Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

New owner few questions?

Old 11-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner few questions?

Just got my '04 xfire a week ago. Went from an s2000 to it. So far I love it. I bought an '04 with 30k. I've got a few questions on it that maybe you guys can answer. From what I understand I still have a 75,000 power train warranty on the car. It does say that it only transferable to 2nd owner, I have no idea if I am...but how strict is chrysler on that. My other questions are these.

1. To me the automatic transmission is sluggish or in other words the throttle response isn't the best. What is the best mod for this? I guess really what are the best mods for this vehicle for some extra power?

2. Whining noise from front driver’s side tire area...it's audible all the time. Any clues??

3. The little button that I'm assuming is the traction control. When the orange light is lit up on my dash does that mean it’s on. I tried to spend my tires both ways, it does not seem like they are spinning. So a little confused on this?

4. Oil change?? Is this only something dealer can do? Or can I go to a quick oil change place??

That's it for now I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Forum Regular
Default Re: New owner few questions?

Originally Posted by ghoward11
Just got my '04 xfire a week ago. Went from an s2000 to it. So far I love it. I bought an '04 with 30k. I've got a few questions on it that maybe you guys can answer. From what I understand I still have a 75,000 power train warranty on the car. It does say that it only transferable to 2nd owner, I have no idea if I am...but how strict is chrysler on that. My other questions are these.

1. To me the automatic transmission is sluggish or in other words the throttle response isn't the best. What is the best mod for this? I guess really what are the best mods for this vehicle for some extra power?

2. Whining noise from front driver’s side tire area...it's audible all the time. Any clues??

3. The little button that I'm assuming is the traction control. When the orange light is lit up on my dash does that mean it’s on. I tried to spend my tires both ways, it does not seem like they are spinning. So a little confused on this?

4. Oil change?? Is this only something dealer can do? Or can I go to a quick oil change place??

That's it for now I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ok, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can...

1) If the throttle response isn't good, you may want to try resetting it. The throttle is a drive by wire system which uses an electric signal sent from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body. Over time, the computer will develop a "saved setting" based on the way the car has been driven. Resetting the throttle should give you better response. If you do a search on this forum, you can locate the quick procedure for resetting it.

2) Check the drivers side tire for uneven wear. Since the tires can't be rotate front to back, sometimes they will develop "cupping" or uneven wear on the front tire. This can cause a whining noise.

3) Yes, if the orange light is lit on your dash, then the traction control is off. However, the car is very smart and you can never turn the t/c completely off. It still comes on even when the t/c is turned off. It is often difficult to spin the tires.

4) As far as the oil change goes... the dealer will charge any where from $100-$180 for an oil change. You can get it done at a quick oil change place, but I HIGHLY DO NOT recommend it. Keep in mind that the owner's manual states that the car takes 6 quarts of oil, but that is a misprint. It actually takes 8-8.5 quarts of oil. Mobil One 0W-40 is the required grade. The oil filter is a cartridge style which is located on the top of the engine.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:55 AM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't spend your money on oil changes do it yourself for about $50-60 which includes filter. If you use a vacuum extraction such as a TopSider or electric suction pump you don't even have to turn a wrench. Like blacklimitedcoupe stated the oil filter is on top so, so suck the oil out the dipstick, change the filter, add new oil , reset the FSS maintenance reminder and your done in about 30 minutes or less.

Old 11-06-2006, 03:10 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

1. If you want to get rid of the 'sluggish' throttle I would recommend the 'Sprint Booster'. Do a search on here for the primary thread. I forget who is selling these on his website, but everyone has had good service from him. (It's skyfox I think.)

3. If you really want to spin your tires, you will have to pull a few fuses. Search for postings on disabling traction control or ESP. The base and limited models don't have enough horsepower and torque to overcome the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) when it's turned off with the dash switch as it only reduces the system by 20%. The SRT6 can, but it still trys to kick in pretty heavy and reduces the engine output. Removing the fuses pretty much kills the ESP but there is still much debate on that. HDDP mentions the proper fuses in several posts.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 AM
Forum Regular

If you want to try a throttle reset I've been told to: Turn the key to on/run (don't start the car) Hold the pedal to the floor fo 10 sec, Turn the key off and wait 20 min before you start the car then go for a drive to let it learn the way you want to drive. Or disconnect the battery for 20 min then drive. Hope it helps. Do a aearch for oil and you will find plenty of info on oil changes. I like the DIY myself. That way I know it has the correct fleece filter and oil. Have fun with your Crossfire, It's a great car. I love mine.

Old 11-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face Re: New owner few questions?

Originally Posted by ghoward11

Be very careful about oil changes...only use mobil 1 0w-40 and there is a special "fleece" oil filter that must be used. Spend the $100 and take it to a dealer...but make sure your dealer has done crossfire oil changes before. Be where of cheap $29 - $49 oil changes...they are not using the products you need for this car. If you do it yourself...get some knowledge from this form on changing the filter with the "o"-ring placement...its' easy...you just need to understand how.

Good luck.