Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

My NEW navigation system and headunit!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My NEW navigation system and headunit!

Just got done installing my new Navigation system.

I've had the head-unit for a while, it is a Kenwood KVT-815. They no longer make them, so I hunted down a refurbished one for approximately $600. This sure was hard to find... The reason why I wanted this particular model so bad is that IT MATCHES SO DAMN WELL! The green lighting (which, you can change to red or blue) and the SILVER FINISH is a perfect match to the console! Look almost factory!

I also have the iPod interface, which isn't too good. Luckily with my iPhone I can set it so i can control all of my music selection within the iPhone and just have it play through the headunit. A definite plus! $50 well spent!

My navigation system is the Kenwood KNA-G510, which is basically a Garmin GPS manufactured to use the Kenwood Video and Touchscreen. I bought it off of ebay for $250, I think it retails for around $600 or something.

If you remember (or check my gallery!) I used to have the Harman Kardon Drive+Play, an old pioneer headunit, and a garmin nuvi 350. I loved my Nuvi to bits, but I acidentally broke it. I also loved my drive+play, I actually had it integrated into the console thanks to JR Industries who did a fantastic job.

But.. I just felt the need to compress everything, the big suction cup on my windshield, and controller **** on my console kind of told thieves "I have money in my car, come and take some stuff!!!!)

Therefore, I wanted my iPod (or iPhone), navigation, and radio all in one. This is why I decided to do this, my iphone cable is tucked neatly away so no one can see it. Everything almost looks stock, so therefore I don't really worry much about anything being stolen.

Here are some pictures, just thought I'd share. I am so happy with this setup I cannot contain myself

IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Default Re: My NEW navigation system and headunit!

It does match quite nicely when folded in.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no more ipod heads up display.... Want to sell it back ?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Forum Regular

Great job! The match is really good.

Now, if I could only find a current model head unit, with all the latest features, that's a decent match.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Looks great. Any big differences between the 815 and the 715? Hard to find info about these units on the net.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn good match on the silver and green. I've been debating forever about getting another flip out nav system...........and/or making a custom setup and putting a nice flush double DIN nav. and relocating the switches.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. I have a simular Kenwood w/ DVD, nav and Sirius built in. I also added an amplifer. Even my daughter is jealous at the sound it puts out as well as db level.

I like your face plate better then mine, which is black.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Toddy
Looks great. Any big differences between the 815 and the 715? Hard to find info about these units on the net.
Sorry about the late replies... kinda forgot!

Still love the unit. I think the only difference between the 815 and 715 is the front dot matrix LCD.. the 715 does not have one.. (and the 715's may not be removable as well..)

RMADER, I agree, I do love the silver tons better then a black one. The only thing disapointing is that this unit is so old (possibly from 2000?) that it is severely outdated. If I had to do it over again I think I would buy a newer unit, to upgrade with satellite radio, easier iPod control, and a better LCD with more options / the ability to update software on it.