Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

what is the best replacement for rear subs??

Old 05-24-2016, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what is the best replacement for rear subs??

JL Audio 6W3v3-4 and DD Audio SW6.5 would be a great substitute.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sander
JL Audio 6W3v3-4 and DD Audio SW6.5 would be a great substitute.
The magnet assemblies are too big-unless you mount them facing forward and crapcan the basket.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:39 PM

sub replacement update -------just did mine one thing I learned that I didnt see in my research ,, if u want to use al oem stuff ? take out oem sub there will b a plastic 1/2 inch spacer on top of sub remove it carefully stuck down use aplpw6d 6 sub woofer place spacer underneath speaker replace stock screws with 1/14 inch self tappers put in waaalaaa no cutting no modifying,,,remember the magnet is whats gona give u problems usually the better the speaker the bigger the magnet,,,this worked for me fyi I did drill out the 3 souround nut holes a little bigger on plastic case just to make it a little easier on my self for fitment

Old 11-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Talking Re: what is the best replacement for rear subs??

sub replacement update -------just did mine one thing I learned that I didnt see in my research ,, if u want to use al oem stuff ? take out oem sub there will b a plastic 1/2 inch spacer on top of sub remove it carefully stuck down use aplpw6d 6 sub woofer place spacer underneath speaker replace stock screws with 1/14 inch self tappers put in waaalaaa no cutting no modifying,,,remember the magnet is whats gona give u problems usually the better the speaker the bigger the magnet,,,this worked for me fyi I did drill out the 3 souround nut holes a little bigger on plastic case just to make it a little easier on my self for fitment ,,,,,,,,,,,,,;]

Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cg80
Thanks again, Max for your help...appreciate it very much...Carl
Can i fit dynaudio 8" in rear sub space. I know will need modifications but is it possible, is there enough room?

Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed the -Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X - No modification - direct fit and they SUCK! barely any bass due to the single voice coil. Also they did require some modding to the factory housing being it was a tad bit to small in the overall diameter. Dremel took care of that though.. Definitely recommend dual coils to take advantage of the stock amp..

Old 06-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Thumbs up Re: what is the best replacement for rear subs??

Originally Posted by Choppy
-Boss BP6.8 - No modification - direct fit
-Lanzar VW64 - No modification - direct fit
-Pyramid WX65X - No modification - direct fit
-MTX Audio RTX658 - No modification - direct fit
-Boss Audio NP6.4 - No modification - direct fit
-Earthquake Sound SWS-6.5X - No modification - direct fit
-Crossfire XS M6 6" XS - No modification - direct fit
-Kicker CVT654 - No modification - direct fit
-Tang Band W6 - modification and cutting required
-Ultra series LV 6 - modification and cutting required
-JL Audio 6W3v3-4 - - modification and cutting required
-DD Audio SW6.5 - modification and cutting required
-RE Audio XXX6.5C - modification and cutting required
-Peerless SLS 6.5 - modification and cutting required
-CDT Audio CL-6MSUB - modification and cutting required
-CDT Audio M6+ - modification and cutting required

Best overall sounding in no particular order & requires modification and cutting.

-DLS Reference RW6
-CDT Audio ES-06
-Focal Utopia Be 5" (13ws)
-JL Audio 6W3v3-4
-JL Audio C5-650cw
-Rainbow Vanadium 7"
Wow, Great List. I had to replace most of my sound system last summer as the factory amp was dead. An old friend of mine owns a shop that does all sorts of add on electronics and he did a great job. His company used to compete and win many of the car show for sound systems so I trust him with all my stuff. He did not replace my subs because the factory ones were very good and as floating subs would be hard to match.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
One has ~ 1.875" of clearance, Clarence. My amp is 2.000" and I placed a pair of spacers under the seat tracks to make room. There are a number of really thin amps available. I would have chosen more wisely if I had known.
What type of spacers am I looking for?? Pics or link? Thank you in advance

Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 PM

Replaced my stock subs with Earthquake SWS6.5x hooked to Alpine Mrp-M500 under passenger seat

MAN!!! What a difference...sounds better than when I had my Alpine amp running a 10" sub in the trunk AND got ALL my trunk space back

Very little modification needed to baskets.(Less than 5 minutes of Dremel work)

Old 12-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can we actually replace these 'subs' with normal speakers without having to modify anything? As long as the bass is good or decent and the audio quality is clear I don't care about subs. I don't mind replacing an amp either but I would prefer to keep the basket or carpet intact. Anybody can help me out with that? My car is rattling like crazy right now it's really bad.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a note on the Kicker 40cwrt672, it has been discontinued by kicker and replaced by 43cwrt672, if you do a google search "40cwrt672 vs 43cwrt672" you'll find a link to see the dynamic difference between the two...in short the 43cwrt672 is an improved version.
i like Max's idea to cut the oval holes to fit these 6.75" and face them forward (firing at the back of the seat). the price is about $100 ea, however i just got a pair (2subs) off ebay for under $150. hope this info helps

Old 05-05-2019, 10:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely the Pyle PLPW6D. I am using the OEM amp with a Kenwood KVT-516 and Infinity Kappa component fronts. Sounds GREAT and is very loud, even a freeway speeds with the top down. Amazon has these now for $9.99. I just ordered two spares in case I need them so, now that I have mine, have at it!

Old 05-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree. Have been using Pyle for over 2 years...great sound and good durability....Carl

Old 05-06-2019, 03:33 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Do these Pyle PLPW6D speakers fit into the OEM Crossfire subwoofer baskets without having to modify the basket??

Old 05-06-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
Do these Pyle PLPW6D speakers fit into the OEM Crossfire subwoofer baskets without having to modify the basket??
NO
I had to cut some of the housing away.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:37 AM

Hey Jobiggs,
It's been a while since your install. Are they still going strong? My subs need replacing since I believe my driver's side sub is beyond the repair kit's capability.
Amazon has the SWS6.5x at $89.99 right now.
Just checking in to see if you're still happy with them.
Thank you!

~ANISSA

Old 07-12-2019, 03:00 PM

I did the rebuild kits on the sub woofers and one fixed and the other didn't, blown coil. I went to my local audio place with the XF parts and he tells me the current sub woofers are Dual Voice Coil, DVC, 2 ohm speakers, and it would be difficult if not impossible to replace. I have reviewed most of the threads on this issue and have googled the recommended speakers that are a "no modifications required" variety. Some speakers are no longer available. I cannot tell if any of the recommended, "this is what I used with no modifications" list, was adherred to in the 2 ohms and DVC my audio guy said I should use. I will not modify the housings with the exception of enlarging a mounting hole. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:18 PM
Administrator
Received 877 Likes on 683 Posts

Stop wasting time and energy (which, it seems, you are done with).

Do the easy thing - take one of the speaker 'cages' out and find a conventional speaker you like that you can fit in there. Then buy two and install them.

THEN, buy a new, modern four channel amp that does not expect dual coils. Install it, and add four more wires from the head unit* to the new amp - and have REAL four channel sound.

*Yes, buy a new head unit as well. You will be amazed at how your car can sound.

It can be as cheap as:
New JVC head: $85
New Amp: $99
New Rear Speakers: $60
Wires and connectores: $20

or as much as $2500, depends on how NUTS you are.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:07 PM

OR, you can review posts 113 to 115, order PLPW6D subwoofers from Amazon and have them delivered for free within 18 hours (in Canada). These are 4 ohm (will work) and dual voice coil to be compatible with all other OEM equipment. I spent about 4 hours carefully modifying the plastic mount baskets for the speakers with my dremel Had to take about 1/8th off around the ring and remove some of the back to accommodate the larger magnet, still a glove fit.. Great Sound, Great fix, about $60. Pink Floyd hasn't sounded this good since we got the car! Not NUTS enough to do anything else.

Old 07-06-2020, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jobiggs
Replaced my stock subs with Earthquake SWS6.5x hooked to Alpine Mrp-M500 under passenger seat

MAN!!! What a difference...sounds better than when I had my Alpine amp running a 10" sub in the trunk AND got ALL my trunk space back

Very little modification needed to baskets.(Less than 5 minutes of Dremel work)

I'm looking to replace the 2 subs behind the seats. If I choose these will I have to upgrade the amp as well? Thanks in advance, I know this is an old post.

Quick Reply: what is the best replacement for rear subs??