CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Trunk rattle noise (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/12272-trunk-rattle-noise.html)

timcrossfire 09-26-2006 11:04 AM

Trunk rattle noise

I hear a rattling noise from the trunk when i drive. it gets especially noticeable when driving on a bumpy road or if i play high bass music or just turning up the volume. It seems to me it is actually coming from the trunk lid. Does anyone know how to fix this or where it comes from?

thanks,
tim

woody 09-26-2006 11:13 AM

Re: Trunk rattle noise

I had this happen once shortly after getting the car. I cured it by re-aligning the rubber bump stops on the tailgate and greasing the latch mechanism. Its been quiet for over a year now.

adoni 09-26-2006 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by woody
I had this happen once shortly after getting the car. I cured it by re-aligning the rubber bump stops on the tailgate and greasing the latch mechanism. Its been quiet for over a year now.

Same with mine ... I adjusted the two rubber stops ... no more noise.

maxxm 09-26-2006 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by adoni
Same with mine ... I adjusted the two rubber stops ... no more noise.

Make that three. And I added an extra set of small rubber bumpers to make the contacts even better.

Another thing to check is the license plate and cover (if you use one). If you're using only the screws at the top and not those at the bottom (you might have to make two small holes for them), then the plate and cover can rattle and flap against the bumper section, particularly on choppy roads. That happened to me, too, but two screws at the bottom portion of the plate fixed it.

BRappaport 09-26-2006 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxxm
Make that three. And I added an extra set of small rubber bumpers to make the contacts even better.

Another thing to check is the license plate and cover (if you use one). If you're using only the screws at the top and not those at the bottom (you might have to make two small holes for them), then the plate and cover can rattle and flap against the bumper section, particularly on choppy roads. That happened to me, too, but two screws at the bottom portion of the plate fixed it.

I would recommend just using Velcro to secure the bottom of the license plate.

acrispy1 09-26-2006 02:48 PM

I had the same problem, had the dealer fix it, not sure what they did but it was fixed.

Ronman 09-26-2006 02:58 PM

Can someone describe in detail how they adjusted the rubber stoppers under the trunk lid? Any particular angle?

knowit 09-27-2006 10:23 PM

I had the same problem but then I returned all of those empty Heineken cans that were in the trunk!

Richard1s 09-30-2006 09:27 AM

If you're still dealing with this, I found a simple solution. A couple of foam type squares (about 1 inch square and an inch thick) with an adhesive back attached to the underside of the hatch door. It eliminated the problem.

vetofunk 11-10-2006 05:04 PM

Anyone have pictures of what they did?

Bostonsrt6 04-22-2007 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ronman
Can someone describe in detail how they adjusted the rubber stoppers under the trunk lid? Any particular angle?

Please guys we need a better description. I have adjusted them both all the way up and all the way down...Can someone take a picture of what they did so we can stop the insanity =P of the trunk rattle.

Thanks!

Mitchell Pitkoff 04-23-2007 08:57 PM

Adjusting The Hatch Rubber Bumpers Do Not Always Work. Return The Car To The Dealer And Have Them Check To See If The Rubber Liftgate Bumpers Have Indented The Metal That It Contacts With. They Can Put A Small Piece Of Dense Weather Strip On The Metal Where It Contacts. There Was Also A Service Bulletin Number 23-019-04 For Rattles In Liftgate For '04 Crossfires. There Was A Replacement Latch Assembly Available For Those Cars.