CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   cabin air filter (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/12894-cabin-air-filter.html)

San Diego Bob 11-11-2006 09:36 PM

cabin air filter

Acidic odor coming through vents some times. Dealers says change cabin filter behind the glove compartment. $125 parts $50 labor - $175. Is this the going price? Is there another solution? Can the filter be cleaned or removed and not replaced?

San Diego Bob

patpur 11-11-2006 09:56 PM

Re: cabin air filter

You can clean it but that is dry debris. Sounds like you might have some mold going on there. The filter is easy to do yourself either way and probably way cheaper than what that dealer is quoting you. I'd buy one from parts and do it myself. I've had mine out and cleaned it. its a little tough to get to but with a little patience you can save a good del of money. Somebody here I'm sure will know the part number.
After you have it done or do it yourself try running your cabin fan on high for a few minutes before you shut your car off without the AC on. I've used this trick on my PT's and my Crossfire and never had an odor problem.

Pat

San Diego Bob 11-11-2006 09:59 PM

Thank You Pat. I will try it myself.

blacklimitedcoupe 11-11-2006 10:08 PM

I paid $37.50 for my filter from the dealer and changed it myself. If I were you, I'd replace it about every 15,000 miles. Mine had 15,000 miles on it when I changed it and it was disgusting. Under the glove box you'll see a panel. Remove the screws and drop that panel out. Then you'll see a rectangular door. Pop that open and the filter will slide out. If you need help changing it, PM me and i'll walk you through it.

bobs 11-12-2006 06:41 AM

Do a search on this forum. I did a step-by-step write up on how to change it a while back.

marauderroy 11-12-2006 09:06 AM

The dealer is trying to rip you off. Get the filter and change it yourself. It's easy and quick.

Iamfink2 11-12-2006 09:48 AM

Do a search and I think you'll find a post by Andrew that has directions and pictures on how to change the cabin filter.

andrew 11-12-2006 09:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Iamfink2
Do a search and I think you'll find a post by Andrew that has directions and pictures on how to change the cabin filter.

once you remove the lower cover/panel under the glove box & passenger foot well area.

this is what you see...
Attachment 51728

you need to slide back each clip (off white color) to remove filter cover... then pull filter out (it stands up on end).

pic of cover removed:
Attachment 51729

pics of filter at 25k (new - old): revised m/b part number
Attachment 51730

Aero Blue 11-13-2006 01:39 AM

I had service "B" recently done to my Crossfire which included a new cabin filter and the bill was $287, so I'd say just for them to replace the CF was about $165.00. My car had about 15K and it was VERY dirty. :eek: If your a do it yourselfer I say go for it, although it isn't as easy to replace as other cars, that's for sure!

FP 11-13-2006 02:15 AM

$165 is a bit stiff for a filter. Andrew's instructions do not look that complicated. I wonder what the benefit is for the Roadster? :p

andrew 11-13-2006 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by FPMartinez
$165 is a bit stiff for a filter. Andrew's instructions do not look that complicated. I wonder what the benefit is for the Roadster? :p

the filter change is cake imo. total time maybe 15 minutes. 2 bolts remove cover... slide clips pull filter out... repeat.

as for the roadster... you need clean fresh air when the top is up... it will offset all that pollution you took in with the top down. :D

dobro 03-20-2007 10:40 PM

I just had my Roadster's cabin filter replaced at 26k. It was dirty and leafy, but not overdue.

I also had a 4 wheel alignment (uneven tire wear) and an oil/filter change.

Came to two fiddy plus tax at a wonderful independent shop in Plano, TX.