CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Strange noise at 25 mph? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/26415-strange-noise-25-mph.html)

Tom1957BigT 07-19-2008 06:13 PM

Strange noise at 25 mph?

I have read various posts about a humming noise coming from the rear end and I am wondering if the noise I am hearing is similar. I own a 2005, with an automatic transmission. I hear this noise which sounds like a vibration/hum only when I am traveling around 25mph. It doesn’t happen all the time though. Is this a common problem, and is it solvable?

scott 07-19-2008 06:17 PM

Re: Strange noise at 25mph?

Could it be tyre noise?

donschorr 07-19-2008 06:19 PM

Wow,

Someone read my mind, I was going to ask the same question yesterday but did not get around to it.

I have heard the rumble also, mainly when I am accelerating 25-40 mph, low rumble sound.

I also do not hear it all of time.

I look forward to what others have to say.

Thanks
Don

+fireamx 07-19-2008 07:42 PM

I've read where several people have had their differentials replaced for various reasons. But sometimes I wonder if it's just not the normal sounds a differential makes, and because of it's close proximity to the drivers ear (about 2 ft.) that it's simply a noise we aren't use to hearing.

xfirepower 07-19-2008 09:16 PM

Re: Strange noise at 25 mph?

I also feel this slight rumble/vibration at 30-37 mph, usually when I first start out with the car. It definitely feels like its coming from the rear and first I attributed it to rough asphalt, which I was on at the time. Then it happened when I was on a smooth road. I figured it was a tire slightly unbalanced since it was so specifically happening at only that speed range. Now after reading your posts, I'm not sure. I'll definitely check it out--it doesn't seem any worse now than when I first noticed it and it's not there every time I'm travelling at 30-37 mph, but often enough. Any other suggestions?

racermp 07-19-2008 10:00 PM

low pros usually get bumpy (uneven patern on the thread) after a while and creat rumbling noises.

to verify, if its in the rear, lift up the rear end(and put it on jack stands). turn off traction control, then run the wheels around the speeds u hear noise, this will prove if the noise is from the tires or the driveline/diff/bearing, etc.

xfirepower 07-19-2008 10:04 PM

Thanks Racer!

racermp 07-19-2008 10:08 PM

no prob,

try this tho. look at the thread on the inside of the tire width. and slide the palm of your hand along the thread, around the tire, if u feel like a bumpy pattern, thats the tire u wanna replace. tires with low thread also make a womping and bumpy ride at certain low speeds

Stogey 07-20-2008 08:12 PM

Hmmmm, short wheel base car, your butt sits nearly on top of the diff, big open sound amplifier just the other side of the bulkhead, I would say a hum would be normal.
Kick up the sound system to 40 and forget about it ! :p

Just my Dos Centavos !