All Crossfires A place to discuss any model of the Crossfire.

HELP!! Need NEW NOS/OEM Driver's Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

Old 03-09-2019, 05:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation HELP!! Need NEW NOS/OEM Driver's Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

Anyone know of a source for a NEW NOS/OEM Drivers' Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

Anybody know where to get such a creature? All dealers and suppliers are saying it's no longer available, and I'm not finding anything from traditional sources like Ebay/Hemmings, etc. I do NOT want used, or I'm sure I would be in the same situation.

There was some work done on the door requiring it be removed, and it was left undulating, crooked, and bumpy with even a section of the strip pulling away from the glass with potential to allow water to get down in the door - even though I don't ever really drive this car in the rain. I had to drive it briefly in the rain the other day, for a short while, and noticed the rain water was going into that detached lip of the seal like it was a magnet to water!

I think when the shop removed it they assumed they could simply get the part new as a replacement, which is understandable; but I suspect they then found they had to use the old one they took off, You can't straighten these things once they get kinked. They are a great place and willing to correct the situation, but they are having as hard a time as myself finding a NEW/NOS replacement.

HELP!!

By the way, I would have posted in the WTB section, but this is urgent, and I'm not getting any traction on replies/sources. I'm not just looking to buy it from someone here; would gladly, but I'm also searching if anyone knows of where one can be bought.

Last edited by Heli-Cal Blue; 03-09-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM
Received 540 Likes on 456 Posts
Default Re: HELP!! Need NEW NOS/OEM Driver's Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

Originally Posted by Heli-Cal Blue
Anyone know of a source for a NEW NOS/OEM Drivers' Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

Anybody know where to get such a creature? All dealers and suppliers are saying it's no longer available, and I'm not finding anything from traditional sources like Ebay/Hemmings, etc. I do NOT want used, or I'm sure I would be in the same situation.

There was some work done on the door requiring it be removed, and it was left undulating, crooked, and bumpy with even a section of the strip pulling away from the glass with potential to allow water to get down in the door - even though I don't ever really drive this car in the rain. I had to drive it briefly in the rain the other day, for a short while, and noticed the rain water was going into that detached lip of the seal like it was a magnet to water!

I think when the shop removed it they assumed they could simply get the part new as a replacement, which is understandable; but I suspect they then found they had to use the old one they took off, You can't straighten these things once they get kinked. They are a great place and willing to correct the situation, but they are having as hard a time as myself finding a NEW/NOS replacement.

HELP!!

By the way, I would have posted in the WTB section, but this is urgent, and I'm not getting any traction on replies/sources. I'm not just looking to buy it from someone here; would gladly, but I'm also searching if anyone knows of where one can be bought.

These will be commonly made I am sure and probably can be purchased by the foot, finding where is the trick.
Look under auto glass weatherstrip.
See Crown Automotive on Amazon and see if you can see the section shape you need.

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-10-2019 at 06:42 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: HELP!! Need NEW NOS/OEM Driver's Side Door Ledge/sill Window Seal Strip!

the only way to get one is in a junk yard and YOU must remove it as so YOU don't bend it as YOU are removing it I had 2 used ones , both drivers door,,, that i removed in a yard but the one left has a few bends in it ,,, i reinstalled my old one ,,,,i installed it the best i could,,then took it to a body shop they screwed it up to the point it could no be used...I had installed my spare and for the last few months,, very lightly i tap the high spots with a mallet,, it is 85% as i would like it ,, i do have one spare left for a coupe driver's door, i paid $80 for it yes i would sell it ( as it) because it will never fit like it is suppose to good luck. jim

Old 05-29-2020, 03:44 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Has anybody by chance found said part? I too am having this problem of it being kinked in the middle and water is getting into the door. I thought maybe trying to tighten the door panel would help but haven't tried it yet and I don't think it would help. I suppose I will try the junkyards as well and hope they can remove one without destroying it. When I do push the door panel in though it does sit flush with the window so maybe there is some adjusting and or tightening of the door panel that could possibly help? idk at this point. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated, thank you in advance.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sussudio
Has anybody by chance found said part? I too am having this problem of it being kinked in the middle and water is getting into the door. I thought maybe trying to tighten the door panel would help but haven't tried it yet and I don't think it would help. I suppose I will try the junkyards as well and hope they can remove one without destroying it. When I do push the door panel in though it does sit flush with the window so maybe there is some adjusting and or tightening of the door panel that could possibly help? idk at this point. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated, thank you in advance.
If you're feeling handy, you could buy the Mercedes Benz part # 170-727-03-30 and try grafting your upper piece onto that with weatherstripping glue. (The inner sheet metal of the doors and miscellaneous other door pieces are common between our Crossfire and the SLK320.)

You can find that part here, in case you care to try it.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:20 AM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

I have tried to install one removed at a junk yard,, you can't remove it without bends,, the only way i see to fix it is to replace the door with a good part on the door. that is what we did on a coupe that needed it , when the owner had removet it because it was rubbing the glass ,.. the coupe and the roadster do not interchange. jim

Old 05-29-2020, 01:35 PM
JSK
Received 104 Likes on 86 Posts

I bought a new one for an SLK320 for my coupe, I think it was just over $100. It fit fine. I don’t recall a difference between coupe and roadster. That trim just doesn’t live through removal without kinking.

Old 07-12-2020, 03:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ordered the part - will report back with photos and details once received and installed.

Thanks for all the information; it has been aggravating to look at this one and only eyesore about the car since this came about.

Makes it worse that it's on the driver's side I guess, because I see it every time I go to open the door, especially if I get light glancing off it.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:21 AM
KJN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bargegeek
If you're feeling handy, you could buy the Mercedes Benz part # 170-727-03-30 and try grafting your upper piece onto that with weatherstripping glue. (The inner sheet metal of the doors and miscellaneous other door pieces are common between our Crossfire and the SLK320.)

You can find that part here, in case you care to try it.
On the site you refer us to it would be part 4 on the third diagram. It’s the outer half of the mopar part. I will have them both in a few days and do some closeup comparison. If the metal door of both SLK and Crossfire are the same it may fit by splicing the two. However once on the car it may not have the identical look as the mopar part. Hard to notice as it will be on opposite side of your car.

Old 06-29-2021, 02:05 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJN
On the site you refer us to it would be part 4 on the third diagram. It’s the outer half of the mopar part. I will have them both in a few days and do some closeup comparison. If the metal door of both SLK and Crossfire are the same it may fit by splicing the two. However once on the car it may not have the identical look as the mopar part. Hard to notice as it will be on opposite side of your car.
Did you ever take pictures of the two parts side by side? I’m waiting on the SLK part now. It’s heading over from Europe.

Old 10-19-2021, 03:36 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KJN
Well the part used on the SLK finally came in from Europe. Took long enough. It’s in great shape. I could’ve sworn this thread was longer and had more details about how to do this?? Something like splicing the outer part of the XF piece that is essentially two parts connected as one that “sandwiches” the glass together to make the seal. Maybe another thread but I can’t find it though. I’m ready to get this sucker on there. I will be pulling the door card regardless as I’m upgrading the speakers as well. Thanks in advance for any help on this XF fam.