Canada Serving Canada.

E test fiasco

Old 03-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default E test fiasco

I had my 300 fixed ten days ago because the wheel speed sensor in the rear failed. With an E test due by today I assumed that a weeks worth of driving should sort out the computer issues. No way Jose, failed the test this am, not sufficient miles at varying speeds, stop and go BS.
Now I have to waste fuel to pass a pollution test, that seems logical ......NOT.

Where does someone living a rural area get the stop and go and highway conditions like in and around a city. We have one set of traffic lights in town at a Tee junction for chrissakes. Blink and your in and out of town.

I had to get a temporary tag that lasts for ten days. I'll have to do the same on the Crossfire as I disconnected the battery to do the Sticky Iggy fix. More BS.

Who dreams up these stupid F'ing rules? What was wrong with the old test? Stick a sniffer on the tail pipe and you were OK or not - simple. Live in Northern Ontario and you can forget all this BS.

Happy birthday to me. LOL

Old 03-06-2014, 04:26 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: E test fiasco

What were the failures for? I'm pretty sure that you can get through with one failure - usually the evap acts up and you won't get it down. Any check engine light on? If not, all you can do is drive it. But on the 3rd failure they'll administer a tail pipe test. I did one last week and it took $70.00 in gas (and a $50.00 lunch with my wife) before we passed. Another one that I know of took two weeks of commuting back and forth to work before the meters reset and got a pass. Just from disconnecting the battery!
So start the Crossfire up and let it idle for a day or so - that might help.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ottawa John
What were the failures for? I'm pretty sure that you can get through with one failure - usually the evap acts up and you won't get it down. Any check engine light on? If not, all you can do is drive it. But on the 3rd failure they'll administer a tail pipe test. I did one last week and it took $70.00 in gas (and a $50.00 lunch with my wife) before we passed. Another one that I know of took two weeks of commuting back and forth to work before the meters reset and got a pass. Just from disconnecting the battery!
So start the Crossfire up and let it idle for a day or so - that might help.
That's good to know, I forget what the failures were but basically the guy said the car did not have enough miles under its belt since the repair. Maybe I should stick $70 in the tank and take you and your wife out to lunch and get to know you. LOL
There has been a lot of upset people with this problem.
Ontario driving cycle to pass the E test.
Chrysler Drive Cycle to pass E test.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
chrysler_drive_cycle.pdf (38.2 KB, 319 views)

Last edited by onehundred80; 03-06-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Forum Regular

Save the $70.00 for a GTG and we'll meet up in the warm weather. I'm going to be on Buck Spunnys' waterfall cruise this May - that should be good.
There are a lot of concerns with these emissions tests. I feel bad for the garages that invested in facilities, equipment, and personnel for the exhaust testing only to have the government pull the rug out from under them and go to this newer test. And lots of people are having trouble with it.
Just put some miles on the car, or hours, and the meters will (or should) eventually reset. If you don't have a dash light on.
Looking forward to meeting up -

Old 03-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Save the $70.00 for a GTG and we'll meet up in the warm weather. I'm going to be on Buck Spunnys' waterfall cruise this May - that should be good.
There are a lot of concerns with these emissions tests. I feel bad for the garages that invested in facilities, equipment, and personnel for the exhaust testing only to have the government pull the rug out from under them and go to this newer test. And lots of people are having trouble with it.
Just put some miles on the car, or hours, and the meters will (or should) eventually reset. If you don't have a dash light on.
Looking forward to meeting up -
I found out that of the seven tests on the Chrysler list my car passed the first and fourth.
This is going to be fun.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:36 PM
Forum Regular

It's no big deal. Just drive and the meters magically reset.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:09 PM

It's no big deal. Just drive and the meters magically reset.
Yeah, including the fuel gauge.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Forum Regular

HTML Code:
Yeah, including the fuel gauge.;)
Well, there is that. But if you didn't need the etest for licensing at this time you'd be driving normally and not even knowing that the meters were resetting. The lesson for me too has been to not wait until the sticker is due. I'll get my testing done when notified by the ministry for the renewal. That will leave me enough time to get anything done that I need to do before the sticker expires and I won't be without the car unnecessarily. That's not like me. I usually hold off giving the government any money as long as i can!

Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So many issues with these money grabs... my crossfire shows up sl55 amg when it gets plugged in which causes an issue and takes almost an hour to get an e-test. My insurance slip says crossfire 2 door pickup... try and figure that one out...
Pick up Sparkie and come visit Steve and I. That should put the needed KM's on your car since he owes you a cake anyhow.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:23 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beaner
So many issues with these money grabs... my crossfire shows up sl55 amg when it gets plugged in which causes an issue and takes almost an hour to get an e-test. My insurance slip says crossfire 2 door pickup... try and figure that one out...
Pick up Sparkie and come visit Steve and I. That should put the needed KM's on your car since he owes you a cake anyhow.

You guys available next Saturday the 15th?? I will pick Dave up and head to Viagara Falls. Steve can thaw the cake out. I need to bring some green......

Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

Facing an E test on the XF. Have the P410 code. Contacts on relay in rcm keep going black. Have cleaned them again and pump is working. will get one of the techs at work to clear the code then go for the test.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My etest is due now with the birthday deadline next month. Because of the winter that never seems to end, the car is still in storage, in fact I haven't even bothered to put the liability insurance back on until the better weather arrives. This will be the 2nd test for the car and I'm not anticipating any problems providing no issues arose during storage. As long as the "Check Engine" lamp isn't on and no codes present, I should be good to go! If not, I'll be posting on the forum the results. The first test two years ago was odd in my opinion as the shop simply hooked up the analyzer/sensor to the tailpipe and before I knew it, it was printing out a "pass". I was surprised at how quick the test went and unlike other cars in the past, no dyno and no revving of the engine. When asked...the shop told me they simply did an "idle" test......

That said, here at the Ont Legislature, the Drive Clean Program is mentioned almost every day as hundreds of petitions are presented by the Conservatives to get rid of the program. The Conservatives (if you believe them) have said that if they become the government in the next election, they will do away with the program. Simply, the vast majority of cars tested are now passing the test and the usefulness of the test is now in question....apparently the cost has been lowered as well. Is that true Dave? Down from $30 to $25?

Old 03-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Forum Regular

HTML Code:
As long as the "Check Engine" lamp isn't on
Hey Tony - if you don't have an actual problem you won't get a check engine light, but if the battery has been disconnected or has gone dead, the car can still fail. That's because it can take a little driving before the meters are reset and give the proper reading back to the computer.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

HTML Code:
As long as the "Check Engine" lamp isn't on
Hey Tony - if you don't have an actual problem you won't get a check engine light, but if the battery has been disconnected or has gone dead, the car can still fail. That's because it can take a little driving before the meters are reset and give the proper reading back to the computer.
Yep, agreed. The car was running like a dream when parked for the winter and a battery maintainer has been on all winter with a nice glowing "green" lamp for "charged"...can't wait for this #$@%&* snow to disappear and get the car back on the road! The much older '82 Volvo is exempt from etesting, complete with historical plates.....I'll share a story about the Volvo and etesting some day with you.....long story short, I found a flaw in the testing, proved it, had the ministry of the environment confirm the flaw and issue me a one time "pass" at the time. My story made the Toronto Star newspaper as I personally challenged the testing with the fact that the car and its specifications will NEVER pass using the current database....blah blah blah.....this is all moot now as the car is exempt.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tonygg
My etest is due now with the birthday deadline next month. Because of the winter that never seems to end, the car is still in storage, in fact I haven't even bothered to put the liability insurance back on until the better weather arrives. This will be the 2nd test for the car and I'm not anticipating any problems providing no issues arose during storage. As long as the "Check Engine" lamp isn't on and no codes present, I should be good to go! If not, I'll be posting on the forum the results. The first test two years ago was odd in my opinion as the shop simply hooked up the analyzer/sensor to the tailpipe and before I knew it, it was printing out a "pass". I was surprised at how quick the test went and unlike other cars in the past, no dyno and no revving of the engine. When asked...the shop told me they simply did an "idle" test......

That said, here at the Ont Legislature, the Drive Clean Program is mentioned almost every day as hundreds of petitions are presented by the Conservatives to get rid of the program. The Conservatives (if you believe them) have said that if they become the government in the next election, they will do away with the program. Simply, the vast majority of cars tested are now passing the test and the usefulness of the test is now in question....apparently the cost has been lowered as well. Is that true Dave? Down from $30 to $25?
I think the test went from $35 to $30, not sure as I have not paid yet.
I'm told that if the car keeps on failing because it will not reset then they do the old tail pipe test. How many times it has to fail I have yet to find out. Just my luck that I got a new battery and had the speed sensor go on that 300 just before the test.
If the battery was disconnected then the test will be a 'FAIL' as the computer has to be reset. My last test was very quick as well, I was watching the guy and suddenly another guy was calling me out to pay.

I will have to get a temporary permit and drive the 'Fire around a bit as the battery was disconnected once last fall when it was in storage.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Drove the car around a bit more, did a few miles on the 410 and low and behold the car passed.
Hopefully this will be the last time we need to do this test.

This leaves me with a loose heat shield over the cat, sticky brakes and knocking sounds from the suspension on all four corners, sway bars I think.

I love this 300, not.

Test is still $35.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Drove the car around a bit more, did a few miles on the 410 and low and behold the car passed.
Hopefully this will be the last time we need to do this test.

This leaves me with a loose heat shield over the cat, sticky brakes and knocking sounds from the suspension on all four corners, sway bars I think.

I love this 300, not.

Test is still $35.
Clunking may just be the stab bar bushings. Can try to lube them or just replace with poly bushings.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
Clunking may just be the stab bar bushings. Can try to lube them or just replace with poly bushings.
I'm thinking it is the sway bar links that are shot. Had that trouble on the LHS.
What about tomorrow?
Last year I had the Crossy out on the 3rd of April, this year maybe the 3rd of May by the way things are going.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I'm thinking it is the sway bar links that are shot. Had that trouble on the LHS.
What about tomorrow?

Sent you an email...still a go!!!.................

Old 03-20-2014, 11:49 AM

The loose heat shield over the cat was due to the salt interacting with the steel speed nut and the aluminum heat shield. All four nuts had eaten a circular hole in the shield and caused it to drop. The speed nuts were filled with hard salt and it was hard to chip and wash out.
This is the third aluminum part attached with steel screws under the 300 that in the winter is in a highly salt sprayed area. It took seven years to do it but the Chrysler engineers and designers really thought this one out. The other parts to come loose were the two aluminum dust shields behind the front rotors.

This is why I would not use steel screws where Chrysler had aluminum or possibly plated steel screws in the engine block. Not salty on my garage queen but a daily driver will see some salt spray in some parts of the country and also those areas close to the seashore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E test fiasco