Audio, Video and Electronics Have audio, video or electronics questions? Post them in here.

How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo

Old 06-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Aluminum cones?

Huh????
Yup... The speakers are decent. The lack of a proper crossover for the mid/tweet is what hinders the fronts.

http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/...frontdoor1.jpg

Old 06-13-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peter_k
Yup... The speakers are decent. The lack of a proper crossover for the mid/tweet is what hinders the fronts.

http://images.crutchfieldonline.com/...frontdoor1.jpg
Interesting. I've replaced the subs on 3 different Crossfires over 10 years.

They all had poly cones and foam surrounds.

You say yours has aluminum cones and (apparently) fit in the OEM mounting baskets.

Pictures?

I've never heard such a thing....

Ah...I see you switched topics in your long post.

Doesn't matter. The door "Infinity" speakers are poly cone also. I've replaced those in 6 Crossfires, and I still have one of those POS's in my garage. I checked-not aluminum.

Last edited by maxcichon; 06-13-2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:34 AM
Forum Regular
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The tweeters are alluminium, subs are not, mids who knows ?

Last edited by daveesrt6; 06-13-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:37 PM

wow, confusing. best to just explain what stereo I'm putting in. Boss BV9973 using the above VW01B adapter. My confusion deals with Mattpolantz's permalink #1 explaining aftermarket install.

1st, just to confirm the red and yellow wires are flipped? Or is that just for the specific aftermarket unit mentioned in write up or for all aftermarket units?

2nd, the blue/white wire from after market unit? the boss unit is just a blue wire labeled "Antenna Power+, is this the one i connect to harness blue wire? Neither has a blue/white wire.

3rd, do i wire up (connect) the rear speaker wires form the Boss wire harness? I understand the xfire system is a two front speakers system and two rear subwoofers all powered through the amp via the two front speaker wires??
thanks again

Great writeup, just want to confirm.

Last edited by Richpcb; 08-12-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Head Unit Has No Remote Wire

Old 08-12-2016, 05:42 PM

everything worked out as explained post #1.
Thee infinity stereo model # is "be 6806" and you can find it at Harman Becker be 6806.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:59 PM

i bought the harness that was listed but it's not working. I have power to my radio but I don't have any audio from the speakers

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

My 2006 Crossfire Limited Roadster came with after-market Kenwood Headunit. It has recently bit the big one. I purchased a no-nonsense head unit (Boss BV7260B) that only has speaker outputs (no preamps, no RCA jacks).
The subs were not working on the Kenwood, and I believe it was because whoever hooked it up didn't know about the stock amp.
I just want to hook up the new HU and get the front and rear speakers working. Do I still need to splice and dice the amp hookups to get the rear subs working?
Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 PM

Well, basically, you don't need to splice into any wiring at all to get an aftermarket stereo to play sound through both the front speakers and the rear subs. All you need is the correct wiring harness adapter.

It's been years since I messed with mine, but I recall the situation is this:

If you use one type of harness, it effectively bypasses the factory amp completely so your radio powers the subs and front speakers directly. It will use your front channel to do this, though - so your front/rear fader control on the radio won't function. I had my Clarion head-unit installed that way and everything worked just fine. (The Clarion head-unit probably output about as much power as the small factory Chrysler amp anyway.) The biggest thing that helps improve the sound quality if you do this, though, is wiring capacitors in-line with your front speakers to act as "bass blockers", so the low frequencies only go to the rear.

Originally Posted by jrhack
My 2006 Crossfire Limited Roadster came with after-market Kenwood Headunit. It has recently bit the big one. I purchased a no-nonsense head unit (Boss BV7260B) that only has speaker outputs (no preamps, no RCA jacks).
The subs were not working on the Kenwood, and I believe it was because whoever hooked it up didn't know about the stock amp.
I just want to hook up the new HU and get the front and rear speakers working. Do I still need to splice and dice the amp hookups to get the rear subs working?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:32 PM

I appreciate the the response, but I do want to control with the Fader. I like the idea of adding the capacitors on the front speakers to limit the bass.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:26 PM

Okay, Now I see it. I am looking at the Factory HU Wiring Harness and understand now. They only have two speakers being sent to the Amp. I am looking at the wiring diagrams that are available on this post and understand what has to occur to be able to have fader control. I have to access the amp and cut the split that occurs sending both left and right speaker inputs to both the front and real speaker inputs on amp. I will need to leave the one set going to Front Left and Right, and then wire in new leads for Rear Subs coming back to the new HU. What a way to run a railroad!
Now I need to figure how to pull the AMP from behind carpet. There are 3 hold-downs that secure to firewall. Not sure how to undo them.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:27 PM

I have determined that the Amp Hold Downs are Plastic Nuts that unscrew. Wish me luck!

Old 07-13-2017, 06:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts

It is really not an issue, just undo the 10 mm plastic nuts and pull it out from the bottom. Both amp and TCS are easily accessible.

The following users liked this post:
nickwe21 (06-26-2022)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 PM

Okay, I pulled the Amp and found the speaker inputs. What I did was cut the wires going to pins 10 and 9 and spliced in my HU Right Rear Speaker output. I cut the wires going to 8 and 3 and spliced in my HU Left Rear output. It was a little rough running the new wires up to the HU from the Amp but I was able to pull the lower AC vent (in passenger footwell), and the screw behind it and fed the wires up to where I could grab them through the HU mount. I strung the wires behind that panel to the rear where I fed them in with the other harnesses dropping into the Amp area.
The only problem I have now is either my subs are blown or my HU doesn't have enough juice to power them. The front speakers rock really loud. The rears, when I fade to them only, just rumbles really really low at high volume. I'll have to pull them on the weekend and see.
Thanks for the info that is on this Forum. It is the best resource for all things Crossfire!

Old 07-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2006 Crossfire Limited Roadster came with after-market Kenwood Headunit. It has recently bit the big one.
What happened to the kenwood. Reason for replacement ?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:45 PM

It slowly stopped working. First one button, then another. Then the Volume/Select stopped working. Tried soft and hard resets. I think the Florida Heat got to it.

Last edited by jrhack; 07-15-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It slowly stopped working. First one button, then another. Then the Volume/Select stopped working. Tried soft and hard resets. I think the Florida Heat go to it.
I had a clarion in my truck that did that, used the remote for awhile, till I lost the remote.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 PM

Pulled the grill from the back Sub on the drivers side and the foam around the cone is gone (nothing but an air gap). I will try to replace one and see if I can get better sound out of it.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:19 AM

Pulled the grill from the back Sub on the drivers side and the foam around the cone is gone (nothing but an air gap). I will try to replace one and see if I can get better sound out of it.

FYI, I replaced the foam rings on my woofers with rubber rings, and the sound is great. I figured that rubber would stand up to the Florida heat much better than foam. The rubber has been in there foe a few years with no issues.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:16 AM

Hmm rubber surrounds instead of the foam. Where did you come by those? I had the same idea. I recently repaired the passenger side sub with a kit from simply speakers (works like new now). I was tempted to spray the foam with a light coat of flex seal (the rubber spray advertised on tv), but ultimately chose not to.

Quick Reply: How-To: Install an Aftermarket Stereo