Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

Company to offer Tesla style aftermarket head unit! Please read

Old 01-17-2019, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Company to offer Tesla style aftermarket head unit! Please read

Hey everyone!
I purchased a 05 crossfire a number of years ago and have always been frustrated that no company offered aftermarket dual din trim pieces for our vehicles. It has always been that if you wanted a dual din configuration you had to do extensive modification but all that may be a thing of the past! I recently viewed a website, Phoenix android audio, that offers Tesla-style headunits that control the radio as well as ac and other features. I contacted them and suggested they make a custom unit for us crossfire owners and they actually agreed! This headunit could control all programs and finally replace our outdated configurations for a decent price. The only stipulation is that we have to get around 200 people to agree to buy one so the work is worth their effort. Please, please, if this interests you post it here so they can see how big the crossfire fanbase is. Thanks guys!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Company to offer Tesla style aftermarket head unit! Please read

Looks good to me, At what cost?
Thanks, Ken

Old 01-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

out
Originally Posted by Southernscrew
Looks good to me, At what cost?
Thanks, Ken
I went to their website, and their current offerings range anywhere from about $400-900, depending on the car model involved. Unless I missed something on their site, their "universal" unit won't work in our cars without a stack modification as the internal unit is 100mm tall i.e. double DIN.

I'd sure be interested, though, if they could actually make one for under $600 for us.

Last edited by Bargegeek; 01-17-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: left OUT out
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM

Yeah my guess would be somewhere between $400-600 as well. The universal def wouldn't work with our vehicles but I imagine they could come up with a unit that would incorporate the climate control module as well as the bottom switches for the spoiler, traction control that would be a plug and play with the pigtails for those modules. Even if it had to be modified a bit I'd still be on board because a Tesla style head unit would look great in our cars. I appreciate you guys showing interest and if you can spread the word. I'm letting everyone I know that has a crossfire know so we can make this become a reality.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Received 879 Likes on 685 Posts

Minimum order 200? That sounds reasonable - BUT - You are not going to get that many people to sign onto this just by posting here on the forum.

Try posting this on a few of the "Crossfire Owners" Facebook pages and you might have a chance.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:05 AM

That's actually a great idea! I didnt even realize there was a crossfire owners Facebook page and this is the second crossfire I've owned lol. I will find it and post it on there as well because I believe we can get the 200 people if we spread the word. Thanks again!

Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I can't see this happening for less than $1000. There is a lot involved here to make this. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:18 AM

It may be a little pricey but it would still be cheaper than the modifications necessary to install a double din unit from scratch. Judging from the looks of what they offer some units they sell look better than others. We could request either a high end or low end build but I'd rather spend a little more and get a good quality unit. Either way it would breathe new life into these awesome little cars. I took pizza guy's advice and sent the admins on Facebook a request to join so I could spread the word. I also sent the company a link to this thread so they could see the interest it generates. I appreciate the words of encouragement and will keep you all posted with the progress I make!

Old 02-03-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

To be honest, I highly doubt this will work for the Crossfire. Parts of the A/C control work mechanically (they would need a motor to make this software-controllable) and also the seat heating control unit is integrated into the button bar. I'm not sure they're aware of that... In newer cars, all they need to do is to issue some CAN signals from the head unit to simulate the button presses, but for the Crossfire it's a bit different.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Received 535 Likes on 452 Posts

Dreaming. You have to get 200 people to come up with the cash and no doubt it would be up front, no way.
The price you are talking about would barely get you a good head unit, minimum $600 for a decent Nav unit.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 AM
Forum Regular
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Any progress on this? I'd like to be positive about this but there are so many factors that would have to go into this regarding our cars. Everything thats already been mentioned prior on this thread. Throw in that its Android, I personally use only Apple products IE Carplay and I'm sure there are others as well. There are a lot of units now that use Carplay and Android Auto. Just something else to think about. Hope it works out, but haven't seen anything posted since Feb. Just my thoughts