CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Lifter / Tappets noise when starting (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/12563-lifter-tappets-noise-when-starting.html)

Kit and Kat 10-17-2006 12:17 PM

Lifter / Tappets noise when starting

Good morning, We have just started to hear a clicking/tapping noise when we first start the car in the mornings... not everyday, but as we have been traveling alot recently (about 400 miles a day) we find that the tappits make a noise until the engine has warmed up... we have about 2,000 miles before a service is due, and about 50,000 miles on the clock..and are currently getting over 29 mpg, using BP Ultimate, traveling at about 75 mph..

We wondered if it was weather related, we are traveling across Florida and its been over 85f most days, any ideas what may be the problem?

blacklimitedcoupe 10-17-2006 12:23 PM

Re: Lifter / Tappets noise when starting

K&K-
I notice that sometimes too. It seems as if the lifters aren't getting oil until warmed up, but I doubt that's the case. You can hear the lifters until it's warmed up, but they aren't very loud. I don't think this is a problem because I've heard other crossfires that did the exact same thing.

PS- What part of FL are you traveling across? I travel across I75 (alligator alley) about every 2 weeks because I go to the University of Miami and my parents live on the west coast.

Kit and Kat 10-17-2006 12:30 PM

Good morning,

Thanks for the information, that was exactly how we thought it too.
We've just traversed alligator alley twice this week, went from Tampa to Key West, just back in St Pete's for a few days before heading north to Charleston... should be back again fairly soon.

blacklimitedcoupe 10-17-2006 12:32 PM

Well enjoy your long road trips - I hated driving alligator alley until I bought the crossfire...now I enjoy spending 2 hours driving. haha.

dynamicS 10-17-2006 01:10 PM

I believe there is another thread on this subject. In the end I think it was concluded that the clutch is making the tappet noise during shutdown. There are no Tappets on this car.
If you get a chance before shutting down the car or when ever you hear the tapping sounds, just depress the clutch pedal and that should make it go away. This tapping sound usually occurs during shut down not startup, maybe you have a new noise issue?

HDDP 10-17-2006 04:53 PM

Valve noise is inherent in this motor... TIK TIK TIK.

blacklimitedcoupe 10-17-2006 05:25 PM

HDDP - your car looks great...what front lip do you have on there? Is that the SRT-6 front bumper or the startech lip?

HDDP 10-17-2006 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by blacklimitedcoupe
HDDP - your car looks great...what front lip do you have on there? Is that the SRT-6 front bumper or the startech lip?

SRT6. Still needs some front aero mods IMO, but will cost me points in my NASA classing, so I'm not adding...