CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   All Crossfires (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/)
-   -   Help!!! Cooling Fan and A/C issues (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/all-crossfires/79665-help-cooling-fan-c-issues.html)

manlaw38 02-14-2019 12:03 AM

Help!!! Cooling Fan and A/C issues

I bought this 2005 Maroon 6speed coupe Crossfire in Oct 2018 with issues , always wanted one but could not afford when new. this is a Spring project .
It runs great it needs front tires and these items mentioned it has 144,000 miles on it has some clear coat peeling on car. wish I knew a local group of Crossfire owners in Maryland that could get togethers and local help.
1. Cooling fan does not work also the A/C does not work
the car had a weird heavy duty red amp wire with a big fuse from the fan control box to battery. along the fire wall I removed it didn't belong there,
I noticed it was spliced into the harness above the Fan control box. Car has no codes NO Check engine light on
I took the thick Red wire off because it was sparking from either pos or neg. very weird set up !!!
I checked every fuse I could find in the car . several were blown and replaced them which fixed several problems like the remotes now work.
I took the fan control box apart it seemed ok no frying I resealed it with silicone . I also noticed the fuse box with 3 fuses on left side of fire wall near shock tower
2. 200 amp to Battery
3. 50 amp ABS
4. 50 amp fuse to fan control box which was blown I replaced it
these fuses are hard to find but I got one
I will need to look into the harness near fan control box which is taped up its a thick wire which looks like it was cut to put on the red amp wire along the fire wall which was added I took it off someone mucked up this cars wires near fan box. wonder if a regular fan attached to the water pump like the old days
3. the car dash yellow light is on looks like a radiator
also the yellow light for the lights out several were out so I replaced with a few LED bulbs 2 rear side marker lights and tag lights are all LED. So perhaps LEDs are not good used in this car from what I have read . So only lights on dash are radiator and light out sensor, also the TPS is on so 3 lights on dash
I must get the cooling fan fixed because I cant get it registered and tagged due to not being safe to drive. soon it will classify as a classic and be able to register as Antique cant wait for that.
when car is idling the temp gauge goes over half way but since it is still cold here it does seem to not over heat
but one night I was idling it got warmed up and the pressure in the top radiator hose popped while I was setting in car guess cause it wasn't cooling but he gauge never showed over heating so for now
I taped the hose and added antifreeze till I can put new hose on I even bought a new thermostat . The hoses are rather spongy. but is it normal for the hoses to be so tight ? when warmed up. the cooling reservoir over flowed as I opened it carefully so the person before me added to much coolant but I never noticed a line on the reservoir to show limit line. the heater works great . NO A/C
This is my first Chrysler Mercedes so I feel very intimidated with this car due to it can be rather costly to repair when things do go wrong
I have bought several used parts on Ebay another cooling fan control box and harness cut back to the fire wall from a wrecked Crossfire. wish I could buy a parts car.
I did bypass the cooling fan to see if it was not the fan . The fan is working so guess the control box is my issue and harness. hope if I get this harness figured out and hope the radiator light will go out and the A/C pump will cycle ?? . hope I don't need a computer to do this repair.
I bought this car cheap $1700 so guess if worse comes to worse I guess I could part it out But hate to let it go since I love looking at it in the driveway. but the guy I bought it from on Letgo had trouble selling it . he had it on Letgo for months .
hope I wasn't rambling on about this just new to forums and Im not computer savy and wish things were easier to fix like the older cars. but younger people are more computer literate . Thanks for any imput

zip439 02-14-2019 09:54 AM

Re: Help !!! Cooling Fan and A/C issues

click on this link it is in the technical section of this forum. You will find the service manuals and wiring diagrams available to download onto your computer:
crossfire-problems-repairs.html

seems like you are doing the right things to correct the problems. The warning lights will go out after short drive when the problems are corrected. The A/C may start working after you get the fan problem corrected, so don't mess with the A/C until the fan is working correctly. Sounds like you need to do a complete flush and anti freeze drain and replacement. Use only the correct anti freeze ( Zerex G05) when you replace the thermostat.
There is a good group of Crossfire owners in Maryland. Check the clubs section near the bottom of the forums main page.
Good luck and have fun with it; When it begins to seem too much like a job, take a break.

RED DOG 05-25-2019 04:58 PM

Thanks to ManLaw38 for his post here where he wrote: "I also noticed the fuse box with 3 fuses on left side of fire wall near shock tower" (Actually it is mounted on the RH shock tower)
2. 200 amp to Battery
3. 50 amp ABS
these fuses are hard to find but I got one"

My electric cooling fan was not working on the Aero Blue SRT6 that am refurbishing for my grandson. It triggered the "low coolant" idiot light on the dash. I changed out the coolant level sensor in the coolant resevoir with one known to be working . . . No change. I changed out the cooling fan from my parts car (also known to be working) but still no change. (I fear I'm getting more and more like a Chrysler Stealership service tech . . . Just keep throwing in new parts at the problem an hope you might eventually fix it . . .LOL)

Then I went on a serious search of the forum to find the fuse that controlled that fan. After several threads led me astray with misinformation, my search eventually took me to this thread. Sure enough . . . there are THREE inline fuses inside a little black box mounted on the RH shock tower. These are apparently mystery fuses hidden in plain sight because they are not referenced anywhere in the owner's manual. (I didn't have to go so far as to look in Service Manual . . . Whew!) Sure enough, there is a 50 amp inline fuse inside that box labeled "Electric suction type fan". I took out that fuse and it was blown. Took the same fuse out of my parts car to replace it and VOILA . . . everything is working again!

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cro...e8a9220181.jpg

pizzaguy 05-25-2019 05:18 PM

The engine cooling fan is a good diagnostic tool. Once you understand how the "Power train control module" (also referred to as the "ECM" or "engine computer") and the Fan Control Module (FCM) communicate, you can tell a bit more about what is power up and working and what isn't. THis is why DJ and I, when someone says the starter on their car won't engage and turn the engine over, we always ask "Does the engine fan run at full speed if you just turn the key on"?

The ECM and FCM 'talk' constantly when ever the key is in the "ON" position. The exchange is like this:

ECM: "Are you there? Run fan at speed X (X = 0 to 100 percent)."
FCM: "I'm here, I"m OK, got it."

As long at that exchange takes place, everything is fine. The ECM will watch the coolant temperature and speed the fan up if needed. If you turn the A/C on, the climate control tells the ECM, it then throttles up a bit to compenstate for the load, enables the A/C Clutch, and tells the fan to run at minimum speed to draw air across the condenser.

If the ECM does not get an answer back from the FCM when it says "Are you there?", it lights the light on the dash that we call the "Low Coolant Light"; but it is not a "low coolant light" it is the "General Cooling System Alarm" light, many things will cause the ECM to turn it on.

If the FCM does not hear from the ECM, it runs the fan at HIGH speed (Emergency Mode) to protect the engine (since obviously the ECM is not telling the FCM what to do). The most common cause of this is where the RCM has failed to power up the ECM, in which case the car wont start or engage the starter (the famous "Mystery no Start"). THIS is why DJ and I always ask, "does the fan run on high speed if you turn the key on"? If it does, then the FCM is powered up but the ECM is not 'talking' which means it's probalby not powered up, due to a bad RCM.

If the car runs fine, but the fan runs at full speed and the coolant light is on - the FCM is bad.
If the car runs fine, but the fan runs at full speed and the coolant light is on - either the FCM is bad or the ECM is bad OR the ECM is in some sort of mode where it's confused*.

*I saw this last scenario once. The way I cleared it was to shut the car off and disconnect the battery for a minute or so. I reconnected the battery and started the car - everything was fine. Didn't do it again.

pizzaguy 05-25-2019 05:23 PM

I"m done editing, Bob! :)

onehundred80 05-25-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 923626)
I"m done editing, Bob! :)

I think you can edit it some more, the fifth line from the bottom is repeated as the start of the fourth line from the bottom. ;)

Jim Holian 05-25-2019 06:25 PM

Red dog - You said the in line 50 and 200 amp fuses were hard to find. Where did you find them? I'd like to keep a spare of each. Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, Chrysler or Mercedes (heaven forbid), or somewhere else? Let us know. It would be good information for our files.

Jim

RED DOG 05-25-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Holian (Post 923628)
Red dog - You said the in line 50 and 200 amp fuses were hard to find. Where did you find them? I'd like to keep a spare of each. Autozone, Advance Auto, NAPA, Chrysler or Mercedes (heaven forbid), or somewhere else? Let us know. It would be good information for our files.

Jim

Hi Jim, I didn't say those inline fuses were hard to find. The post starter ManLaw38 said that. I just had to walk into my backyard and pull the 50 amp fuse off my parts car (as I related in MY post). LOL

I think these are the current (more modern) version of those fuses:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Install-Bay...5.c10#viTabs_0

They are called ANL fuses and are readily available on E-Bay . . .

pizzaguy 05-25-2019 08:54 PM

NAPA has them. (And O'Reilly has them online, but do not appear to have them in store. )

Valk 05-25-2019 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
NAPA has them. (And O'Reilly has them online, but do not appear to have them in store. )

I think I'd like a spare one of each of these for my emergency kit
Where can I order all 3 of these ?
I want to be certain I buy the correct fuses

RED DOG 05-26-2019 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Valk (Post 923632)
I think I'd like a spare one of each of these for my emergency kit
Where can I order all 3 of these ?
I want to be certain I buy the correct fuses

Hey Gary, Look what I found . . . https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-CHRYSL...rd!33037!US!-1

All three fuses in their own little carrying case!

Valk 05-26-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Hey Gary, Look what I found . . . https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-CHRYSL...rd!33037!US!-1

All three fuses in their own little carrying case!

I'd prefer new fuses though

onehundred80 05-27-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by RED DOG (Post 923623)
Thanks to ManLaw38 for his post here where he wrote: "I also noticed the fuse box with 3 fuses on left side of fire wall near shock tower" (Actually it is mounted on the RH shock tower)
2. 200 amp to Battery
3. 50 amp ABS
these fuses are hard to find but I got one"

My electric cooling fan was not working on the Aero Blue SRT6 that am refurbishing for my grandson. It triggered the "low coolant" idiot light on the dash. I changed out the coolant level sensor in the coolant resevoir with one known to be working . . . No change. I changed out the cooling fan from my parts car (also known to be working) but still no change. (I fear I'm getting more and more like a Chrysler Stealership service tech . . . Just keep throwing in new parts at the problem an hope you might eventually fix it . . .LOL)

Then I went on a serious search of the forum to find the fuse that controlled that fan. After several threads led me astray with misinformation, my search eventually took me to this thread. Sure enough . . . there are THREE inline fuses inside a little black box mounted on the RH shock tower. These are apparently mystery fuses hidden in plain sight because they are not referenced anywhere in the owner's manual. (I didn't have to go so far as to look in Service Manual . . . Whew!) Sure enough, there is a 50 amp inline fuse inside that box labeled "Electric suction type fan". I took out that fuse and it was blown. Took the same fuse out of my parts car to replace it and VOILA . . . everything is working again!

One question.
What caused the fuse to blow?

ala_xfire 05-27-2019 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 923684)
One question.
What caused the fuse to blow?

Too much current :) :) :)

onehundred80 05-27-2019 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire (Post 923686)
Too much current :) :) :)

You got up this morning as sharp as a tack.. ;)
I was trying to find out what caused that amount of draw on the battery, maybe a jammed up fan?
There is not much point in putting in a new fuse if the problem still exists, especially at the price they are.

ala_xfire 05-27-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 923694)
You got up this morning as sharp as a tack.. ;)
I was trying to find out what caused that amount of draw on the battery, maybe a jammed up fan?
There is not much point in putting in a new fuse if the problem still exists, especially at the price they are.

I know what you meant, but couldn't pass up the opportunity :)
My guess would indeed be a jammed fan or stuck relay causing the fan to run all the time and get hot.

Thesaint899 05-30-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by zip439 (Post 919049)
click on this link it is in the technical section of this forum. You will find the service manuals and wiring diagrams available to download onto your computer:
crossfire-problems-repairs.html

seems like you are doing the right things to correct the problems. The warning lights will go out after short drive when the problems are corrected. The A/C may start working after you get the fan problem corrected, so don't mess with the A/C until the fan is working correctly. Sounds like you need to do a complete flush and anti freeze drain and replacement. Use only the correct anti freeze ( Zerex G05) when you replace the thermostat.
There is a good group of Crossfire owners in Maryland. Check the clubs section near the bottom of the forums main page.
Good luck and have fun with it; When it begins to seem too much like a job, take a break.

Could be the cooling fan I found one at an junk yard for $35 worked perfect.
TheSaint

manlaw38 08-27-2019 11:28 PM

Thanks so much for your post Red dog I did find this months ago and this was the culprit I just found this post from you > I am still having trouble with the AC compressor not engaging so not sure why I noticed another member from England who had same issue but he never answered me anyway I haven't a reader and am afraid to bypass the wires on the top of the AC dryer in the lower side of the drivers side U.S cars it has 3 wires . I have bypassed these on older model Fords which engage the AC compressor. but I read do not do this on the Crossfire because it could damage something. The AC system seems full I put a gauge on it and tried to add 134 Freon but shows it is over full now. But my truck does same thing until the compressor engages. thanks for all you kind help

manlaw38 08-27-2019 11:58 PM

Hi Zip439,
I just come across your kind support you made back in Feb . I wish this site was easier to use . I am not good at posting on these forums and unless I read others comments only to make a post I am lost lololo. Being a senior not computer literate it gets tough figuring things out.. In fact I forget how to post other than to make a response to your comment I got the fan worked out and someone had hacked the wires on the cooling box due to the blown fuses that Red dog commented about I figured this out back in the spring and the fan spins great , but only when the AC button is pushed but the compressor does not engage the car never over heats. I add antifreeze but I will have to look into the antifreeze you mentioned this now worries me did I screw something using a diluted over the counter antifreeze YIKES the car is not on the road yet as I am not able to fix certain things as I can afford them . My latest situation is my 2nd key fob broke last week I bought a ebay key fob case and the dam thig hit the driveway and the transponder popped out the Crossfire and now I only have one key that starts the car . And I have tried to get it replaced and wowowowowo over $600 for a key remote just to pricey for me and now I read about a Skreem unit some are having problems with wowowowow another $600 very scary perhaps I made a bad decision on this purchase ?? I love this little car so much blaze red coupe.
I also own also a 2011 Ford Mustang and I bought 2 VW type flip keys and programed them and linked the transponder to my car only cost me $15 for 2 complete aftermarket flip keys why cant Chrysler or Mercedes do this ughhh Thanks guys for all your kind help .

pizzaguy 08-28-2019 10:47 AM

If you think this site is hard to use, try keeping track of things on Facebook. Here, all ya gotta do is scroll down the page and click on what you want to read.

You can do your part. Your post is hard to read (at least for us older folks), try using the return key to break thoughts up:

Originally Posted by manlaw38 (Post 928521)
Hi Zip439,
I just come across your kind support you made back in Feb . I wish this site was easier to use . I am not good at posting on these forums and unless I read others comments only to make a post I am lost lololo. Being a senior not computer literate it gets tough figuring things out..

In fact I forget how to post other than to make a response to your comment I got the fan worked out and someone had hacked the wires on the cooling box due to the blown fuses that Red dog commented about I figured this out back in the spring and the fan spins great , but only when the AC button is pushed but the compressor does not engage the car never over heats.

I add antifreeze but I will have to look into the antifreeze you mentioned this now worries me did I screw something using a diluted over the counter antifreeze YIKES the car is not on the road yet as I am not able to fix certain things as I can afford them .

My latest situation is my 2nd key fob broke last week I bought a ebay key fob case and the dam thig hit the driveway and the transponder popped out the Crossfire and now I only have one key that starts the car . And I have tried to get it replaced and wowowowowo over $600 for a key remote just to pricey for me and now I read about a Skreem unit some are having problems with wowowowow another $600 very scary perhaps I made a bad decision on this purchase ?? I love this little car so much blaze red coupe.

I also own also a 2011 Ford Mustang and I bought 2 VW type flip keys and programed them and linked the transponder to my car only cost me $15 for 2 complete aftermarket flip keys why cant Chrysler or Mercedes do this ughhh Thanks guys for all your kind help .

Oh, and the price of SKREEMS and KEYS does not bother me. Fine, I MIGHT have to buy one some day. Same for the convertible top - I finally had to buy one after ten years of ownership.

What gets me is $900 for a set of tires that lasts 20,000 miles. I have lost count, but I think I've spent at least $8100 on tires in ten years - just for my Roadster. Who the hell cares about keys? Im more worried about not being able to buy them, than what they cost.