Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Driving 2,700 miles to buy Xfire

Old 11-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving 2,700 miles to buy Xfire

I am leaving Puerto Vallarta Mexico to dump off my Mercedes ML430 and trading it in for a 2004 xfire!!!
Never test drove one, never even seen one up close. Just started researching what to buy next and I am in love and can't wait to drive it.
One question though...how much room in the trunk??? I do have to drive it back to Mexico and wife is coming with me and she sure likes to pack.
I have searched for pictures on internet but cant quite see how many pieces I can fit in the trunk. One thing is guaranteed...One mid/large size suite case and 2 laptops...the rest is for my clothes...what do I have to work with???
I leave Monday and arrive in Canada friday and pick up the car Saturday so a quick reply would be appreciated.
It seems to me that everyone loves their xfire and can't wait to get there.

Last edited by xfireinpv; 11-03-2006 at 09:39 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Driving 2,700 miles to buy Xfire

Originally Posted by xfireinpv
I am leaving Puerto Vallarta Mexico to dump off my Mercedes ML430 and trading it in for a 2004 xfire!!!
Never test drove one, never even seen one up close. Just started researching what to buy next and I am in love and can't wait to drive it.
One question though...how much room in the trunk??? I do have to drive it back to Mexico and wife is coming with me and she sure likes to pack.
I have searched for pictures on internet but cant quite see how many pieces I can fit in the trunk. One thing is guaranteed...One mid/large size suite case and 2 laptops...the rest is for my clothes...what do I have to work with???
I leave Monday and arrive in Canada friday and pick up the car Saturday so a quick reply would be appreciated.
You would be surprised...the trunk is actually pretty big...depends on the size of the suit case, but all in all... everything you mentioned should fit.

Congrats on the car and you made the right choice...

Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 PM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I hope you mean the coupe? I have the roadster, and the trunk is not meant for luggage. If I'll ever use my roadster for a trip anything other than my laptop, and a garment bag or duffle bag will be send by UPS.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 PM

You're going to drive a X-fire in Puerto Vallarta? I don't think your suspension,wheels and tires are going to last long... Roads are rough cobblestones mostly the roughest roads I've ever been on. Where In Puerto Vallarta do you live?

Matt
'04 6 spd graphite/grey

Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
I hope you mean the coupe? I have the roadster, and the trunk is not meant for luggage. If I'll ever use my roadster for a trip anything other than my laptop, and a garment bag or duffle bag will be send by UPS.
He mentioned 2004 crossfire so I figured coupe.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:44 PM

Not downtown!! We also have an Expedition. I live in Nuevo Vallarta. My drive to the office is nice paved roads. When we hit cobblestones the Expedition will get the call.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 PM

I get two fairly large suit cases and a hold all in with no problem, would probably fit more in if i needed to.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:18 PM
Forum Regular
Smile Re: Driving 2,700 miles to buy Xfire

Wow, You must be getting a great deal to drive that far. I'm willing to bet your drive home will be more fun that the drive up. Crossfire is a GREAT car. I have a 2004 coupe and I love it. Be safe and have fun on your trip.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never test drove one, never even seen one up close. Just started researching what to buy next and I am in love and can't wait to drive it. I leave Monday and arrive in Canada friday and pick up the car Saturday so a quick reply would be appreciated.
WOW!! Talk about a leap of faith!

To be honest, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in my Crossfire right now and drive 3,000 miles either. But then, I know what to expect.
xfireinpv, You and your Wife are in for an adventure. Take lots of photos, and don't forget to post them here. Most forum members enjoy living the Crossfire experience vicariously through photos from fellow members. If it's not to much trouble, why not take us all along on your trip home. (you did say that you were taking your lap tops along) I'm sure everybody would enjoy reading about your new experiences in a travel log of sorts.
Anyway, be safe, have fun, and I'd be willing bet the trip home will be over sooner than you expect.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Forum Regular

Do a webcam on one of those notebooks and get an account with Yahoo... give us a live feed while you travel... heck we should all do that, I just need to figure a way to hook my old desktop to a 12 volt power pack and set it up inside the car... off we would go folks.

Old 11-04-2006, 04:11 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

xfireinpv,

I would ask your wife to 'pack light'. Strange as it sounds it will probably work.

My wife had the same 'affliction' when we got married. I just asked her nicely to pack lighter.

Your wife will thank you later.

Last word of advice. Take smaller bags. You can take more of them, but take smaller bags. It will make packing the Crossfire easier. It does have a substantial trunk area (coupe) but it will make it easier if most bags are no more than twice the size of your laptop bags.

The luggage that was delivered later for ours (look for 'Touring Gear' on your window sticker) is one expandable roll away bag about 15" x 12" (15" expanded) x 24" and two soft side duffle type bags of roughly the same dimensions. (When folded up the two duffels fit inside of the roll away in it's collapsed configuration).

I could probably fit all three bags in the trunk area along with both of our laptop bags and be able to cover it all with the cargo cover (add on item).

Hope that helps you with your packing planning.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 AM
PJA

Don't forget to get the luggage from the seller (Touring Package). BTW, I love your town!

Pete

Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 AM
FP

Originally Posted by Sidez
he mentioned 2004 crossfire so I figured coupe.
good catch.

Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 AM

I can get a large suitcase, carry-on bag and my computer bag in my coupe with no problem at all. As someone mentioned above the more small bags the better as they are easier to position and you can maximize the space.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:57 AM

I don't understand why you've dumped off your ML430. It's a great car, comfortable and fun to drive. Besides it's a "Merc". Replacements for its Mercedes ML430 parts are easy to get since its easy on the pocket.

If you have troubles with it, I think it's just minor just like mine.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just make sure you're aware that the crossfire does not come with a spare tire.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FP
I got the xfire suit case in, no problem and surprisingly, I think the roadster holds more than I ever expected. If he's driving solo, there is a lot of room in the passenger seat. No, I wouldn't be packing a ton of stuff, but hey, whatever won't fit, i can always go shopping along the way and how fun is that?

Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
FP

Originally Posted by golfergal
I got the xfire suit case in, no problem and surprisingly, I think the roadster holds more than I ever expected. If he's driving solo, there is a lot of room in the passenger seat. No, I wouldn't be packing a ton of stuff, but hey, whatever won't fit, i can always go shopping along the way and how fun is that?
Actually, now that I have the XF luggage, it fits nicely. But, It won't hold my golf clubs. I have to put those on the passenger seat.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Forum Regular

My golf bag travels next to me in the passenger seat like a best friend or beloved family member! Am I weird, or what? I often drive my roadster to the course and have my husband follow me in his Jeep. It's a short trip, but there's something nice about driving with my "top down" with my clubs next to me! I know...I'm an odd ball, but I do love my Ping G5's and my Callaway bag...of course, they match my car... which happened to be a coincidence!

I hit ***** at our driving range and I usually always have my clubs with me in the spring so I can hit the practice range on my way home from work! Call me an addict...I know!

Notice the "Aeroblue" golf outfit! Gosh, I need therapy!

Old 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM

You Are Going To Love The Car. As A Point Of Information Purchase A Plug Kit For The Tires Since There Is No Spare. I Have Been To P.v. From Merrick New York 8 Times. It Will Sure Be A Hit Driving On The Malecon In Town. Enjoy It And Keep In Touch With Us.

Quick Reply: Driving 2,700 miles to buy Xfire