Cars For Sale - Archive This forum is no longer accepting new listings. Go to **the *new* Crossfire Marketplace**

Vin and Title wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vin and Title wanted

My dad and I bought an 04 Black NA crossfire a few months ago as a parts car for my red crossfire. The man we bought it from said it drove weird and he thought the teeth of the rear differential were broken. We got it home and I started tinkering on it to see what was wrong with it. Come to find out it drove weird because of a bad Mass Air Flow Sensor. I replaced the bad sensor and it drives perfectly fine now. We now would like to get the car put on the road instead of tearing it apart; however, we bought the car without a title from the guy. We looked into getting a replacement title from the DMV, but found out it has a rather EXPENSIVE lien we must pay off before getting a new title. Instead, we would like to buy a title and window vin from someone who has an extra crossfire they use for parts. The title can be either clean or salvage, we just want to get the car back on the road, and enjoy it, without paying an arm and a leg for the lien.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:47 AM
Received 153 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Re: Vin and Title wanted

So, you are looking to register the car under another car's VIN ? Isn't that uh, ILLEGAL ?
What happens if you ever get stopped and the officer compares the title to the car's VIN plate ?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM
Forum Regular
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Er that's called "ringing" where I'm from, swapping vin numbers, and titles ?....................pretty sure it's illegal in all 50 states .....................

Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by magredvet
Er that's called "ringing" where I'm from, swapping vin numbers, and titles ?....................pretty sure it's illegal in all 50 states .....................
So I guess you do not own it anyway, wash your hands of it snd learn a lesson. Take it back to where you got it or drop it off at the lien holders. If you start messing with it you are in receipt of a stolen car, stolen from the lien holder. You could start your own chop shop though.
On the other hand you may have a chance of taking an auto repair course in the correction facility.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:39 AM
Received 202 Likes on 153 Posts

if their were no lien on it, maybe you could do that but ,,i agree with onehundered call the lien co and tell them what happened ,, they will tell you to either give them the car( put the old censer back) or pay off the loan and keep the car. or whatever,, did you get a recite,and did he tell you his real name if the owner reports it stolen,,, you may go ti jail. get out of this asap jim

Old 01-08-2019, 10:23 AM
Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

I think we are being "punked"............can the OP be THAT naive?

Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not the title holder, you don't own it. Period.

Have the DMV look up the legal owner and get it back to him before you get in legal trouble. Work out the money situation later.

You may even have to drop it off at a police impound yard so you are not in legal possession of the vehicle. Obviously, tell the police if the DMV or the legal owner cannot or will not help you.

Last edited by David M; 01-08-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:22 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said here, you are flirting with TROUBLE. You can change the vin plate if you want, BUT that is not the only place the vin number is.
It will be STAMPED other places, the frame comes to mind. I was an insurance adjuster years ago and had to look at some ambulances that were in
a building fire. The only way we could identify the vehicles was just that way. The tags had melted away.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was a lender on cars for many years. It amazes me when someone cannot pay for the car they decide to sell it as a “Lost Title” car. It’s even more amazing when someone buys it thinking it’s really theirs. Other responses are correct, the VIN is located many places on the car. Heck, I can plug in my OBD reader and get the vin. You have options: Keep it and risk arrest for receiving Stolen Merchandise. Scrap it and risk being arrested for running a Chop Shop. Take it to the rightful lienholder.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:37 AM
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Well am pretty sure the lienholder does not want the car. Another possibility is to tell them (e.g. registered letter) that it is on your property and offer what you think is a fair amount as a parts car. I am wondering if you could place another lien on the car in the amount paid in good face for it.. It is possible they will just send a tow truck or a policeman but you will have proof that you acknowledged their interest in it and how they may retrieve it. From there it is a negotiation but you could wind up with both the car and a clear title for not much more money. Am not a lawyer but suspect your only obligation is to acknowledge their interest and tell them where the car is. I doubt that you are under any obligation to provide any transportation.

Just my opinion.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You have have some valid advice already provided.

My first thought was to suggest you make an offer to the lien holder but that might get you locked up for being in possession of stolen property. Going through an attorney might work if you can find one who does not feel they would be breaking the law.

Not a straight forward situation. Be careful.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:54 PM

It is now a decision for a judge to make. Report your situation to the police before you get in legal trouble.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by David M
It is now a decision for a judge to make. Report your situation to the police before you get in legal trouble.
I don't think that's a good idea; talk with an attorney!