All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

How to store spare key fob?

Old 02-10-2019, 11:06 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Default How to store spare key fob?

I have been storing my spare key fobs with the batteries installed. Once a year I test the key fobs to ensure they are still operational. I've been doing this for the past 10 years and so far so good, I've never needed to replace the batteries. Now that replacement key fobs have quadrupled in price to $1000+ CDN, I'm thinking I should store the fobs with the batteries removed to eliminate the risk of the batteries leaking and damaging the fob. I understand this will require a re-programming of the fob to re-enable the lock/unlock function. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced leaky key fob batteries?

Old 02-10-2019, 11:42 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: How to store spare key fob?

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I have been storing my spare key fobs with the batteries installed. Once a year I test the key fobs to ensure they are still operational. I've been doing this for the past 10 years and so far so good, I've never needed to replace the batteries. Now that replacement key fobs have quadrupled in price to $1000+ CDN, I'm thinking I should store the fobs with the batteries removed to eliminate the risk of the batteries leaking and damaging the fob. I understand this will require a re-programming of the fob to re-enable the lock/unlock function. I'd be interested to know if anyone has experienced leaky key fob batteries?
These batteries leak especially as they get old, a watery substance leaks out and is corrosive. I store my spare fob in a drawer without the batteries. Resetting the fob is a five second job, so why risk it?

Old 02-10-2019, 11:57 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Good advice, thanks Dave!

Old 02-10-2019, 01:37 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts

Or just replace the batteries every five years?

Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bluecoupe
I just use the FOB's, I have both with me when traveling.