Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Newbie Question -- Tires?

Old 05-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question -- Tires?

I am shopping for a Crossfire and, pending the right lease deal, will likely end up with a Limited Coupe 6-Speed.

Is the 2005's "standard" tire still the Michelin Pilot Sport (I know the optional all-season tires are the Continental SportContact)? For those who have driven both, is the performance -- handling, turn in, etc. -- difference substantial? Put another way, do you lose much in the way of high-performance if you opt for the all-season tires?

I'd go for the price of the base model if they hadn't gone too far in de-contenting the trim -- the bright windshield frame, side strakes and door handles are a necessary part of the design's appeal (to these eyes, at least).

I'm still undecided between the graphite gray and the aero blue colors. I very much prefer the red leather interior, but suspect there are too many of these in the mix.

I've done a lot of reading of road tests online, and suspect that most are correct in rating the stock Crossfire a bit short of competitors like the Audi TT, Porsche Boxter, Nissan 350Z, etc. But at the real world (read "fire sale") prices now on offer, this becomes a most competitive choice vs the Acura RSX Type S (my former car), Civic Si coupe, VW GTI, in large part because of its rear wheel drive layout.

Woe be unto those who buy, however, as the giveaway prices and soon-to-be orphan status are dooming these to low, low resale prices (most Chrysler dealers' total unfamiliarity with the Mercedes bits also doesn't help).

Rob Gold
Royal Oak, MI

Old 05-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Newbie Question -- Tires?

Hi Rob and welcome. I have the Michelin's on mine and they are fine. I had to chuckle when I read what you drive (its a very nice car) that's what my son drives and he's been bugging me since last July to drive my car.
Nah, no way! I have a graphite coupe, 6 speed with the two tone gray interior. I think in Michigan if you are thinking about driving the car in the winter months you might want to go with all season tires vs the Michelins. I have the luxury of only driving mine when the roads are nice and clear so the tires are not an issue for me.
Good luck with your decision.

Pat

Old 05-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RGvivace
... do you lose much in the way of high-performance if you opt for the all-season tires?
IMO with all seasons tires you have a bad summer and worse winter tire. I suppose in MI you expect some snow during winter. Drive the summer tire in summer and on snow get a real winter tire. It's much safer and comfortable.

greets

Old 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM

Forget all-season tires, there is no such thing, you lose out in both ends... As chxf says get yourself a spare set of wheels and a good set of Winter tires. If you plan on running the car at all hard, get a decent set of maximum performance tires after you wear out the Michelins. The Michelins are OK, but seemed "greasy" to me when pushed hard. I have Bridgestone S-03's now and they feel a lot better. There is no way that you can beat a dedicated set of Summer and Winter tires, the "all seasons" just don't cut it in comparison.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tire opinions, are pretty much like navels (everybody has one). And even though I'm on record as never having driven my Crossfire over 100 mph as of yet, I do still enjoy leaving other drivers in my dust (so to speak) when the road gets twisty.
So far, with my all seasons, I have yet to get sideways, or even loose on any paved roads. Trust me, the Crossfire was built to handle, and it does.
Unless you live somewhere where it never rains, or you intend to enter your car into some sort of timed competition, I wouldn't say the car needs a stickier tire that will undoubtedly wear out quicker.
I fully realize all seasons are a compromise, and of course non-all seasons will improve the handling on warm dry pavement. But I suppose it simply boils down to the type of driving you are going to be doing most often.
IMO the a/s tires work out fine for anything but the most extreme conditions, which most drivers seldom if ever realize.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Forum Regular

For what it's worth, I have the Conti ASP's and I think the ride is much smoother and quieter with these tires as compared to the (standard) Michelin Pilots. I live in Northeast Ohio and don't drive my Crossfire in the winter. I also don't race the car. But it does rain here and with the All Season Performance tires I don't have to worry about loss of traction on wet pavement. I noticed that with the Pilots the traction control would turn on just pulling out into traffic on wet pavement.

Take plenty of test drives and compare for yourself. It comes down to your driving style and conditions.

Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 PM
PJA

Does anybody make runflat tires for this car?

Pete

Old 05-22-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My .02
I only have one car at this time. I have the all season conti.
I drive the car hard and they do stick good.
I am sure a summer only tire would have more bite but. the all seasons are good.
I may change my mind when I get a chance to try some serious summer tires but until then I say the all seasons are good for street driving even if you push it.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

I've never had any wheel spin (Michelins) at all in wet weather. Its probably as much how you drive as the tires?

Pat

Old 05-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Re: Newbie Question -- Tires?

RGvivace

I can't speak for the Continentals but I sure love the Michelin Pilots. I was sold on our first trip up the Pacific Highway from LA to the Washington boarder, i pushed the car hard and it just hugged the road. We've got just over 12K miles and still lots of tread. I could ask for a better. I have never driven my in the winter, but I too agree with chxf get a winter car. I can't see the xfire being very good in the snow, low clearance and rear wheel drive.

Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Re: Newbie Question -- Tires?

I had a '04 Z4 with run flats. They run REAL stiff, bone jarring stiff. The lower the aspect ratio the stiffer the ride.

Here is the worst part about run flats. They have no factory tread wear guarantee (individual companies will offer different warranties). I had less than 3K miles on my first set when I picked up a nail. My tire sensors reported low pressure and I immediately checked the tires. Found the nail and immediately went to the dealer to get it fixed. They WON'T fix them!

Got into a bit of an argument with the dealer, then called Bridgestone. They don't RECOMMEND repairs. It seems that if used as designed the sidewalls break down (100 miles at 50 MPH). I told them that it had just happened and I immediately filled the tire with air and drove to the dealer. It was never driven "flat". They didn't care. I called a number of different tire stores, garages etc. All would not repair the tire.

A friend in Colorado did get a fix from a Big O tire there but they told him that the tire lost its speed rating and they recommended he drive easy on it.

Run flats sound good in theory, but can cost a whole lot to replace. The handling is not as good as a good standard performance tire and they generally cost twice as much.

3K miles barely broken in, and they had to be replaced for $300 ea. Never again!

Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
I had a '04 Z4 with run flats. They run REAL stiff, bone jarring stiff. The lower the aspect ratio the stiffer the ride.

Here is the worst part about run flats. They have no factory tread wear guarantee (individual companies will offer different warranties). I had less than 3K miles on my first set when I picked up a nail. My tire sensors reported low pressure and I immediately checked the tires. Found the nail and immediately went to the dealer to get it fixed. They WON'T fix them!

Got into a bit of an argument with the dealer, then called Bridgestone. They don't RECOMMEND repairs. It seems that if used as designed the sidewalls break down (100 miles at 50 MPH). I told them that it had just happened and I immediately filled the tire with air and drove to the dealer. It was never driven "flat". They didn't care. I called a number of different tire stores, garages etc. All would not repair the tire.

A friend in Colorado did get a fix from a Big O tire there but they told him that the tire lost its speed rating and they recommended he drive easy on it.

Run flats sound good in theory, but can cost a whole lot to replace. The handling is not as good as a good standard performance tire and they generally cost twice as much.

3K miles barely broken in, and they had to be replaced for $300 ea. Never again!
Wow SRT SIX, Thanks for the "heads up". That's alot of useful information to know.
I never even considered "run flats" before, but after hearing all that, I probably never will.
I know what you mean by "bone jarring ride". My first new car was a 1969 AMX that already rode pretty stiff. But the Good Year "Poly Glas" 70 series tires that it came with were terrible. Within a few weeks I had installed radials.

Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 PM

I have both the Conti's and the Michelin's. The Conti's are softer rubber and smoother ride but the Michelin's are for more performance driving and offer better g's (grip) on cornering than the Conti's. Under hard cornering at speeds of 90 mph plus i prefer the stability and grip of the Michelin and in the rain the Michelin's are also WAY better with no sign of tire slip. The ride on the Michelin is a bit rougher but not to the point of it being uncomfortable. The exact same Michelin PS2 we have in the XFire's is standard on the Porsche Cayman.

As far as your color option goes you have to go with a limited since the base is only available in black and now in red if you can get one with the SRT rims the spring edition i believe. I had a base (only available in black) and it was a fun car without too much missing from it unless you like the luxury items like leather, power seats, heated seats, TPS and so forth.

When the car falls short to the competition is that they expect this car for the money to have about 270 to 280 hp and it only offers 215 however the torque and gearing in the lower gears make it feel much quicker than the hp numbers state.

This cars direct competition I would say IMO is the TT and it betters it in handling and power from experience i'm referring to the 225 hp version and even the 250 hp VR6 version of the TT is a good competitor to the crossfire.