Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

component set...and amp install questions

Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default component set...and amp install questions

[yes, I searched...maybe not quite well enough, but I searched]

where are you guys putting your component crossovers? Door, kick panel, hatch area w/ amp? Just wondering what's worked well.

How have you installed your tweets? The stock look to be less than 3/4" dia, and mine are easily 1". I'll probably attach them to the grill/trim bezel piece (attached from behind), but I was wondering what others have done...mostly that's what I've seen on here, tossing the OEM grill and showing the new tweet grill in it's place.

As for the amp, I'm probably going to mount it to the 'hump' like I've seen most do. I haven't seen much in way of how to take that apart to wire underneath it, does anyone have any pics of how they installed? Or just some simple instructions on how the 'hump' comes apart to wire behind?

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. For anyone searching for how to get the door panel off, there are a ton of threads on it with good links to diagrams, but none seemed to really describe how difficult it is to get the door handle front off w/o damaging it a bit. There was a thread that said pry it off from underneath to hide the damage...they weren't kidding, that thing was a pain to take off 'gently'. Also, if you haven't noticed, almost all of the screws are torx of various sizes [you can find that in different threads, but I never noticed it in the 'how to take the panel off' type threads]. And prying the speaker out of the housing wasn't easy either. I ended up takin the whole housing off the door, and bringing it inside to take my time with...it's on there pretty good, let me tell you. There's a little bit of a gluey rubber piece acting as a seal, which I guess is what makes it hard to get off.

Again, thanks for all the help I've already gleaned from other threads, any further info on how you've installed your gear would be appreciated.

dh

Old 02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Default Re: component set...and amp install questions

Didn't want to wait too long to play around...looks like the kick panels are too narrow to use to house crossovers. I'll probably house mine under a seat, on the bottom of the wall behind the drivers seat, or on the backside of the wall [maybe center the amp, and mount a crossover on either side].

Speaking of mounting the amp...how have people run the wires to the back? I've seen that there's a gromet or something from the engine compartment into the cabin, but how do you get past the wall? I peeled the carpet up a little but didn't get a good look.

Thanks,

dh

Old 02-02-2009, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danhaman, You probably haven't gotton any answers because this subject has already been discussed. The audio video electronics forum has twenty pages of thread starters, god knows how many actual posts. Keep trying different search words until you find something. Your answers may also be in a thread that doesn't even look like it covers your subjects but pertains to audio. I'd answer your questions, but I don't know jack about this stuff (well maybe a little)

Old 02-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Forum Regular

All my components are Pioneer and use their IP-BUS method of "cascading" the connection from one device to another. I have three devices stashed in the under-floor compartment on the passenger side, in addition to the supplemental fuse panels I installed to keep the power sorted separate from the car fuse panels.

The components are all fairly thin and small - smaller than the DIN-1 head unit by far. Two fit stacked above the post where the top screw for the floor panel goes, and one fits in the recess under the panel.

My sub has an integrated amp so that 15"x15"x8" box is bolted to a supplemental panel I built in the back hatch area. The panel duplicates the thinner floor panel that covers the tool compartment.

I put a four inch deep riser on top of the old floor panel to compartmentalize some stuff I carry and this sits under the new panel with the sub bolted on. As it's thick plywood the new floor is a lot more suited to supporting the sub than the original materials.

The crossovers fit inside the front door panels (the capacitor modification for the front door speakers).

The iPod fits in the console.

Quite a few people have repurposed the rear tool storage compartment for electronics and subs, at the expense of a good place to store the compressor and flat repair goo.

Now it appears I will be using my newly created compartments under the false floor to house two more components and connections.

It's never ending...

My write ups are located here (click).

Last edited by ppro; 02-02-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:06 PM

That's a pretty sweet set up, I particularly like the 'crossfire' emblem on your head unit. Thanks for the link. When you ran the wiring to the the basslink how did you take it into the hatch? I only played with the wall a little, but it looked like I'd have to take ALL of paneling off to get the wiring past the wall, is that right? In order to pull the rear part of the wall carpet up, I have to pull the wheel well carpet up. In order to get that up, do I have to pull the side liner out [a little]?

I'm going to try to tackle this tomorrow, so I'm just getting the best idea that I can before I jump in...

dh

Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by danhaman
That's a pretty sweet set up, I particularly like the 'crossfire' emblem on your head unit. Thanks for the link. When you ran the wiring to the the basslink how did you take it into the hatch? I only played with the wall a little, but it looked like I'd have to take ALL of paneling off to get the wiring past the wall, is that right? In order to pull the rear part of the wall carpet up, I have to pull the wheel well carpet up. In order to get that up, do I have to pull the side liner out [a little]?

I'm going to try to tackle this tomorrow, so I'm just getting the best idea that I can before I jump in...

dh
I didn't want to get into the trim right away so I put all the wires in a conduit and ran them up the crease of the wall and back down the other side... No very elegant. I think when I get done planning out the latest activity, I will crack into the trim (you are correct) and properly conceal the wiring.

The head unit takes graphics through a program that Pioneer supplies for free. Create your graphics using the tool, burn them to a CD and then feed the CD to the head unit. It's pretty neat. You can put anything there and it looks best if you scale the graphic to the proportion of what's displayed because otherwise it stretches it to fit...

I have read recently that there's a path for wiring that runs under the passenger seat and can be brought over on the passenger side. I will research that when I get ready to clean up my wiring and investigate that. I may also pop the console (which requires removing most of the panels on the fascia) and get that cleaned up too.

Right now you can't really see the wires unless you flip one of the seats forward but it would be nice to completely hide it...