Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Blaupunkt's St. Louis MP56 is plug 'n play

Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Blaupunkt's St. Louis MP56 is plug 'n play

So you won the auction, paid for it, and he refunded the payment and refused to sell it to you?

He's obligated by eBay to sell it to you. Be sure to let him know that you'll leave negative feedback if he doesn't follow through. With a feedback score of only 20, a negative is going to kill him.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM

I also bought one of those units from Agut last week. I suspect that he got a sudden uptick in interest (because of this thread and us buyers) and decided that your price wasn't worth it. Of course, that's not playing by the rules. Just because you slipped in with a sweet winning bid is no reason for him not to honor the contract to sell. After all he set the starting price and didn't establish a reserve.

I'm still waiting to finish my install. The two removal tools that came with the Blaupunkt are not what works to take the Infinity HU out, as those of you who have done it know. I went to Walmart as somebody suggested and for $3.96 got a set of tools that worked brilliantly (plus some other tools for radio work that came in the same package). With the right tools, the Infinity unit came out slicker than ox snot. I unclipped the harness, and then realized that my antenna adapter wasn't going to fit on the connection. I had ordered this adapter from Parts Express because I had another order in with them and wanted to save on shipping, but the adapter wasn't Scosche brand and I simply picked one that wasn't going to work.

I went back to Wally World again, on line, and ordered the proper Schosche adapte, although I see where confusion still reigns as to part numbers. It's supposed to be on the way and I'm getting impatient. This would be a 15-minute job if I had had all the proper bits when I started (except for spraying the surround trim, a chore I have been putting off).

I will report in when everything is finally buttoned up and sweet tunes are filling the cockpit.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM

Hilarious. We've all probably been bidding against each other in these auctions. I won mine last Friday after watching 2 auctions end with a flurry of last second bidding pushing the price over his original $130 buy it now price, so I just picked off one for his $130 price. I noticed after that he listed a few more for $150, so he probably thought he could get more for them.

Originally Posted by Serendip
I also bought one of those units from Agut last week. I suspect that he got a sudden uptick in interest (because of this thread and us buyers) and decided that your price wasn't worth it. Of course, that's not playing by the rules. Just because you slipped in with a sweet winning bid is no reason for him not to honor the contract to sell. After all he set the starting price and didn't establish a reserve.

I'm still waiting to finish my install. The two removal tools that came with the Blaupunkt are not what works to take the Infinity HU out, as those of you who have done it know. I went to Walmart as somebody suggested and for $3.96 got a set of tools that worked brilliantly (plus some other tools for radio work that came in the same package). With the right tools, the Infinity unit came out slicker than ox snot. I unclipped the harness, and then realized that my antenna adapter wasn't going to fit on the connection. I had ordered this adapter from Parts Express because I had another order in with them and wanted to save on shipping, but the adapter wasn't Scosche brand and I simply picked one that wasn't going to work.

I went back to Wally World again, on line, and ordered the proper Schosche adapte, although I see where confusion still reigns as to part numbers. It's supposed to be on the way and I'm getting impatient. This would be a 15-minute job if I had had all the proper bits when I started (except for spraying the surround trim, a chore I have been putting off).

I will report in when everything is finally buttoned up and sweet tunes are filling the cockpit.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM

If I remember correctly, I got mine Thursday night, sneaking in with a last second bid that was nearly as high as the buy it now price (which I planned to do on another unit if I hadn't won the one I did). I got it for something like $122, so it wasn't much under the buy it now.

It still sucks what he's doing to Brucero though.

I have high hopes for this unit. It's German, like the car and has a good rep for audio. I really wanted a unit that works with a USB card, too. I have about 18 GB of music on mp3 that I actually like and listen to regularly on my computer. Rather than fool with an IPod (which I don't have--I do have a 16 GB Sansa View that's flash memory) I would rather load a flash drive with music, plug it in, and use it to shuffle play my personal playlist. I'm a bit concerned about the fussiness reported earlier in this thread over the MP56's interface with different USB drives, but we will see.

I routed the USB cable down to the passenger footwell into the elastic keeper where it is quite unnoticeable. I originally planned to put it in the glove box, but it looks pretty complicated to run it there. Plus the knee bags scare me about drilling blindly away.

Last edited by Serendip; 02-13-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:24 PM
Forum Regular

What is brand/color of the paint y'all are using?

Old 02-14-2009, 01:23 PM

The paint I used is "Now" brand--the sticker shows it came from Ace Hardware, probably a house brand. Who knows how long ago I bought it. The color is aluminum. I didn't do a great job with the spraying, but I'll likely never notice it.

The install is complete. I got tired of waiting on Walmart for the antenna adapter, and found one in a local car stereo shop I never knew existed. It was an easy matter to plug that in along with the harness plug and the USB, slide it into the hole and snap on the trim piece.

It sounds great. I have an unschooled ear for fine audio (not to mention sorely abused over the years), but it's just great. All the bass I care for (after the capacitor mod to the door speakers). I slid in a Graceland CD that I know well, and it's never been better. The tuner seems to be better at fringe stations. I loaded a 2GB flash drive with about 60 songs, attached it, toggled source, and it automatically began playing MP3s.

I played with the settings and changed to color to a green that I think will match the dash lights pretty well, but will need to see them at night to be sure.

All in all, for the bucks I consider it a sound investment.

Get it?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7277.JPG (788.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Veloce
What is brand/color of the paint y'all are using?
I used Rustoleum Silver Metallic, available at Home Depot or Lowes. It's a little brighter and more shiny than the stock interior, but it looks fine. There was also a Nickel Metallic color that might look a little better.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 AM

The radio is hard to find, are there any other Blaupunkt models that are plug and play? and also silver?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the Blaupunkt radios have some silver on them and might look fine in the Crossfire dash. I don't think any of them are all silver - but the other color is generally black which goes with our Crossfire's as well. And many of the radios have color screens, so you can make a good match with the Crossfire lighting too. Not sure about the plugs, but no reason to think they'd be significantly different on other models across their line. The plugs might be covered in the manuals - I haven't checked.

Notes:
1.) The Blaupunkt USA site seems to get the models about 1 year after they first appear in Europe.

2.) On the European sites they only mention the relevant European radio bands - but don't worry. Reading the manuals makes it clear that the US bands are in there too and it's just a configuration choice.

3.) In December 2008, after about 75 years as a Bosch Corp. subsidiary, Bosch agreed to sell Blaupunkt to an equity group. Probably a good thing for the long run as Bosch had not done much with Blaupunkt lately and the new firm wants to update the company.

The USA site - has several older models (when compared to Europe)
www.blaupunkt.com/us

The German site where Blaupunkt is located. The latest and greatest. You can see the German site translated to English by first going to translate.google.com The German site also has the most accessories, peripheral equipment, manuals, etc.
www.blaupunkt.com/de

The British site. Pretty current, and in English too!
www.blaupunkt.com/uk

Last edited by eganders; 02-18-2009 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The paint I used is "Now" brand--the sticker shows it came from Ace Hardware, probably a house brand. Who knows how long ago I bought it. The color is aluminum. I didn't do a great job with the spraying, but I'll likely never notice it.

...The tuner seems to be better at fringe stations....
It looks terrific in your dash.

Blaupunkt is known for making some great radio tuners.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine showed up today, I hope the local wamart has the radio removal tools in stock.

Last edited by mrphotoman; 02-18-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by eganders
It looks terrific in your dash..
Thanks. I didn't pay attention to the song information on display when I snapped the pic and consequently find it kind of embarrassing. I had made a quick and dirty "mix" flash drive of lovey-dovey tunes to listen to while traveling to a nice restaurant with my wife on Valentine's night. My signature below has a picture of her in the car that evening. What can I say?

Old 02-18-2009, 01:13 PM

Thanks. I didn't pay attention to the song information on display when I snapped the pic and consequently find it kind of embarrassing. I had made a quick and dirty "mix" flash drive of lovey-dovey tunes to listen to while traveling to a nice restaurant with my wife on Valentine's night. My signature below has a picture of her in the car that evening. What can I say?
Lol, the admin will have to change your user name to bubbles

Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Happy day! I just bought the UK version of this HU (Blaupunkt Casablanca) at a knock-down price on Ebay. I need to stock up on some Sandisk Cruzer Crossfire USB sticks to have the ultimate matching set!

Can't wait to get my Morrissey albums playing on something decent - that stock head unit really is c**p.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM

I gave up trying to get a great deal on the MP56 and purchased the Blaupunkt London MP48.

Similar features, a current unit, silver face. $129.99 shipped from Crutchfield with more stuff than you need to install it.

And, it has a front aux input. I like it. The difference between the MP56 and the stock base Becker radio is amazing. Plus you get the extra features and capability.

And yes, it truly was Plug 'n Play.

I've posted my install with photos at:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...253#post346253

Good luck, the replacing of the stock head, especially if you have a base coupe is well worth the expenditure... Do the install yourself. If I can, you can too.

Bruce

Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM

FYI There are 3 MP56 radios on ebay starting @ $119.99 or Buy it Now for $169.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-NEW-Blaupu...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM

yeah there are mp56's all over ebay lol

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 AM

thanks for the info just snagged mine for 127.50 free shipping cant wait for it to arrive.at that price for the function and features and being silver that matches i dont think i could have found as a better head unit for the price.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 PM

I posted this in the wrong thread the other day:

I just got mine installed, srt6 with navigation.

I had to cut both wires on plug A pin 2 in order to get the telephone setting to shut off.

i ran my usb cord to the little side pocket/net on the passenger side.

painted my surround silver, got lucky with the color and it matches perfectly.

I did not need an antenna adaptor and the bracket that came with the radio snapped in place like it was made for the car.

I turned on the ignition, turned on the radio and it works perfectly.

How do you get the removal tools out of the stock radio?

Install time was about 3 minutes lol.

I added the "bass blockers" in the door speakers a few minutes ago. now with the better sound of the mp56 and the door speakers I am happy with it now.

I used the crutchfield blockers, they allow a little more bass to get through so it does not sound tinny.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:39 PM

I'm gonna have to be vague here because it's been several weeks since I did it and I have more pressing matters on my mind, but, as I recall, you take a screwdriver or similar tool and press some little metal tabs that grab the removal tools after you push them in and they lock. They're a bit like barbs in that they catch securely and would make a mess if you simply try to muscle them out, but they will come out easily once you press the magic button.

Mine is a limited coupe without nav, and I don't care about the telephone setting so my experience differs from your install a little.

Glad you're enjoying the radio. I'm still not sure if I'm accessing all the songs properly on the USB drive--I did fill up 16 GBs on the USB and another 2 on the sd card. There are words in the documentation about the HU not being able to read that much media in the titles of the folders are over 16 characters, and some of mine were. (And, yes, I did set it to "Mix" "All").

Nonetheless, I'm confident I will figure it out and the system sounds great after I did the caps treatment to the door speakers. I'm tempted to slip out to the garage and play music sometimes, but hate to look that weird to my wife.

Last edited by Serendip; 03-08-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Blaupunkt's St. Louis MP56 is plug 'n play