Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

P0410 code check engine light

Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: P0410 code check engine light

I have a p0410 code In the morning after the car has run 10 minutes when you come to a stop the secondary air pump comes on for 2 to 3 seconds goes off comes back on then off does this till you start to go again and them sets the P0410 code. I have checked the grounds and the wiring, I know it is not the RCM I have replaced this with a known good RCM does the same thing. Could this be the air pump switch over valve? I am just about to the point of taking it to Chrysler. I would appreciate any info from any one who has had a similar situation. Thank You Phil

Old 02-11-2014, 02:36 PM

wow cool what size resistor ?

Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM

same trouble 2007 crossfire. I haven't looked into anything yet to dam cold hear.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The saga continues...So I posted on this thread a couple years back. In it I happily stated that I was able to clean up the RCM relay going to the secondary injector pump and for a while it seemed to work. But then I had to continually clean the bugger as it kept getting carbon deposits in between the contacts. The frequency seemed to increase to the point I just let it sit for months at a time. Until it came time when I had to smog the vehicle then I'd do something about it. Well, I finally decided I wanted to fix this once and for all, because we are going to be trading this in here sometime soon and I'd rather not have the CEL on, you know? So I bit the bullet and bought a new RCM module, put it in and the CEL went out...for about a day. Now I am perplexed. I checked the usual stuff, wiring, vacuum hoses, etc and I for some reason decided to check the 40 amp fuse in the RCM (this goes to the pump) and lo and behold it was blown! Now I had a pretty good idea that it was the pump itself that was causing all these problems. Thinking back about it now, if the pump's going out, it's going to be drawing higher amps, drawing higher amps will cause arcing when relay contact are made. And eventually blowing fuses. Soooo, now to get a new pump. A quick check on the internet ranged from $600 to $1000, same for dealers around here (both Chrysler and MB). However, a place in China selling aftermarket pump on Amazon for $200 appealed to me. I mean, this is for something that's only going to run for 30 seconds @startup right? And if it'll just last long enough for me to get rid of the car....so I took a change and got it. I just got it yesterday and threw it in. It doesn't fit exactly like OEM in the clamp, so I had to shim it, but everything else was good. Got a new fuse and boom, works as advertise. So my wife drove it first day after and still good. I'll keep updating but so far so good.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:40 AM
Received 533 Likes on 450 Posts

O
Originally Posted by jaylogs
The saga continues...So I posted on this thread a couple years back. In it I happily stated that I was able to clean up the RCM relay going to the secondary injector pump and for a while it seemed to work. But then I had to continually clean the bugger as it kept getting carbon deposits in between the contacts. The frequency seemed to increase to the point I just let it sit for months at a time. Until it came time when I had to smog the vehicle then I'd do something about it. Well, I finally decided I wanted to fix this once and for all, because we are going to be trading this in here sometime soon and I'd rather not have the CEL on, you know? So I bit the bullet and bought a new RCM module, put it in and the CEL went out...for about a day. Now I am perplexed. I checked the usual stuff, wiring, vacuum hoses, etc and I for some reason decided to check the 40 amp fuse in the RCM (this goes to the pump) and lo and behold it was blown! Now I had a pretty good idea that it was the pump itself that was causing all these problems. Thinking back about it now, if the pump's going out, it's going to be drawing higher amps, drawing higher amps will cause arcing when relay contact are made. And eventually blowing fuses. Soooo, now to get a new pump. A quick check on the internet ranged from $600 to $1000, same for dealers around here (both Chrysler and MB). However, a place in China selling aftermarket pump on Amazon for $200 appealed to me. I mean, this is for something that's only going to run for 30 seconds @startup right? And if it'll just last long enough for me to get rid of the car....so I took a change and got it. I just got it yesterday and threw it in. It doesn't fit exactly like OEM in the clamp, so I had to shim it, but everything else was good. Got a new fuse and boom, works as advertise. So my wife drove it first day after and still good. I'll keep updating but so far so good.
There is a thread here somewhere from a MB site I added about rebuilding and repairing the pump.

Last edited by onehundred80; 02-24-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:10 AM

I have had this issue for many months with the CEL coming on for a few days and then off for the same amount of time. I noticed when CEL was on that over time the car started to stutter alot on a red light so I took it to my mechanic who cleaned all the valves related to the 2ndary air injection system.

Since then I have had no issues its been a week. However, I found a good video on youtube and went ahead and performed the soldering on the RCM just to make sure. I will keep you updated if there are any further occurrences of the p0410 code. NOTE: after doing the repair I started the car and the 2ndary air injection system was working very well and was very audible. Ill keep you posted but yeah this is a good start to try and fix the issue before spending the big bucks!!

and another

and

Old 05-06-2015, 04:21 PM

How do I reset my check engine light on my 2006 Chrysler crossfire?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:31 PM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

If you drive the car for a few days, it will reset, if the trouble that lite the light has been fixed.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by janetsordia@yahoo.com
How do I reset my check engine light on my 2006 Chrysler crossfire?
You should explain what caused the light to go on and what was done to fix the problem. Your post above gives no clue to your problem, or if it was fixed.
In the past people have responded to questions like this and then been told that their answer was wrong because they had assumed certain things had or had not been done. The replies from the OP often were not too friendly. I mostly ignore this type of question as it has happened to me. After spending considerable time on an answer and then being told you are quite wrong is a bit upsetting.

Your question last year lacked info and was ignored as well.
There were to few facts included in the post.
Hi all,
I've recently replaced all four TPS sensors and the light remains on. What is it that I need to do now?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Smile Re: P0410 code check engine light

Well my check engine light has been on for 2 wks now. I decided to go by Auto Zone so they could detect where the problem is. It showed codes P0410 and P0456 so, I bought a Smart For Two / Mercedes Vacuum Check Valve 0021408460. Now I just need to know where it's location is so I can change it out. Do you have an idea of it's location.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Well my check engine light has been on for 2 wks now. I decided to go by Auto Zone so they could detect where the problem is. It showed codes P0410 and P0456 so, I bought a Smart For Two / Mercedes Vacuum Check Valve 0021408460. Now I just need to know where it's location is so I can change it out. Do you have an idea of it's location.
The P4010 indicates a problem with the secondary air injection pump at the front of the engine - this pump runs to inject extra air into the exhaust to preheat the CATS faster. It is usually caused by broken solder connections on the Relay Control Board. In 70,000 miles, mine has done it twice. I yank the RCM and reflow solder around the (obvious to the eye) broken joints at the connector on the board and all is well for about two years, then it does it again. Happens to a lot of us.

P0456 is indication of a leak in the evaporative emissions control system (that is, the gas tank pressure test that the car does every few engine start/stop cycles.) This is most often caused by a loose or defective gas cap.

I believe the part you are referring to is a check valve used in the EGR system. But 401 and 456 are not EGR codes. I THINK my new EGR valve came with one of those already installed, but I can't say for sure and I'm 770 miles from my car. The EGR is on the passenger side of the engine in the back - remove the air intake and it's staring at you at the back of the cylinder block, atop the valve covers. There is NO mention of this part in the emissions control chapter (25) of the service manual and I notice that it is not listed as a part for the SLK320 at all. Why did you buy that part?

Last edited by pizzaguy; 05-07-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
The P4010 indicates a problem with the secondary air injection pump at the front of the engine - this pump runs to inject extra air into the exhaust to preheat the CATS faster. It is usually caused by broken solder connections on the Relay Control Board. In 70,000 miles, mine has done it twice. I yank the RCM and reflow solder around the (obvious to the eye) broken joints at the connector on the board and all is well for about two years, then it does it again. Happens to a lot of us.

P0456 is indication of a leak in the evaporative emissions control system (that is, the gas tank pressure test that the car does every few engine start/stop cycles.) This is most often caused by a loose or defective gas cap.

I believe the part you are referring to is a check valve used in the EGR system. But 401 and 456 are not EGR codes. I THINK my new EGR valve came with one of those already installed, but I can't say for sure and I'm 770 miles from my car. The EGR is on the passenger side of the engine in the back - remove the air intake and it's staring at you at the back of the cylinder block, atop the valve covers. There is NO mention of this part in the emissions control chapter (25) of the service manual and I notice that it is not listed as a part for the SLK320 at all. Why did you buy that part?
P0410 is related to the air pump, due to a sticky relay or bad grounding. If the pump is continually running due to a stuck contact then serious damage to the pump can be expected.
If the pump is not running all the time then no damage will occur, the car will run OK but you would not pass an emissions test with this fault.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ibows1
I have had this issue for many months with the CEL coming on for a few days and then off for the same amount of time. I noticed when CEL was on that over time the car started to stutter alot on a red light so I took it to my mechanic who cleaned all the valves related to the 2ndary air injection system.

Since then I have had no issues its been a week. However, I found a good video on youtube and went ahead and performed the soldering on the RCM just to make sure. I will keep you updated if there are any further occurrences of the p0410 code. NOTE: after doing the repair I started the car and the 2ndary air injection system was working very well and was very audible. Ill keep you posted but yeah this is a good start to try and fix the issue before spending the big bucks!!

DIY: RCM Repair - Mystery no start - by Paul Diguer - Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 - YouTube

and another

Mercedes Benz SLK 230 K40 Relay Fix - YouTube

and

chrysler crossfire engine stalling no start - YouTube
update to my post-So cars running very good since I did the repair even my mechanic noticed when I took it in for a general service. No p0410 code or CEL since. Hopefully this continues to be the case

Old 03-13-2019, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here: P0410. Check engine light on and off then on again. Just bought the car. The previous owner had the Secondary Air Injection Pump replaced on 02/05/19. I would take it back to the people who did the replacement but they're about 2 hours away. From what i've read here i'm guessing it's either a bad connection or a bad relay. But i sure would appreciate any input whatsoever. I really do not want to take it to a shop. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Administrator

It is almost NEVER the pump/motor itself. this is a simple DC circuit, there is nothing to it. It's the relay on the RCM or fractured solder on the RCM.
Been there, done that, 1000 times before. The End.

If you don't want to mess with it send DJ an email and he will tell you how to ship the RCM to him.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:32 AM

Four year old thread revived by someone who has started another new thread yesterday and had answers to it. More than one post does not get more answers,it leads to confusion and l for one give up answering when confusion arises. I am confused enough.
The soldering weakness is cold solder joints not fractures due to expansion, movement or whatever.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM

4 year old thread wherein I could find no post adressing this issue immediately after the pump was replaced. I thought maybe it was something super easy and simple...like the mechanice didn't plug something in correctly. This is why i started a new thread. If you can find an issue on that 4 year old post that matches mine then please share it with me...that would be helpful. Because that's what this is all about - helping people.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:02 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. Still working on it.

Old 03-16-2019, 01:41 PM

Great stuff!!! Thank you so much. Going to give it a go this weekend.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

P0410 codes are back again on my '04. However, this time there are two per the scanner: P 0410 *and* P 0410 P. Yes, there's a second code with a 'P' suffix. Does anyone have info about the meaning of the second one?

Quick Reply: P0410 code check engine light