Exterior & Lighting Any questions related to exterior, lighting and styling go in here.

WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts
Default Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

Originally Posted by Warren Smith
Well, I happen to think that white is a great looking color on the crossfire. As is said, that black is the absence of color and white is the combination of all colors.
I thought that black was all colors.
Reflecting no light whereas white reflects all light. Red for example reflects light in the red spectrum only.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-23-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I thought that black was all colors.
Reflecting no light whereas white reflects all light. Red for example reflects light in the red spectrum only.

Sorry 180, white is th inclusion of all colors.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black is made through the sum of all colors. Black is seen by the absence of any color.

Last edited by arejohn; 08-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
Black is made through the sum of all colors. Black is seen by the absence of any color.
I am more right than he is, I mention reflected light as well. So there. Na na nanana.

I answered your original post which is now altered. In it you said we are both right.

Last edited by onehundred80; 08-24-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 369 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn

If you change the first word from black to white, this statement would becorrect.

Second paragraph titled BLACK ENERGY ( Black is not a color, strictly speaking. It is the absence of all color. When people speak of opposites, it is usually in terms of black and white. Black, and its opposite white, represent polarities. Black absorbs all aspects of light. While white reveals, black conceals. It has come to mean hidden, fearful or bad experience. It is linked to the unknown or the unseen. ) says it all.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:30 PM

Pigments absorb color, lack of pigment reflects the color. Black is the presence of all pigments, reflecting no light (no visible color in the spectrum.) White is the absence of all pigment, reflecting all colors in the visible light spectrum.

/nerd

Old 08-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The next time someone ask me what the color of my car is, I'll tell them it is the sum of all colors. It's black damn it.

Old 08-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Bill F
The next time someone ask me what the color of my car is, I'll tell them it is the sum of all colors. It's black damn it.
Haha. Mine is red. I just hate when people call it maroon. It doesn't look maroon!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Forum Regular

For some reason many call metallic red maroon. I once thought I knew what color is maroon. Now I am kinda leaning toward the idea I only think I thought I knew.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:23 AM

Regarding the black and white discussion - it has to do with additive and subtractive color. If color is viewed through a light source (shining different colored lights into the same area) then all colors combined equals white (additive). If color is viewed through a material that reflects light (such as paint or anything else that is not a light source) then all colors combined equals black (subtractive). With additive (light) you begin with nothing (blackness) and as you add more colored lights to it, it gets lighter until you reach white. With subtractive (paint) you begin with nothing (whiteness) and as you add more colored paints to it, it gets darker until you reach black. So on a car, black is the sum of all colors and white is completely devoid of color - technically. (Sorry, I'm a graphic designer and had a few too many color theory classes drilled into my head in college - I'm a little obsessive about that stuff).

For another fun discussion in color theory, you'll find that shadows cast the complementary color of their light source. (Red lights cast green shadows, etc.) So, since the sun is actually a yellow-orangeish light, most shadows are actually bluish-purple. The only time you really see a black shadow is if you have pure white light. - I know, nobody cares, but I think it's rather fascinating.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Talking Re: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...

AHHHH the green shadow is an effect of Physiology. Red light by definition is . . .wait for it . . . RED.

Take a photo of this green shadow and the camera will not notice green.

This is like the persistence of vision issue where you stare at one color or dark / light shape and you see the opposite "afterimage".

Afterimage
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from After image)
For other uses, see Afterimage (disambiguation).

This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (January 2012)

If the viewer stares at this image for 20–60 seconds and stares at a white object a negative afterimage will appear (in this case being cyan on magenta). This can also be achieved by the viewer closing his/her eyes and tilting their head up.
An afterimage or ghost image or image burn-in is an optical illusion that refers to an image continuing to appear in one's vision after the exposure to the original image has ceased. One of the most common afterimages is the bright glow that seems to float before one's eyes after looking into a light source for a few seconds.[citation needed]
Closing the eye can help achieve a better sense of the color in its own aspect.[citation needed]
Afterimages come in two forms, negative (inverted) and positive (retaining original color). The process behind positive afterimages is unknown, though thought to be related to neural adaptation. On the other hand, negative afterimages are a retinal phenomenon and are well understood.[citation needed]
Contents [hide]
1 Negative afterimages
2 Afterimage on empty shape
3 Medical conditions
4 Gallery
5 See also
6 Notes
7 External links
[edit]Negative afterimages

Negative afterimages are caused when the eye's photoreceptors, primarily those known as cone cells, adapt from the overstimulation and lose sensitivity.[1] Normally the eye deals with this problem by rapidly moving small amounts (see: microsaccade), the motion later being "filtered out" so it is not noticeable. However if the color image is large enough that the small movements are not enough to change the color under one area of the retina, those cones will eventually tire or adapt and stop responding. The rod cells can also be affected by this.[citation needed]
When the eyes are then diverted to a blank space, the adapted photoreceptors send out a weak signal and those colors remain muted. However, the surrounding cones that were not being excited by that color are still "fresh", and send out a strong signal. The signal is exactly the same as if looking at the opposite color, which is how the brain interprets it.[citation needed]
"When all wavelengths stimulate the retinal region adapted to green light, the M and L cones contribute less to the resulting percept because their photopigments absorb less light than the S cones. Thus, trichromatic theory can not explain all afterimage phenomena, indicating the need for an opponent-process theory such as that articulated by Ewald Hering (1878) and further developed by Hurvich and Jameson (1957). Afterimages are the complementary hue of the adapting stimulus and trichromatic theory fails to account for this fact." (David T. Horner, Demonstrations of Color Perception and the Importance of Contours, Handbook for Teaching Introductory Psychology, Volume 2, page 217. Psychology Press, Texas, 2000)[2]
Ewald Hering explained how the brain sees afterimages, in terms of three pairs of primary colors. This opponent process theory states that the human visual system interprets color information by processing signals from cones and rods in an antagonistic manner. The opponent color theory suggests that there are three opponent channels: red versus green, blue versus yellow, and black versus white. Responses to one color of an opponent channel are antagonistic to those to the other color. Therefore, a green image will produce a magenta afterimage. The green color tires out the green photoreceptors, so they produce a weaker signal. Anything resulting in less green, is interpreted as its paired primary color, which is magenta.[citation needed]

Old 09-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Whew.. I feel better about things now.. so basically what has been seen... can't be unseen? Even when closing your eyes immediately.. Am I correct?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Forum Regular

To help the argument, here's a car that is black & white and everything in between.

Attached Images
Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by waldig
AHHHH the green shadow is an effect of Physiology. Red light by definition is . . .wait for it . . . RED.

Take a photo of this green shadow and the camera will not notice green.

This is like the persistence of vision issue where you stare at one color or dark / light shape and you see the opposite "afterimage".
Opposite afterimage, is also a cool phenomenon having to do with how we perceive light, but it is altogether different from the opposite color shadows cast by colored light. (Chromatic shadows). Look up chromatic shadows, it's pretty cool stuff. Here's a photo of what I was talking about - stolen from the internet.

Both afterimage and chromatic shadows are pretty cool though, I gotta admit.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh...Back on topic. The RUST topic that is.
Has anybody taken a close look at the underside of their pop-up spoiler lately? Specifically the drain HOLES.

Last edited by +fireamx; 09-04-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Uh...Back on topic. The RUST topic that is.
Has anybody taken a close look at the underside of their pop-up spoiler lately? Specifically the drain HOLES.
I have... mine is fine.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The top of my Pop Up Spoiler is blistering. no sign of rust on the bottom thankfully.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRQfun
The top of my Pop Up Spoiler is blistering. no sign of rust on the bottom thankfully.
My seems to be perfect...hope it stays this way.
I do give it extra attention.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I'm glad to hear that nobody's seeing any signs of a problem, wish I could say the same.
I guess Warren Smith was correct when he said, "White cars rust through the paint quicker than other colors".
Now my car has never seen winter since I purchased it new in Paducah Ky. on April 1st. 2005.
It's never been in the salt, or even close to an Ocean (except on it's trip from Germany).
My car hardly ever gets caught in the rain because I never take it out unless the weather looks good. Usually the only time it gets wet is when I wash it. My spoiler is always down because I have it switched off.
Last year while drying it off, I had the wing up and I noticed just the hint of a rust stain coming out of two of the drain holes. It wiped right off, but I figured the inside of the rear spoiler was rusting.
I thought about spraying silicone, or some type of oil based rust prevention spray inside the wing, but I was afraid it would drain out and stain the back of my hatch.
Took a real close look at it the other day and sure enough, right around one of the drain holes rust is starting to bubble up (under the paint) around the opening.
My suggestion is everybody should take a very close look at the drain holes on the underside of the wing. Use a magnifying glass if necessary.
Right now (because it's so small) I could probably just put a wire brush on my dremel and buff off the bubbled paint, and touch it up with a paint brush and it would look OK.
But how do we solve the problem inside wing? I say we, because I know there are other "alabaster" Crossfires out there.
Any suggestions?

Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 PM

All of the advice on being proactive is excellent.
However, I think it would be more than the NE. Anyone living in states that use salt to remove snow and ice need to look out for this. I major league endorser the POR15 products - used them for years. I would add that spraying a rust inhibitor INSIDE the blind box sections of the car are critical if you plan to keep the car.

Having lived near Pittsburgh PA, Queens NYC and many years in Germany - I have an idea of what corrosion can do to cars that folks who live in the south where I am now cannot relate to. We have gotten so used to working on "southern" cars that when we get one in that is from up north it is a real shock. Of course the rustiest Miata I ever worked on had spent many years in Hawaii - so folks who live near the ocean also have to beware.

Quick Reply: WOW ... stop the rust while you can ...