CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Audio, Video and Electronics (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/audio-video-electronics/)
-   -   how do i remove stock stereo? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/audio-video-electronics/6879-how-do-i-remove-stock-stereo.html)

fastdb 12-22-2004 12:48 AM

how do i remove stock stereo?

has anyone replaced their stock stereo on there own? i cant seem to figure out how to get it out. i tried sliding stereo keys in the slots at the bottom corners but it didn't budge.

aschrager 12-22-2004 08:18 AM

Re: how do i remove stock stereo?

You can go to www.beckerautosound.com and buy the correct MB removal tools. Becker is the company that makes the stock radio.

CyberGreg 12-22-2004 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by fastdb
has anyone replaced their stock stereo on there own? i cant seem to figure out how to get it out. i tried sliding stereo keys in the slots at the bottom corners but it didn't budge.

Check out Crutchfield.com (click here) for their OEM DIN removal tools.

You'll need a wiring harness and an antenna adapter.
From my Crutchfield order:
P/N 120869001 Universal OEM DIN Tool Pair
P/N 12040EU10 Euro antenna adapter
P/N 120701784 VW Wire harness (switch the red and yellow wires when connecting the VW harness to the new head unit harness)

Once you slide the tool in the right way, you'll hear the locking tabs release and the radio will slide out (with some help).

NJspeed69 12-22-2004 02:15 PM

I haven't removed the Crossfires, but I've gotten numerous radios out of other cars without having the keys. I usually just unscrew the entire bracket thats holding in the stereo, sometimes you need to take apart a little more of the dash than you expected in order to get at all the screws.. Then slide that entire bracket out (its probably also holding the heat/AC controls and the buttons below the stereo) and its easier to get the radio out. Once you get the entire bracket out, you can see the tab to push with a screwdriver (exactly what the key does) to release the stereo, or you can get at a screw that will release it, etc etc. Each car is different but try and get the whole bracket peice out. Like I said, I don't know if this works on the Crossfire, but I've done a ton of installs and rarely have had the correct key.

CyberGreg 12-22-2004 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJspeed69
I haven't removed the Crossfires, but...

I have... ;)

... I usually just unscrew the entire bracket thats holding in the stereo, ...

The entire dash holds the radio, there is no bracket to unscrew.

Like I said, I don't know if this works on the Crossfire, ...

Other people have removed the head unit using tools other than the DIN removal tools. Still some others just drove down to their local Chrysler dealer and had a tech pop it out far enough to be removed.

Good luck, with the right tools no job is too hard.
:cool:

aschrager 12-22-2004 09:31 PM

you can order the tool from becker for about $5.00

crosses 01-18-2005 01:35 PM

Just use a screwdriver ;)

BoilerUpXFire 03-05-2009 09:31 AM

I simply went to Becker's website and sent them an email asking to buy a pair of the OEM removal tools, they sent them to me for free :-)

spotsbimmer 03-05-2009 09:42 AM

Or if you don't want to wait, you can make your own with a pair of scissors and an old credit card, that's what I did. Just google the removal tool, you'll get the idea!

Jesda 03-06-2009 10:45 PM

So this Infinity is a Becker radio? Interesting.

cudooza 03-07-2009 01:57 AM

Yes, and the Chrysler Crossfire is made by Mercedes, nothing is what is says it is. hmmm

ppro 03-07-2009 03:11 AM

I'm partial to a 7lb maul and a crow-bar myself... NOT!

Most Wal*Marts have the tool for about $4. Instant Gratification. Note the designation of orientation for insertion into the unit. These also double as great Ninja finger swords.

http://4x4icon.com/crossfire/auction...hotos/9241.jpg

ppro 03-07-2009 03:13 AM

I haven't removed the Crossfires, but I've gotten numerous radios out of other cars without having the keys.

Does the car alarm go off? Hard to see in the dark? ;)

Jesda 04-03-2009 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by cudooza
Yes, and the Chrysler Crossfire is made by Mercedes, nothing is what is says it is. hmmm

That's insane. Next you're going to tell me Mountain Dew is made by Pepsi. *head explodes*