Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Should I buy a Crossfire?

Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should I buy a Crossfire?

I'm in the market for a sporty used car and remembered the Crossfire. On paper it's almost everything I want in a car. Two seats, V6, rear-wheel drive, manual trans, and German built. "Perfect!" I tell myself and drive down to a convenient dealer for a test.

Well holy crap, and I do mean crap. The car I saw was used up and poorly maintained. I can forgive the car for that and look for another, but it makes me wonder what a GOOD Crossfire should be like. This one had the interior build quality of a 1970's pickup, the suspension pitched up and down like a speed boat on full throttle runs, and the shifter was SO sloppy that I could stir it in 2" circles without leaving gear (if I could find a gear).

So the questions: Is the interior of every aging Crossfire going to be like that? Can the suspension be cheaply and easily firmed up? Are all the shifters like THAT?!

Other cars I'm shopping just for comparison are the Nissan 350Z, Mini Cooper S, and Mazda RX-8.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Should I buy a Crossfire?

Originally Posted by marklein
I'm in the market for a sporty used car and remembered the Crossfire. On paper it's almost everything I want in a car. Two seats, V6, rear-wheel drive, manual trans, and German built. "Perfect!" I tell myself and drive down to a convenient dealer for a test.

Well holy crap, and I do mean crap. The car I saw was used up and poorly maintained. I can forgive the car for that and look for another, but it makes me wonder what a GOOD Crossfire should be like. This one had the interior build quality of a 1970's pickup, the suspension pitched up and down like a speed boat on full throttle runs, and the shifter was SO sloppy that I could stir it in 2" circles without leaving gear (if I could find a gear).

So the questions: Is the interior of every aging Crossfire going to be like that? Can the suspension be cheaply and easily firmed up? Are all the shifters like THAT?!

Other cars I'm shopping just for comparison are the Nissan 350Z, Mini Cooper S, and Mazda RX-8.
Your list sucks. Buy a real car and get an AMG SLK!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Sorry, I'm totally feeling like dr Jekyll or is that mr Hyde?

Where do you live would be my first question, because the members here are notorious for being incredibly nice. I'm sure someone will show you what a proper Crossfire should look like.

I'd look into the SRT if I were you. 330 Hp from Chryslerand 2k later you can make it into a rocket ship that few cars could compete with. It's amazing all on its own too though.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks dog !! for your input , anyway hello and welcome from the BlueGrass state Kentucky , I have had my Cross for six years and it still look great , AND RUN GREAT ! , The Srt 6 is good Bang for the buck if in need for speed. the Limited,s are great cars too; alot fun on Mtn. Roads . and the the people here are the best ,

Old 11-06-2011, 07:47 PM

No automatics, sorry.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM

First, read this: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ire-coupe.html

It is a recent review of my experience getting to know the XF.

The Crossfire is a little funky and different. The interior styling, for example, is kind of like a 1950s "Imagine the future" concept look. If you think you don't like it....I don't expect it would grow on you. It feels a little cheap to the touch but it isn't over time.

The first time I drove the Crossfire I was not impressed at all. After putting about 4,000 miles on it since August I've found that it is a very rewarding car that can hang through more than you might initially believe. Don't take my word for it though, according to Motor Trend it beat both the 350Z and RX-8 through the 700 ft slalom. I think the catch is that you need to be a good driver or get very used to the car. An SRT would eat them both for lunch easily.

I've had a 350Z, I have an Inifiniti FX, Crossfire and BMW Z4 now.

The Nissan drivetrain in the 350/FX is fantastic and proven to be incredibly reliable. Lot's of aftermarket parts but at the same time very common.

Unless you get a loaded up variant of the others, the Crossfire will have better options for like years.

Great choices all around: good looking, great handlers and all reliable. I suspect you would be happy with all three so perhaps choose the one that stirs your soul the most. Finally- check the insurance on them, Crossfire owners aren't typically hoons so there could be a big difference depending on your company.

Have fun- let us know what you get.

Rockster

Last edited by Rockster; 11-06-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I imagine any car can get F-U if the right person owns it.......

Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 PM

No automatics, sorry.
Ah, one of those... Let me go get Ed.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:18 PM

I'm assuming from the responses that the interior longevity will depend on the owner, fair enough. Two primary questions remain, if anybody has any input on them:

1) Can the suspension be cheaply and easily firmed up? The car I drove bobbed like a yoyo while accelerating.

2) Is the manual shifter a bowl of pudding from the factory or did the one I drove just end up like that? I couldn't handle that.

Thanks everybody!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:19 AM
Forum Regular

I tried the Crossfire in 05 and bought the 350z. If you don't like the interior of the CF I can only think you have not looked at the 350z yet. And your other choice is an RX8. My battery powered screw driver puts out more torque and can drive more before needing a rebuild.

The 350z is a fine car but many couldn't get front tires to last 10k miles and the cloth seat on the drives side will wear out faster than a rotary engine.

On the more serious side, I have owned many cars- eight with 2 seats and none were as good looking, quality built and the pleasure to drive as the CF roadster. Now go test drive one that has been properly maintained. I think you will like it.

Now if it's fun you are looking for and a good shifting stick, get a Miata third generation. I should add that I did have to add that I did have to install MazdaSpeed shocks and springs.

Last edited by arejohn; 11-07-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm assuming from the responses that the interior longevity will depend on the owner, fair enough. Two primary questions remain, if anybody has any input on them:
1) Can the suspension be cheaply and easily firmed up? The car I drove bobbed like a yoyo while accelerating.
2) Is the manual shifter a bowl of pudding from the factory or did the one I drove just end up like that? I couldn't handle that
All I can tell you is my 04 now has 66k miles on it (I bought it new) and I've never really did anything special but normal cleaning and the interior still looks good. No broken or faded plastic pieces, no unusual wear on the leather seats, door panels, or the steering wheel.
My car is a 6 speed, and the shifter still feels the same as it did when I bought it.
As for stiffining the suspension, It wouldn't surprise me if somebody with a SRT might be willing to trade springs with ya. Some people think the stiffer suspension SRT's are too severe. (But According to Road & Track magazine, the NA cars can go thru a slalom faster than the SRT) so go figure.
Deciding between a Z, RX8 or Crossfire would be a hard decission for sure. The MINI is an entirely different "animal". (Still a great ride) but just not the same "type" of car.
I'd drive all the cars for a good long ride on some really winding roads and see which one you like best.
I will say this, I've owned 25 different sports cars over the years and I currently own several fairly well respected sports cars, and since the Crossfire showed up, they've been parked.
And this weekend, while standing next to our car in a resaurant parking lot talking with our good friends (who were next to their Crossfire) a couple pulled up in a SUV and asked me "What kind of car is that"?
Ya just got to love it.

Last edited by +fireamx; 11-07-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I wish my shifter would loosen up. It's still a ***** to get into second gear. But everything else is tight at 37k miles including the front damper, shocks, etc. So someone must have beat the crap out of the one you tested. Go find a well-maintained Crossfire and you will be impressed. If not, go buy one of those Jap cars or that BMW wanna-be. Also, you either love the styling or hate it. If the latter, again pass it up.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by +fireamx
My car is a 6 speed, and the shifter still feels the same as it did when I bought it.
Which is... how??

I don't care about styling. I would drive a Pontiac Aztek if they drove like an M3.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:51 PM

Which is... how??

I don't care about styling.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:03 PM

SRT-6 springs can be had for less than $130 (or maybe free if you trade) if you want a *really* firm ride, but most people seem to find them a bit on the opposite end of harsh without aftermarket shocks.

Koni shocks aren't really cheap ($650) but they made a world of difference in the handling of my car, and they're pretty easy to install yourself (took me a few hours on a Sunday with 0 shop and 0 tools, just a driveway and a basic mechanic's set, although I am pretty handy with a wrench).

Mine was starting to feel a bit sloppy at 60k miles, and while the shocks that came out felt okay being compressed in a vise, I think they might have been getting a bit worn.

Once I fixed a few easy issues (hatch latch wrapped in electrical tape, windows adjusted), my interior is wonderful - it looks a bit chrome-y and less "expensive" than its Mercedes brother, but everything's tight and quiet, and everyone who gets in my car remarks about how nice it is inside. And my leather seats have 1 blemish on the driver's side bolster after 60k of wear - I think that's pretty darn good.

My shifter doesn't feel like "pudding" but I'll admit it's not the best shifting car I've ever had - people on MBWorld say that a better transmission fluid (Royal Purple, Red Line, or the like) helps the shift feel a lot for a few hundred bucks tops.

I'd drive all the cars you're thinking about and see what you like best, but I'd keep in mind that for the price of a used Z or Mini S, you could buy a mid-miles Limited and put a few thousand dollars into making it handle, look, and feel great.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Do you care to elaborate?

Thank you bri3d, that was helpful.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:01 PM

Do you care to elaborate?

Thank you bri3d, that was helpful.
Yes, to say you don't care about style is absolute bullshit.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:33 PM

I see. I find it remarkable that you think that you know more about my own personal preferences than I do, and I find it unlikely. What is more remarkable is that you would call a complete stranger a liar in as many words about his own opinion, and I find it offensive.

I don't believe that I will return to this forum for any more "advise", thank you.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:46 PM

I see. I find it remarkable that you think that you know more about my own personal preferences than I do, and I find it unlikely. What is more remarkable is that you would call a complete stranger a liar in as many words about his own opinion, and I find it offensive.

I don't believe that I will return to this forum for any more "advise", thank you.
Made an observation, and yes I'm saying you're a liar if you don't care about style. BTW the only other Crossfire forum that is alive (sorta) is www.Crossfireinternational.com

oh and you came seeking "advice", and you're very welcome.

Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=marklein]Which is... how??/quote]

Like a new car. No slop at all. Notchy....yes. But by no means sloppy.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a Crossfire?