Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

paint on paint...

Old 08-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paint on paint...

well here is my problem...where i work at they painted some kind of tanks white of all colors. and they could not just roll the paint on they had to spray it. so now i have white paint specks all over one side of my car. i tried to wash them off, some came off but you have to rub so hard. is there a wax or something that will take the paint off my paint.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Default Re: paint on paint...

I'd try a clay bar. I'm sure you'll get some good answers from the "detailer" guys, here.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 PM

Was it a professional paint crew or an employer do-it-yourself job? My brother is in the commercial painting business and they pay for cars to be professionally detailed in cases like this. Some of those new coatings can be very difficult to remove.

Maybe the painting company will pony up the bucks...Just a thought.

Old 08-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Forum Regular

First try the clay bar, it's easy to use and should remove the paint overspray. If that doesn't work, you can buy a polishing compound (I'd use a 3M 2000-2500 grade compound). I wouldn't use rubbing compound because that will be too abrasive and will give you swirl marks. Whatever you use, make sure to follow up with a good coat of wax. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Forum Regular

I'd try a liquid cleaner called "Goof Off". If you've got a good coat of wax on the car the Goof Off should take off the overspray with no problem. You can usually find it at Home Depot. Pour some on a nice soft rag and clean away. Then re-wax the area. I've used it on dead bugs and tar etc. for years.

Old 08-23-2006, 03:00 PM

would a bug and tar remover like you would get at auto zone work too?

Old 08-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

clay should work. however, file a claim with the painter. if your car was hit chances are there are many other cars nearby that were as well.

this happened to a car of mine around 15 years ago. several dozen cars were affected. i filed a claim and received more than $400. i cleaned the paint myself but it took a few hours (didn't have clay).

regardless of whether the overspray causes damage to your paint or not, it still takes labor to get it off. if it comes off with clay there would be no serious problem. however, if you need to have it compounded or perhaps even wet sanded to remove the overspray, then you are removing some of your clearcoat and I would definitely consider that degradation. the painter is definitely responsible for compensating you to repair the damage.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Goof Off should work pretty well as buggy4crossfires stated. It will work best with a good wax coat on your paint as the wax will now be the layer between your paint and the overspray specks.

I have used Goof Off on automotive paint jobs before, just be patient and you may have to apply some elbow grease as well.

Clay... I have never used, but I trust the guyz here not to steer you wrong... so either way should be fine.

Lastly, as Rob M stated... file a claim... ASAP. Even if your paint is undamaged and all you have to do is clean it and rewax the car, you are still expending time and labor to bring your finish back to the way it was. They are liable... make them responsible too.

Old 08-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Forum Regular

I don't think the bug and tar remover would be nearly as strong as the Goof Off. I've used bug and tar removers that don't get off bugs and tar. Use the Goof Off liberally. It will loosen them and they'll come off with less rubbing which can only harm the finish.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

if clay or goof off doesn't remove the overspray paint... let me know... i can provide another suggestion for removal.

cheers.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My dad had an industrial painting company for many years. I followed suit in the company for a while (being the oldest in a Greek family you do that sort of thing with family businesses). He had it set up in his liability insurance to cover such "accidents" such as cars getting overspray. You might want to approach the painting contractor to have the overspray professionally removed. Today's coatings are indeed quite durable as stated in previous posts. We used Pittsburg Paints "Pitthane", you could shoot BB's at it from close range and not damage the finish, and that's only with a few mils of product on the surface.

Personally, and it's just my opinion, I'd have it done professionally.

adoni

Old 08-24-2006, 06:23 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Clay bar first. If that does not work, try polish.
You will be amazed at what clay can do.
Could be less work than chasing down the paint co.
If it is really bad and you have to pay someone to do it then see if the paint people will pay up.
Good luck.