CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Climate control fan motor noise (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/13158-climate-control-fan-motor-noise.html)

BRappaport 11-27-2006 12:08 PM

Climate control fan motor noise

Has anyone had a problem with the climate control fan making a winning noise when its on and at low speed? It does not do it all the time. I hope the fan motor is not going bad. I hate the thought of them replacing it and having to rip apart the dash.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

HDDP 11-27-2006 12:48 PM

Re: Climate control fan motor noise

Originally Posted by BRappaport
Has anyone had a problem with the climate control fan making a winning noise when its on and at low speed? It does not do it all the time. I hope the fan motor is not going bad. I hate the thought of them replacing it and having to rip apart the dash.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

The intake for the fan motor can suck in debris (leaves etc) from the outside which land directly on the impeller blades. unsnap the housing and clean it...

BRappaport 11-27-2006 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
The intake for the fan motor can suck in debris (leaves etc) from the outside which land directly on the impeller blades. unsnap the housing and clean it...

HDDP...Thanks...good point...but where is the intake located for the climate fan? Thanks.

HDDP 11-27-2006 01:56 PM

HDDP...Thanks...good point...but where is the intake located for the climate fan? Thanks.

The exterior portion of the intake is the cowling / vent on the passenger side where the windshield wiper is. that vent goes directly down to the fan underneath the dashboard on the passenger side.

You should download the maintenance manual here on the forum and it will show you exactly how to remove the fan / filter.

BRappaport 11-27-2006 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by HDDP
The exterior portion of the intake is the cowling / vent on the passenger side where the windshield wiper is. that vent goes directly down to the fan underneath the dashboard on the passenger side.

You should download the maintenance manual here on the forum and it will show you exactly how to remove the fan / filter.

Thanks, I have the manual...and will look at it. I thought that's were the air intake was...but it has a plastic grid so leaves can not get in there...plus I would have thought that there would be another fine screen or filter before anything could reach the fan blades. What's your feeling? Thanks.

HDDP 11-27-2006 02:29 PM

Thanks, I have the manual...and will look at it. I thought that's were the air intake was...but it has a plastic grid so leaves can not get in there...plus I would have thought that there would be another fine screen or filter before anything could reach the fan blades. What's your feeling? Thanks.

When I removed mine a few months ago there were leaves all the way down inside the filter... Don't ask me how they got there, but they did.. mine was causing a flapping / whirring sound... removed the leaves and it went away...

patpur 11-27-2006 08:02 PM

Ok somebody has to say it "How did my wife get in your fan motor?"

:rolleyes: Pat

+fireamx 11-27-2006 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by patpur
Ok somebody has to say it "How did my wife get in your fan motor?"

:rolleyes: Pat

Pat, make sure you let us know tomorrow how that "couch" felt tonight. ;)

stryfox 11-27-2006 10:00 PM

I had leaves in mine last fall.
Took cover off pass side bottom of dash- 2 screws and removed plate on bottom of cage assembly.
Let me know if you need help. :)

nickzava 10-16-2012 06:45 PM

Hi, my crossfire has fan noise.
I've removed,clean and replace the air cabin filter but she does noise again!
What can i do?
thanks

Nick (from Italy)

ala_xfire 10-16-2012 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by nickzava (Post 703391)
Hi, my crossfire has fan noise.
I've removed,clean and replace the air cabin filter but she does noise again!
What can i do?
thanks

Nick (from Italy)

If you replaced the cabin filter, you probably saw the fan ....
Not too hard to remove it and see if it is trash or a bearing causing the noise ...
( one of the first things I did when I got my roadster was remove and clean the fan, most have leaves and crap in them )

nickzava 10-16-2012 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 703393)
If you replaced the cabin filter, you probably saw the fan ....
Not too hard to remove it and see if it is trash or a bearing causing the noise ...
( one of the first things I did when I got my roadster was remove and clean the fan, most have leaves and crap in them )

Thanks for your superfast reply!

how can i see the fan?
is it difficoult to do it?

thanks

ala_xfire 10-16-2012 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by nickzava (Post 703395)
Thanks for your superfast reply!

how can i see the fan?
is it difficoult to do it?

thanks

from the service manual :

1. Remove the lower instrument panel cover from the instrument panel
2. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector from the relief in the blower motor door.
3. Slide the blower motor door catch mounts to the sides.
4. Swing the blower motor door down.
5. Remove the screws attaching the blower motor to the heater housing.
6. Remove the blower motor and squirrel cage as an assembly.

NOTE: You can also see the top of the fan by removing the plastic cowl piece ( where the windshield wipers are )
This will allow you to go in with a vacume cleaner and remove all the debris ......

nickzava 10-16-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 703397)
from the service manual :

1. Remove the lower instrument panel cover from the instrument panel
2. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector from the relief in the blower motor door.
3. Slide the blower motor door catch mounts to the sides.
4. Swing the blower motor door down.
5. Remove the screws attaching the blower motor to the heater housing.
6. Remove the blower motor and squirrel cage as an assembly.

NOTE: You can also see the top of the fan by removing the plastic cowl piece ( where the windshield wipers are )
This will allow you to go in with a vacume cleaner and remove all the debris ......

the 123456 point seems difficoult (4 my english too)

the NOTE seem more simple; so i just have to use a srewdrivere for remove the plastic cowl and clean the fan?

i hope it's enouth!

thanks

ala_xfire 10-16-2012 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by nickzava (Post 703398)
the 123456 point seems difficoult (4 my english too)

the NOTE seem more simple; so i just have to use a srewdrivere for remove the plastic cowl and clean the fan?

i hope it's enouth!

thanks

it's not a screwdriver, it's a T20 torx driver for the screws, and a 12 or 13 mm socket for the wiper arms removal. There are also a couple of small plastic wire ties that you will need to cut, then replace.

nickzava 10-16-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 703399)
it's not a screwdriver, it's a T20 torx driver for the screws, and a 12 or 13 mm socket for the wiper arms removal. There are also a couple of small plastic wire ties that you will need to cut, then replace.

Ok thanks again.

one last question: where can i find the service manual?

nickzava 10-17-2012 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire (Post 703399)

Thanks a lot, this morning i've solved the problem.
There was a leaf in the fan under the passenger windscreen wiper.

Now it's all ok!