Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Any new silver faceplate head units available?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any new silver faceplate head units available?

Originally Posted by chambs
i dont know if you got my message or not, yea, this will play your iphone, just not charge it. i know this because i have two ipods, an older nano and a 3rd gen touch, nano plays and charges, touch just plays. The adapter is the CeNET EA1251...can be used for a cd changer, bluetooth, ipod, etc. yes, very easy install, no harness needed, just an antenna adapter
yep got your message, thank you very much for your response! I'm looking now at it now to see what I want to do. thank you again for your info!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed mine today, and it sounds great.

IMG_38574.jpg

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 PM

Yes that dose look very good!!! I'm looking at that unit also. My only issue with that one is the cost. That dose look very good!!! :-)

Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 PM

I think the price is pretty good for this HU. I have the Alpine IVA-W505 in my DD, and it was right at a grand. Of course the IVA-W505 is a double din with DVD, but less than 300 for a HU that works seamlessly with an iPod plus is expandable with Bluetooth, XM, and imprint is very reasonable IMO. I do understand that price is a relative thing though.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Forum Regular

Looks great, have been talking to Crutchfield and they are still talking about by passing the amp and hooking the speakers directly from the heads unit. I have read the posts about connecting this wire to that to go thru the amp, crutchfield install guys are saying this will blow out the amp? they aren't trying to sell me an amp - they don't think they have 1 that will fit? so couple of questions:
  • Did you hook up the Alpine to the amp?
  • if so, did you follow the instructs on the other post?
  • if not, how does it sound vrs the stock system? Have a roadster and concerned about volume with top down.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:21 AM

I bought mine used from a forum member. He already had the harness adapter fitted, so it was pretty much plug and play for me. All I had to do was run the iPod cable to the center console. I had the stock Infinity w/Nav, and the Alpine is much better sounding than the stock unit. It is a night and day difference. I just went for a ride tonight with the top down, and actually liked the sound of the stereo for the first time since I have owned the car.

I may look at the re-wiring options in the future to better take advantage of the subs, but I am pretty happy for now.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:57 PM

>> I have read the posts about connecting this wire to that to go thru the amp, crutchfield install guys are saying this will blow out the amp?

Makes me nervous about trying to get any advice from Crutchfield...

The harness is 2-channel. The amp is 4. {Diagram} After the harness is a simple split.

This means each channel of your head unit is driving 2 inputs on the amp. If you buy an aftermarket head unit, you can use the wiring harness the same way. Harness adapters are available for most brands that mate them to the Crossfire wiring harness.

However if you want to buy a head unit with a built-in crossover and subwoofer output, you would need to bypass the harness to use those features. You would run wires directly from the front and subwoofer pre-amp outs of your head unit to the amplifier. (The amp is under the passenger foot board.)

Crutchfield is wrong insinuating that 2 channels split into 4 is harder on the amp than 4 discrete channels.

The only question is whether the benefit is worth the hassle to you. Splitting 2 channels means the subwoofer and door channels of the amp are getting the full range signal. This causes the door speakers to rumble with deep bass. Some people prefer that to tight bass. If you don't, you can add capacitors to the door (see Biggest stereo bang for the buck mod). Or you can run the separate wires to use a head unit's crossover.

>> Have a roadster and concerned about volume with top down

If you play music very loud with the top down, a head unit with 2V outs might not be the best choice. 4V or more would probably work.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Friends of Ipod trying to connect world:

I forget which person in this thread shared information from Crutchfield that the existing amp would blow-up if another H/U was substituted but the fact is I just heard the same thing! He said it was due to It was due to voltage differences. He also said you can hook your H/U up by running new wires from bypassing the factory amp (which in effect makes the factory amp obsolete but on the positive side new found storage space), to the existing speakers but if you want the sound amplified from an exterior source you have to purchase something that is compatible? I end with a question mark because I bought a H/U, I don't want to fry the system, and I trust that there are ways to get my Ipod to operate with the top down (and up when necessary)! Cheers.

2006 roadster blk-w/cedar/slate, whatever, I just think it is a cool car.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't fry the system. That Crutchfield advice is total BS. I just wired the harness and plugged and played. Took under an hour to do the whole thing, and I've only done this once before with another car.

Ehowarth is right. Although my X100M doesn't make a big difference with bass in the doors, and I don't have the capacitors installed. I wouldn't mind doing this, to get more performance out of the subs behind the seats, but the sound as-is is much, much, MUCH better than the stock Infinity HU. No issue with volume with the top down, either, and I like it loud. I'm pretty picky about audio quality, too, and this solution works for me. I'm sure it could be better, but it could always be better, and I just don't see the need to hack into the amp.

Use an iPod Classic 120gig crammed with music, btw. This Alpine series of HUs are the best for iPod that I've seen.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:36 PM

Before I bought the Xfire I spent 4 years and a lot of effort taking a 1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate Spider (from a barn existence) to sunlight. I found an Alpine with a hard wire connection and with a little careful sanding was able to mount it in the OEM dashboard. The alpine had a hardwire, from the rear, and it was easily operated from the head unit! And it sounded great. Two years later, they all sound similar out of the box. I know if I asked if do you need the factory amp, a lot of people would say, "no, the replacement H/U works fine w/o the amp, and I am sure it would. I can feel it but want to get that yes,yes that it works before the next whoops step. I am not afraid of taking a chance! in 19

Old 03-18-2010, 09:38 PM

and the hard wire went to an Ipod. And it worked great...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSKuper
Before I bought the Xfire I spent 4 years and a lot of effort taking a 1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate Spider (from a barn existence) to sunlight. I found an Alpine with a hard wire connection and with a little careful sanding was able to mount it in the OEM dashboard. The alpine had a hardwire, from the rear, and it was easily operated from the head unit! And it sounded great. Two years later, they all sound similar out of the box. I know if I asked if do you need the factory amp, a lot of people would say, "no, the replacement H/U works fine w/o the amp, and I am sure it would. I can feel it but want to get that yes,yes that it works before the next whoops step. I am not afraid of taking a chance! in 19
Heh, I can understand that. I get a little freaked every time I do anything like this. Even doing the Radio Shack chirp/beep mod I got worried that I was going to blow something up. But plunged in anyways and it works great. I was concerned about doing the HU last year, too, but figured I'd just take my time and learn more about the car in the process. The best way to do anything is to do it yourself. Too many idiots out there today glad to take your money, but do a half-assed job on your plumbing, a fence, your siding...can you tell I've been dealing with home contractors the past few years? ;-)

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
B52

Folks,

I'm a new member and have never commented, but just wanted to add that I changed out my Infinity head unit to a Blaupunkt Melbourne (SD27) a couple of weeks ago and it was a great decision.

I don't miss the Nav system and the Melbourne is able to take 2GB SD cards. The Melbourne does not have a CD player and that is a plus to me because they just take up space, and a single 2GB SD card holds several CD's.

The installation took less than 10 minutes and sounds just great. Only mod required was cutting the A2 wire to disable the telephone mode. It was basically "plug and play". Also, the I paid $89 for the Melbourne online.

Just my 2 cents.

B52

Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 AM

I came across this marine head unit from Sony-CDXM60UI. It retails for less than $200.00
Its aesthetics aren't as nice as the Alpine, but it's a more affordable option.

Sony CDXM60UI Marine CD Receiver with USB Wire for iPod & USB devices in Marine Audio Devices at JR.com

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SONCDXM60UI.jpg (14.3 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by calvinclawson; 03-21-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Forum Regular

would love to replace our unit with a touch screen with nav. Any idea's?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone seen the Clarion M309? I also like the Alpine X100M.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Default What antenna adapter to use?

Hey Chambs, I bought this radio and have not received it yet Where did you get the adapter and which one is needed for this radio? I cant tell by his pics on ebay.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:06 PM

I had someone else do the install, but no harness was needed, im assuming its the same antenna adapter that crutchfield advises to use, ill double check my papers and see if they used one and what the part number was

Old 05-31-2010, 03:34 PM

I spent ages looking and ended on a HU that was all black / touchscreen but would allow me to change the display colours / chose silver - it actually looks great and almost original. It's the JVC AVX55. With the silver one's - I found many of them didn't match despite being silver - like a different shade altogether and would still stand out slightly. What with much of the dash being black, the JVC actually works out well. See pic.

Last edited by LDNrevs; 05-31-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:55 PM

I bought the Clarion like Chambs got from EBay, paid 80.00 shipping included. It is a GREAT upgrade from stock. It really makes the rear subs thump and the front speakers are very clear now with a thumpier bass than before. The face color can be matched to our cars and I can even hook my MP3 and or Sat. Radio to it. I plan on ditching the factory amp and using my Kenwood units later.

Quick Reply: Any new silver faceplate head units available?