Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Jenson VX 7012 - Antenna for Sirius / Navigation

Old 11-13-2018, 11:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jenson VX 7012 - Antenna for Sirius / Navigation

I have a 2006 Limited. My other car which went to my daughter (a modest 2012 Chev Cruz) had this terrific satellite radio / navigation set up that I came to love.
The crossfire unit that I have doesn't have Navigation, but does have the 240 watt or so amp.

Missing Sirius soooo much, and disliking plugging my tom-tom into the cigarette lighter I ordered the Jenson VX 7012 from Crutchfield.
It arrived.. About 5 months ago.

It fits in the single 7" "DIN" slot of the original equipment Clarion. But it has a screen that slides out and pops up so that you get this 5inch by 7 inch or so Navigation screen. The screen is also used for Sirius radio, regular radio and... with the back up camera that ordered that works with it.

So I got it and took it out of the box. To my total dismay, it comes with this cheesy Satelite radio antenna that is ... get this .... magnetic!??? They tell you to string the wire out the window and put the thing on your roof above the passenger window while you are cruising along . Or .... if I am really clever .... then string the wire out through the trim on the hatch window and have the magnet hold it there Yeah right.

I called crutchfield. And I texted. And I help-desked 'em. They told me "That is how it works - put the antenna on dash maybe, but works best out the window" and they each time sent me the same link to how to install the rest of the stereo. But never did they give more antenna info. Finally, after begging them with every way I knew, to offer me an alternative to this crappy antenna, I got what I assumed to be their final word on the subject from higher-higher at crutch field. Basically, they more or less told me to go pound salt cuz they can't offer me a decent permanent mount satelite antenna. So, I quit asking. They got nothing and told me they would not try to help anymore.

Now that I have invested 5 or $600 in this set up I am on the prowl for an antenna that won't mess up the lines of this car. I am willing to mount something on the rear bumper, which has a NEARLY 360 degree view of the sky. MAYBE some kind of roof mount, but I do not think that is necessary since the bumper has clear view of the sky.

I read that I can put the navigation antenna right there where some crossfire original equipment navigation antennas go, up there above radio and below dash. And I can use the original equipment AM/FM antenna. And I can hook up the camera. And I can hook up all the sound and the amp. But I can't hook up the Sirius radio except with the cheesy antenna.

I called Sirius. They do not sell permanent mount antennas. They only sell the same cheesy things - probably the VERY same things - you get from Crutchfield. So, talking to them was like talking to crutchfield, .... hard labor like mixing cement.

So... I am now looking to this forum for a solution. I do not know jack-bananas about gain, range, frequency or any other antenna specs or jargon. That stuff is harder than chinese algebra to me. I CAN however, get wires routed through the car and hook up stuff other people (smart ones! haha) have invented for me.

I am very anxious to install this super duper do-it-all system, - and post to the forum as I go along - but I will be a monkey's uncle (hmm... what would that take exactly?) before I dangle this cheesy 2nd rate solution for reception out the window or break the seal on the glued in back window. Nor would I (or any of you, right?) want to put a shark fin or any other antenna up on the roof, spoiling the 'line' on the hood. I THINK an unobtrusive place can be found on the back bumper, or at least I hope so.

QUESTION TO FORUM: What antenna will unequivocally work with Sirius radio AND be mountable on (my idea - open to other suggestions) the back bumper or, at least, be more or less inconspicuous?

Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Re: Jenson VX 7012 - Antenna for Sirius / Navigation

Two of my Crossfires have Sirius radio tuners. Routed the antenna wire thru the fire wall and what you call the “cheesy” antenna is centered on top of the hood at the very back just in front of the windshield. Good line to the sky and no exposed wires.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:55 PM

Why did I not ask on this forum SOONER?!!!
And .... Why didn't I think of that?

And .... that sounds sooooo much easier than stringing wire through body and out by the bumper.

And it is more or less inconspicuous, right?

So, got any ideas about how I can hook up the backup camera without the lens being mounted in such a way that it is facing rearward with a wide view? That would save running that wire to the license plate / camera mount. haha

Do you remember where you chose to put the wires thru the firewall? Or more specifically, got a suggestion about where might be best?

Thanks a million. I am def looking to implement your solution. It seems the best.

Do you have navigation too? If yes did you mount/put the nav antenna there where the OE navigation antenna is?

Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 PM
JSK
Received 102 Likes on 85 Posts

I don’t have nav I use the phone. I’m traveling right now so I can’t go look but I think I followed an existing harness behind the battery.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Received 534 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by crossfireforum1951
Why did I not ask on this forum SOONER?!!!
And .... Why didn't I think of that?

And .... that sounds sooooo much easier than stringing wire through body and out by the bumper.

And it is more or less inconspicuous, right?

So, got any ideas about how I can hook up the backup camera without the lens being mounted in such a way that it is facing rearward with a wide view? That would save running that wire to the license plate / camera mount. haha

Do you remember where you chose to put the wires thru the firewall? Or more specifically, got a suggestion about where might be best?

Thanks a million. I am def looking to implement your solution. It seems the best.

Do you have navigation too? If yes did you mount/put the nav antenna there where the OE navigation antenna is?
I mounted my back up camera on the underside of the hatch just above the license plate. It means running the wires through the corrugated hose at the top of the hatch.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Installed a Power Acoustik PDN-726HB - Single DIN DVD/CD/AM/FM/MP3/MP4 Receiver with Motorized 7" Touchscreen Display Built-In Bluetooth and GPS Navigation Everything works great as advertised. Doesn't have Sirius, but I never use that in our other vehicles that are capable.
Besides, with a 64GB SD chip containing buttloads of selectable music along with selectable RDBS AM/FM stations, who needs to pay satellite fees?
I haven't played any DVDs, but I could if I really wanted to sit parked, watching a 7 inch screen - I don't think so, but but but I could if I wanted to.
Cheers,

Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2006 Limited. My other car which went to my daughter (a modest 2012 Chev Cruz) had this terrific satellite radio / navigation set up that I came to love.

QUESTION TO FORUM: What antenna will unequivocally work with Sirius radio AND be mountable on (my idea - open to other suggestions) the back bumper or, at least, be more or less inconspicuous?
I have the small "puck" Sirius antenna that came with my Alpine satellite radio add-on. I mounted it in my roadster with double sided tape in the black area of the windshield above the rear view mirror. I tucked the cable behind the windshield trim around the passenger side and underneath the dash using a trim tool. The cable is 100% hidden, and the only obstruction between the antenna and sky is the windshield glass. It has worked perfectly since I installed it 5 years ago.

My car is in winter storage, but I'll see if I can get over to it and take a picture of my set up this weekend. Hopefully the description is enough of a help to you, though.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:22 PM

Thx all. With help like this it seems more and more doabe, making me feel like I did not bite off more than I can chew.

I ordered the Esky Wireless Color Video Transmitter. How much easier can it get. I was gonna hardwire thru hose at top of hatch but this wireless thing seems a good idea that is worth a try.

RE why pay satellite fees: Even though I got the beer expense account and champagne taste..I love sirius radio choices. Can't beat it on a long trip imho.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Thx all. With help like this it seems more and more doabe, making me feel like I did not bite off more than I can chew.

I ordered the Esky Wireless Color Video Transmitter. How much easier can it get. I was gonna hardwire thru hose at top of hatch but this wireless thing seems a good idea that is worth a try.

RE why pay satellite fees: Even though I got the beer expense account and champagne taste..I love sirius radio choices. Can't beat it on a long trip imho.
You still need to power the camera.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80

You still need to power the camera.
The Transmitter needs to be tapped into one of the reverse lamps; it then also provides a 12V power output for the camera.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chooch
The Transmitter needs to be tapped into one of the reverse lamps; it then also provides a 12V power output for the camera.
I realize that but when you mentioned using the hose I thought you were going to mount the camera on the hatch, so you would still need power to the camera.
l have a backup camera that uses a transmitter, but used a wired one instead.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM

To all who have responded to my predicament about antenna and backup camera:
Chooch: Only because you suggested it to me does it become obvious that yeah... using the back up camera only when in reverse is the intelligent thing to do, therefore powering the transmitter from the backup light circuit does seem like the most logical way to do this.
I am still not sure where I am going to mount the camera. Upper side of the license plate or lower side? I never considered the hatch, I do not know what the heck I was thinking about running wire through the hose on the hatch .... to get to the top or bottom license plate screws? Sheesh. I didn't read 180's post well enough... reading comprehension is everything hunh?

As far as the navigation antenna goes.... it does seem like I should simply put it where the original equipment Nav antenna goes. It seems weird to me that I can bury the thing in the bowels of the dashboard and still.... it will work. How can that be? I'm still gonna do it though.

As for the Satellite radio: I WAS gonna go like JSK suggested "centered on top of the hood at the very back just in front of the windshield.". But... Bargegeek has had his on the interior for 5 years working fine. This makes me realize that I am simply creating problems that maybe never existed. I like the idea of mounting it like Bargegeek said: "with double sided tape in the black area of the windshield above the rear view mirror."

When I get to this I will definitely take a few pics. I will get back to you about how it goes. The soldering, the locating of reverse wires and backup light wires, the final decisions about mounting locations.

Last edited by crossfireforum1951; 11-14-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: paragraphs out of order
Old 11-15-2018, 04:16 PM

Camera Mount: Do you have a hole behind your license plate? Some Crossfires do and some do not.
I ran my camera cable through that hole.
  • Pulled up the rubber hatch opening gasket
  • Fished the cable out, up between the steel and plastic body parts
  • Attached the transmitter to the camera cable and fed it down between the steel body and the inside plastic grill
  • Fed the cable over the lip
  • Pressed the gasket back over the cable (it didn't damage it)
  • Popped open the right tail light access cover
  • Reached into the access hole and fished out the transmitter power cable (used a bent coat hanger with a hook)
  • The transmitter remained out of sight as the camera cable was only about 1 foot long
  • Tapped the Reverse Light wire to power the transmitter red wire and grounded the black wire to a light bracket stud
  • Put the cover back in place and "Bob's your uncle" (as my Aussie bride would say).
Wish I had taken photos of the process, but...
Don't forget to tap the Green/Yellow Reverse Signal shown on Frame 16 of the NAV install link and connect it to the Radio's Green/White wire (Page 3 of your VX 7012 Installation Manual).
If you do not make this connection, you will get a "No Signal" screen (See Page 67 of your VX 7012 Operation Manual).
The other option would be to run a power cable from your taillight through the cabin to the radio, defeating the purpose of using the video transmitter/receiver.

Satellite Antenna Location: The object is to keep from having metal block the satellite RF signals.By placing the antenna under the dash, behind the A/C duct, There is only plastic and glass between the antenna and the satellite, easily penetrated by RF signals.

Have fun! It's a bit of a pain, but worth it!
Cheers,

Last edited by Chooch; 11-15-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Color Correction