CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Audio, Video and Electronics (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/audio-video-electronics/)
-   -   Which head units require no wiring harness? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/audio-video-electronics/31241-head-units-require-no-wiring-harness.html)

ppro 01-25-2009 08:47 PM

Re: Which head units require no wiring harness?

Originally Posted by Veloce
Tomorrow I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Pioneer DEH-P7000BT w/Hi Def & XM. Where did you stuff all the extra "boxes"

Oh, I'll follow the advice from your web site and order out the antenna splitter, too.

I hope Crutchfield tested it...let me know how it goes.

The extra boxes were placed in spare spaces under the floor with the factory amp, and above in the same general area. I put in a new fuse box too. The wiring for that is on my site. Makes it a lot cleaner and easier to add the extra boxes.

Veloce 01-25-2009 09:09 PM

Thanks.

Your site and me have become quite intimate:rolleyes:

Oh, and if you want to PM me your last Crutchfield 20% discount coupon code, I'll use it and you can get $20 big ones off your next purchase.

brucero 03-04-2009 04:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I just finished installing the Blaupunkt London MP48, which was listed as one of the Plug and Play head units.

Well, I'm pleased to report that it really is. I have a base coupe with the Becker base radio. I wanted the ability to play my Ipod, play MP3 CD disks and better sound. Mission accomplished!

I have attached a series of photos showing how easy it is. Shove in two unlock keys. (provided n/c by Crutchfield, or cheap at Wallmart).... Pull the old radio out...... unplug one wired plug and the antenna from the OEM radio....... Insert the Din adapter sleeve included with the radio, it snaps into place..... plug the antenna adapter onto the factory antenna..... Push in the one wired OEM plug into the radio.(same plug,same place on both radios)... Shove it in, it snaps into place and that's it...

Took me 10 minutes... And I am a novice at this type of things.

The silver color of the radio is a decent match. I elected not to paint the black trim ring, as it matches the HVAC controls and te black vents.

The Blaupunkt London MP48, was $149.99 at Crutchfield - a $20.00 coupon credit courtesy of another member, No tax or shipping sharges. Well worth it. Additional features and greatly improved sound. I thought that I was going to have to replace the speakers, but this new radio is a great improvement.
I'm very happy with the sound, and the fact that I didn't screw anything up.

If you are a first-time Crutchfield customer you can get $20.00 off your order by using the following referral code.

pfq22-tufc4-ja7wt .... I also get a $20.00 credit, no big deal, but $20US currently has some value.

Good luck...

Bruce

Veloce 03-04-2009 07:13 PM

Looks very good.

Great photos.

Thanks for taking the time

blackcrossfire07 03-05-2009 12:21 PM

Did you unplug the battery from the car first? And did you need to add the metal sleeve that came with the radio?

brucero 03-05-2009 12:48 PM

"Did you unplug the battery from the car first? And did you need to add the metal sleeve that came with the radio?"

Yes, and Yes. I detached the negative pole, and the sleeve slides into the OEM radio hole to secure the new radio.

Look at the second photo in my above posting. It shows how the sleeve slides into the orig hole.

Probably didn't have to unplug the battery, but why take a chance of a short while playing around with a bunch of wires.

Cal_Cobra 03-16-2009 07:45 PM

Blaupunkt London MP37 Is Plug-n-Play and ROCKS !!!

I just ordered the Blaupunkt London MP37 and the antenna adapter on Friday and it came today (that was fast, it was shipped from the east coast too!):
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...NDON-f_dgp.jpg
The silver faceplate is a perfect match to the Crossfire's silver interior. I got the Scosche radio removal too at wallyworld, and had the factory deck out in a couple of minutes (one side had to be a PITA, always has to be one PITA thing). Plugged the factory Crossfire stereo harness directly into the Blaupunkt, connected the antenna adaptor and it works great !!

Sounds terrific, although I definitely need to do the bass blocker caps on the door speakers, as the subs aren't doing much. The EQ is great, it really brings the Infinity speakers to life.

I painted the black trim piece silver (it's drying, not sure yet if I like the silver color walyworld had :confused: ).

The Blaupunkt London MP37 has a super good anti-skip memory on the CD player which was important to me as the SRT6 rides a bit stif with our s-h-i-t-t-y CA roads. It has pretty much everything the other Blaupunkt MPxx units have including Variocolor display featuring 4,096 colors for customized appearance to match any dash lighting, EQ, X-Bass, MP3, RDS, iPod and Bluetooth-ready, front panel AUX-In, etc. Mainly I wanted a step up in sound and the ability to play MP3 CD's as I have a ton already, plus the front panel AUX-IN is nice, I can use it with my HTC smartphone's MP3 player.

Once the paint dries on the trim plate, I'll button it up and take it for a rolling audio test. Just playing around with the deck after installing it, I like it. It's very easy to figure everything out (unlike some new decks), and the display looks great matched with the Crossfires green interior retro theme.

Best $85 (including antenna adaptor, removal tool and silver paint) I've spent in a long time. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference the bass blocker caps do. If anyone want's a great stereo upgrade without breaking the bank, I highly recommend this deck :p

blackcrossfire07 03-16-2009 08:45 PM

Re: Blaupunkt London MP37 Is Plug-n-Play and ROCKS !!!

Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra
I just ordered the Blaupunkt London MP37 and the antenna adapter on Friday and it came today (that was fast, it was shipped from the east coast too!):
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/pro...NDON-f_dgp.jpg
The silver faceplate is a perfect match to the Crossfire's silver interior. I got the Scosche radio removal too at wallyworld, and had the factory deck out in a couple of minutes (one side had to be a PITA, always has to be one PITA thing). Plugged the factory Crossfire stereo harness directly into the Blaupunkt, connected the antenna adaptor and it works great !!

Sounds terrific, although I definitely need to do the bass blocker caps on the door speakers, as the subs aren't doing much. The EQ is great, it really brings the Infinity speakers to life.

I painted the black trim piece silver (it's drying, not sure yet if I like the silver color walyworld had :confused: ).

The Blaupunkt London MP37 has a super good anti-skip memory on the CD player which was important to me as the SRT6 rides a bit stif with our s-h-i-t-t-y CA roads. It has pretty much everything the other Blaupunkt MPxx units have including Variocolor display featuring 4,096 colors for customized appearance to match any dash lighting, EQ, X-Bass, MP3, RDS, iPod and Bluetooth-ready, front panel AUX-In, etc. Mainly I wanted a step up in sound and the ability to play MP3 CD's as I have a ton already, plus the front panel AUX-IN is nice, I can use it with my HTC smartphone's MP3 player.

Once the paint dries on the trim plate, I'll button it up and take it for a rolling audio test. Just playing around with the deck after installing it, I like it. It's very easy to figure everything out (unlike some new decks), and the display looks great matched with the Crossfires green interior retro theme.

Best $85 (including antenna adaptor, removal tool and silver paint) I've spent in a long time. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference the bass blocker caps do. If anyone want's a great stereo upgrade without breaking the bank, I highly recommend this deck :p

Great Deal Cal Cobra. I am glad everything worked out. The radio is NICE! And great that it is a plug and play! Just watch out for the back AUX jack. There was some hissing noise for me and I wasn't happy with the adaptor. Maybe it was just me!

Cal_Cobra 03-16-2009 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by blackcrossfire07
Great Deal Cal Cobra. I am glad everything worked out. The radio is NICE! And great that it is a plug and play! Just watch out for the back AUX jack. There was some hissing noise for me and I wasn't happy with the adaptor. Maybe it was just me!

I didn't need the rear AUX adapter because it has a front one on the faceplate. That sucks that the adapter added hiss, were you able to figure out what was causing it ?

I used my HTC to play MP3's via the front AUX-IN and it worked well. A small amount of hiss was heard on pause, but it was such a small amount that it would be negated by road noise while driving.

I played Pink Floyd DSotM, both Time and The Great Gig in the Sky, and I was able to crank the system up with no destortion (not an easy feat with Time, especially during the clock sequence) and Clare Torry was crystal clear during The Great Gig in the Sky (also a good test for clarity in a system). I wasn't able to do this with the Infinity/Becker head unit.

I'm impressed, and I'm not easily impressed with car or home audio systems (I have an Orion competition system in my commmuter car with an Orion XTR 4 channel amp running Orion 2 ohm components and Infinity Kappa 3-way 6x9's in the rear). The stock Crossfire Infinity speakers are darn good with the right head unit.

blackcrossfire07 03-18-2009 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra
I didn't need the rear AUX adapter because it has a front one on the faceplate. That sucks that the adapter added hiss, were you able to figure out what was causing it ?

I used my HTC to play MP3's via the front AUX-IN and it worked well. A small amount of hiss was heard on pause, but it was such a small amount that it would be negated by road noise while driving.

I played Pink Floyd DSotM, both Time and The Great Gig in the Sky, and I was able to crank the system up with no destortion (not an easy feat with Time, especially during the clock sequence) and Clare Torry was crystal clear during The Great Gig in the Sky (also a good test for clarity in a system). I wasn't able to do this with the Infinity/Becker head unit.

I'm impressed, and I'm not easily impressed with car or home audio systems (I have an Orion competition system in my commmuter car with an Orion XTR 4 channel amp running Orion 2 ohm components and Infinity Kappa 3-way 6x9's in the rear). The stock Crossfire Infinity speakers are darn good with the right head unit.

I am still waiting for my front adaptor plug but I am sure the sound will be better than the rear aux cable. I was never able to adjust the sound it so I just pulled out the rear cable. 20 dollars down the drain! I have been listening to an MP3 disc I made. I love the fact it plays MP3 CD's. And you are right.... the sound is incredible. Much better than the stock radio!

Cal_Cobra 03-18-2009 02:40 PM

Blaupunkt London MP37 Plug-n-Play

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what the Blaupunkt London MP37 Plug-n-Play head unit looks like installed:

Attachment 48906

I haven't sealed it in yet as I need to install the metal sleeve tonight, but I painted the trim plate, and I think it looks good. I've noticed some of the stereo trim plates are seriously rounded on the corners and it doesn't look good (round peg in a square hole syndrome). This is clean, it almost looks like a factory installed deck IMHO.

winstonscifi 05-03-2009 09:28 PM

I'm confused- does this unit have a cd slot? Or does the faceplate fold down to allow you to play cd's. I have a creative zen mp3 player that I would use the aux input for. But I still would like to play cds. Thanks in advance!

blackcrossfire07 05-03-2009 09:39 PM

The front plate should flip down. I have a Blaupunkt London mp48 and the front pops down so you could insert the cd. It is great because it also plays MP3 discs.

winstonscifi 05-03-2009 10:08 PM

I just went on Crutchfield and the earlier unit is discontinued. Should I go with the London unit? I want it to have an aux input on the front panel and the ability to play cds. Also, it should look like a stock unit. I have the base coupe from 07. It is the base radio too. Thanks!

Cal_Cobra 05-04-2009 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by winstonscifi
I just went on Crutchfield and the earlier unit is discontinued. Should I go with the London unit? I want it to have an aux input on the front panel and the ability to play cds. Also, it should look like a stock unit. I have the base coupe from 07. It is the base radio too. Thanks!

The face pops down to access the CD slot, and it does play MP3s. I tried the aux port with the MP3 player on my phone and it works well. Crutchfield no longer sells this unit (I believe it was a 2007/2008 model), but I bought it from a reputable dealer on eBay for $75 which included free shipping (fast shipping) and also had to purchase an antenna euro to US adapter, which I also got from eBay for $6 shipped.

This deck really brought the factory amp and door speakers to life, they sound terrific now. Next I'll add the bass blocker caps I got from Max to the door speakers to see if I can coax some sound from the subwoofers :rolleyes:

psu_doug 05-12-2009 08:26 PM

Just installed the blaupunkt mp48 (london) too. I gave it to my brother to install because he works at best buy and does it for a living. he said it was one of the easiest installs he has ever done. i would say it was less then 10 minutes. i only needed his tool to remove the factory headunit and i could have done it myself no problem.

headunit replaced - new 6.5 inch subs behind the seats and components in the doors next!

winstonscifi 05-21-2009 09:35 PM

OK, I just bought the London unit MP48 from Crutchfield. It was 149.99, but there was a $20.00 coupon code "3A825" that I got off the internet. The total price was $129.99. This includes the din tools to remove the old head unit, the wiring harness, the antenna adapter, and complete instructions. Oh, shipping was free. Crutchfield has "low inventory" on this unit, so if anyone else is interested, you better hurry. My unit should reach me on 5/31/09. I'll update when I install. Thanks to everyone who helped on this thread. I can't believe how much information is on this forum!

Tamadx 05-22-2009 09:11 AM

when i go to cruchfield it is saying i need a volkswagon harness.... i dont get this...

and the coupon code is not valid wah wah

brucero 05-22-2009 11:53 AM

Look at post 23 above. The photos show step by step that it is just a Plug and Play install. Crutchfield sends a harness for FREE , which you don't need in the Crossfire. Trust me.... It's simple.

What code did you use?

Try the code in that posting. If it doesn't work, I'll contact Crutchfield.

Bruce

Tamadx 05-22-2009 01:43 PM

i used my discover card points to get the headunit. i called them and we worked it all out. it needs to be over 200 to use the first time buyer thing.