Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Audio issue with OEM radio. "no sound"

Old 03-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Audio issue with OEM radio. "no sound"

Have 2006 Crossfire. The original radio sometimes worked and had sound when I started the car. Then it would sometimes not work, no radio and no sound. So, I purchased another OEM radio from a member. I installed it , radio lights up all stations work, push buttons change stations, can put in CD and eject, BUT I DO NOT HAVE ANY AUDIO AT ALL.
I would appreciate any suggestions.
The speakers did work when the radio did work.
Update. Today my GF started the car and the radio started working. When she stopped the car and got back in NO RADIO. Maybe a back connection to the amp or a bad amp. I am out of town now, will check it out later.
I appreciate all input.

Last edited by Dcwhite67; 03-27-2016 at 04:52 PM. Reason: More information
Old 03-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Audio issue with OEM radio. " no sound "

Just a guess Look under the passenger floor carpet. The amp is located there. Check for any signs of water damage and check all electric connections are tight. Beyond that there are other elec tech guys here that can help with troubleshooting. I'm sure there is a troubleshooting guide in the service manual. Have you checked the fuses in the under hood box driver side?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

What he said above, I can add that there is a fuse on the back of the actual radio but what it is for I haven't got a clue, maybe someone will tell us.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by zip439
Just a guess Look under the passenger floor carpet. The amp is located there. Check for any signs of water damage and check all electric connections are tight. Beyond that there are other elec tech guys here that can help with troubleshooting. I'm sure there is a troubleshooting guide in the service manual. Have you checked the fuses in the under hood box driver side?
I did not know about the amp. I have not checked the fuses either. I am out of town now, but will comment after I check the above.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate all help.

Old 03-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

You will see a white painted steel frame held in place with 10mm nuts.
Remove the nuts and fold back into the footwell, there is an amplifier board and if you have an automatic, the TCM module.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by ala_xfire
You will see a white painted steel frame held in place with 10mm nuts.
Remove the nuts and fold back into the footwell, there is an amplifier board and if you have an automatic, the TCM module.
Thanks for the info. I am out of town at the present. I will check it out soon.
My GF just told me that when she got in the car today, the radio CAME ON. When she killed the car and restarted NO RADIO. Maybe a connection loose or bad amp.
Thanks again.

O K, today I check fuses # 8 and # 23 both good. I located the amp # A1938200489 and all wiring looks good, plugs tight and did not show any water damage anywhere. I am curious about the radio, I turn it on and CHRYSLER come up, then I push FM 1 and select a station, then in a set of numbers like 389-14 or 564-90 then radio station like FM 99.1 comes on screen they just keep repeating over and over. Still no sound : (
Please remember every now and then when I start my car the radio plays FINE. Then when I turn it off and back on NO RADIO. Very Weird. Again , I appreciate any in put. THANKS.

Last edited by Dcwhite67; 04-03-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my SRT-6, I bought it new in 2007 and have babied it since, just over 22000 miles. Now back to the topic, If you want the most beautiful exhaust sound ever go Maserati GT Sport with the Ferrari V8 engine . When I put mine in sport and go through the gears it's sheer symphonic pleasure, and the downshift sounds are fabulous.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ubergefriter
I love my SRT-6, I bought it new in 2007 and have babied it since, just over 22000 miles. Now back to the topic, If you want the most beautiful exhaust sound ever go Maserati GT Sport with the Ferrari V8 engine . When I put mine in sport and go through the gears it's sheer symphonic pleasure, and the downshift sounds are fabulous.
Back to the topic? You are in the wrong thread and wrong forum, you want the Maserati forum.

Old 05-20-2019, 01:04 AM
Received 140 Likes on 109 Posts

It might be easier to just replace the head unit and amp with an after market set up

Old 06-05-2019, 09:42 AM
Default Re: Audio issue with OEM radio. "no sound"

Hi everyone,
I seem to be experiencing the same radio issue. I own a very nice 2004 Crossfire coupe with 35K miles. Every once in a while (not very often) after I start the car and turn on the radio the radio comes on with CHRYSLER on the display but there is no sound. I can turn the radio off and on and all I get is CHRYSLER on the display and no sound. If I turn off the radio and then turn off the engine and then re-start the engine and turn the radio on it will work. This seems like a software or firmware issue since multiple vehicles seem to have the same issue. I suggest that anyone who is having the same issue just turn off the radio, turn off the engine, re-start the engine, and then turn on the radio. This corrects my no sound issue. Hope it works for you.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 PM

i would bet real money you have a wiring harness issue and it is loosing ground.....im having the same issue plus AC issues all out of the same harness

Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbirdtony
Hi everyone,
I seem to be experiencing the same radio issue. I own a very nice 2004 Crossfire coupe with 35K miles. Every once in a while (not very often) after I start the car and turn on the radio the radio comes on with CHRYSLER on the display but there is no sound. I can turn the radio off and on and all I get is CHRYSLER on the display and no sound. If I turn off the radio and then turn off the engine and then re-start the engine and turn the radio on it will work. This seems like a software or firmware issue since multiple vehicles seem to have the same issue. I suggest that anyone who is having the same issue just turn off the radio, turn off the engine, re-start the engine, and then turn on the radio. This corrects my no sound issue. Hope it works for you.
This was a common complaint a few years ago, the issue is in the head itself, - Best Buy has your answer - a new Kenwood or JVC head.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
This was a common complaint a few years ago, the issue is in the head itself, - Best Buy has your answer - a new Kenwood or JVC head.
Early 2004 cars had this problem, the display was hard to read as well, they were replaced under warranty.
I had a 2004 car and never saw the word Chrysler on the display.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Dcwhite67, how is your Crossfire running today?

I just bought my 2004 Crossfire Coupe about three weeks ago and one thing I didn't like was the OEM radio the previous owner had installed on it. I want my Crossfire to be as original as possible and the new radio just looks completely out of place.

That being said, I like listening to my home-made music CDs when I drive and that's where my question comes from.

Windows Media Player (Win 7) allows me to load as many as 120 (+/-) high quality (320BPS) MP3 songs on a single CD and I don't know whether the original radio/CD player can play that type of CDs I make because if it doesn't,then I will be forced to live with that OEM radio.

Can you answer my question (about the CD player's abilities)? I'd be very much in your debt if you can!

Old 09-17-2019, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by josefran

I just bought my 2004 Crossfire Coupe about three weeks ago and one thing I didn't like was the OEM radio the previous owner had installed on it. I want my Crossfire to be as original as possible and the new radio just looks completely out of place.

That being said, I like listening to my home-made music CDs when I drive and that's where my question comes from.

Windows Media Player (Win 7) allows me to load as many as 120 (+/-) high quality (320BPS) MP3 songs on a single CD and I don't know whether the original radio/CD player can play that type of CDs I make because if it doesn't,then I will be forced to live with that OEM radio.

Can you answer my question (about the CD player's abilities)? I'd be very much in your debt if you can!
The OEM radio is the one installed at the Karmann factory the car was manufactured in. Other radio makes may have been installed by the dealer or one of the previous owners. So if your radio is not an Infinity radio then it is not an OEM radio. There were two options for the OEM radios, one with and one without the navigation feature. In some cases the radio with navigation was put in the car by the dealer and the non Nav unit taken out.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The OEM radio is the one installed at the Karmann factory the car was manufactured in. Other radio makes may have been installed by the dealer or one of the previous owners. So if your radio is not an Infinity radio then it is not an OEM radio. There were two options for the OEM radios, one with and one without the navigation feature. In some cases the radio with navigation was put in the car by the dealer and the non Nav unit taken out.
You are doing good Dave, I still cant figure out what the exact question is.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by josefran

I'm confused also as to your use of the acronym "OEM". However I just went to my car and inserted a CD which I made long ago on a Windows computer as a MP3. It would not play on my original factory installed head unit. Store bought CD's play fine. Hope that helps.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 PM

Hello again pizzguy, thank you for your quick response. The radio presently on my Crossfire IS an OEM radio: Pioneer DEH-X6800BS. It sounds good but it's powering only two of the six speakers in the car, Sound only comes out of the mid-range speakers and I cannot hear anything out of the tweeters or sub-woofers. To make matters worse, I went to e-Bay and thought I'd found an Infinity radio from a 2004 Crossfire but what came to me today is not what my Crossfire Owner's Manual says I should have because it appears this radio is the one that has the NAVigation option, The top button row should read TP AUD OPT (blank) CD FM AM and the one I've got today says C/C AUD OPT (blank) CD RAD NAV, And that is only part of the disappointment: NO CONNECTING WIRES were included! Now, I've been told the radio itself (HEAD) is not what powers the speakers and there is an AMPLIFIER under the passenger seat that actually pumps up the sound to all six speakers... Where am I going to find the connecting wire harness that will connect the HEAD to the AMPLIFIER??? After my fiasco with the radio today, I'm afraid to trust eBay again! Do you know of a reliable place I could buy the correct stuff from?

Old 09-18-2019, 10:36 PM

Hi Pizzaguy, I just realized I may be mistaken about a definition I used on my last: OEM. I understood that to be Other Equipment Manufacturer. The radio I got today IS an Infinity radio. It actually has a sticker that reads Harman/Becker Automotive Systems - Original Replacement Part _ Becker of North America.
My apologies over my misconception.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:54 PM
Administrator

OEM: Original Equipment Manufacturer

The OEM sound system in our cars is a JOKE. I fought it as long as I could and finally went JVC in 2015.
I wouldnt put an OEM head or amp in ANY Crossfire. And to hell with the dual voice coil rear speakers and two channel sound as well.

Quick Reply: Audio issue with OEM radio. "no sound"