CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Shift knob removal help? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/18470-shift-knob-removal-help.html)

blackxfire 10-08-2007 05:14 AM

Shift knob removal help?

Has anyone changed their stock automatic shift knob? Does it just twist off? I have tried to turn mine counter clockwise but it doesn't budge.

andrew 10-08-2007 05:16 AM

Re: Shift knob removal help?

Originally Posted by blackxfire
Has anyone changed their stock automatic shift knob? Does it just twist off? I have tried to turn mine counter clockwise but it doesn't budge.

remove lower collar and pull up ... hard ... it will release.

buggy4crossfires 10-08-2007 05:16 AM

Its been a while but I think there's a ring on the bottom of the knob that just unscrews and than you just pull it up. There should be a thread on here somewhere. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

blackxfire 10-08-2007 05:41 AM

Thanks guys!! I assume the screw must be on the forward edge of the bottom ring where I can't see it until I put the car in Drive. I'll check it out after it stops raining. Is there a special detent for the mounting screw or is the shaft under the ring smooth? Knew I could count on the Forum!

62thunderbird 10-08-2007 06:28 AM

1. Pull off the boot by pushing the rim to the right and lifting up.
2. Lift up the inner boot. (difficult to describe, but you'll understand when you see it).
3. Push down on a spring-loaded plastic collar. This exposes a metal pin.
4. Remove that pin and the knob and boot are disconnected.

When reassembling, make sure the plastic spring-loaded collar completely encloses the pin. otherwise the pin can (and will) work it's way out. This could make accessing reverse when you're downtown Chicago somewhat startling when the whole shebang comes off in your hand, and cab drivers are giving you the finger and the doorman is telling you to move that car or they'll call the cops.

Ask me how I know that.

blackxfire 10-08-2007 06:47 AM

I have an automatic.

Dave McGuire 11-02-2007 03:03 PM

I just ordered a replacement knob for my SRT and still can't figure out how to remove the original. Anyone have step by step directions?

SRT6 Dan 11-02-2007 03:14 PM

the bottom of the knob the last 1/2 inch unscrews, then pull uppp.

Dave McGuire 11-02-2007 03:26 PM

Thank you. For you other non DIYers, it unscrews clockwise.

CrossfireLTD 11-02-2007 07:24 PM

There is no "set /tension screw" unscrew the collar under the 'knob" itself and pull up ...hard...very hard!