Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Remove windshield wipers

Old 08-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Forum Regular
Received 195 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Remove windshield wipers

I’ve.searched the Forum trying to find out if there is a special tool needed to remove windshield wipers. Trying to access the 5 drains.

thanks

Old 08-29-2020, 05:56 PM
Received 343 Likes on 303 Posts
Default Re: Remove windshield wipers

A small gear puller works best.

The following users liked this post:
roychez (09-01-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 07:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeO
I’ve.searched the Forum trying to find out if there is a special tool needed to remove windshield wipers. Trying to access the 5 drains.

thanks
I tackled the same thing for the first time last month. They were tough to get off and I don't have a gear puller like Zeracer suggested. That's the right way to do it. (I almost went and bought one.) I sprayed penetrating oil onto them very carefully...and went in for lunch. About an hour later, I pulled and gently tapped with a rubber mallet and they came off. I just tapped tapped tapped and pulled gently. There are splines on that piece that get welded together after a period of time. Might need a second soaking with a penetrating oil.
Sorry I didn't take any photographs.
My goal was to clean the drains and look at the alarm module.
Good luck with it. PM me if there's anything I can do to help.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:45 PM
Received 531 Likes on 421 Posts

Sometimes it helps to lift the wiper arm off the windshield. When the wiper arm is down on the windshield, it creates an external force on the splined mount. When the wiper arm is up, the external force is gone and the ability to loosen the mounting connection is much easier. Same holds true when putting the wiper arm back on.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:05 PM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Most wiper arms have a small hole near the pivot. Raise the arm, insert the largest drill bit that fit the hole, then let the arm rest. With tension off of the mounting, removal is easier. Also a battery terminal remover will work just as well as a small gear puller.

James

Old 08-29-2020, 09:22 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

When and if you get them off undamaged, place some white lithium grease on the knurled post before remounting them. Have taken them off without any tools since doing that AND they are easier to remount in their correct position (while testing the 'swing', and correct wiper clearance).

Old 08-31-2020, 08:11 AM
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks
Look here: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...tml#post900933

EDIT 08-31-20 - Less expensive here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiper-Arm-B....c101196.m2219

Old 08-31-2020, 09:25 AM
Forum Regular

I, too, use Meguires Ultimate Black ......works like a charm on my CRV which has black plastic (?) trim around the bottom of the whole car including bumpers. Lasts about a month before it loses its rich luster. I’ve used it on the Crossfire shroud too, but lasts much longer- probably due to being garaged.

no luck yet on previous suggestions about getting wiper arms off........WD40, rubber hammer, persistence, quality swearing, If my experienced fix-it buddy can’t separate it today, I’ll send away for the removal tool you suggested.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RED DOG
I ordered one today. Probably won't use it but once a year, but nice having one. Thanks for posting link.

Old 09-04-2020, 06:21 PM
Forum Regular

The wiper arms are off thanks to small gear puller. Removed cowl top held by (6)screws and disconnected (2) wires and cut (2) plastic ties

Found fistful of leaf debris at each end of windshield, and some semi moist debris covering drain hole......had flexible wire but didn’t seem to clear the drain. Used high speed spray on hose pointed directly at drain and after a minute or so each drain was emptying onto ground.

picture shows passenger side where a open hole exposes area of fan motor and cabin filter. I suspect the high speed car wash put enough water in that area to fill the area around a slow draining sump.....and rose enough to overflow into opening into fan motor and possibly shorted out resistor. (RockAuto ultra power RU567 #2108206210. $32.79)

second picture is something I found in area of hinge on passenger side while finger leaning the area. Anyone have an idea?

Preventative Maintenance could have taken care of this before it ruined my resistor. I doubt this area was ever fooled with. Using lithium grease on the wiper arms will make this easier next time.

Below......Looking a passenger side showing opening where fan motor is.

That OWA PE doodad was found to the right of hinge somewhere below windshield on that darker shelf

thanks for all the suggestions and help

Old 09-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Received 375 Likes on 325 Posts

"...picture is something I found in area of hinge on passenger side while finger leaning the area. Anyone have an idea?

That OWA PE doodad was found to the right of hinge somewhere below windshield on that darker shelf

thanks for all the suggestions and help

That part has been mentioned a lot here in the forum. I saved mine until someone actually finds out exactly where it came from and why it was left inside the cowling area. General consensus, it was left over from something installed from the factory like a foam protector until that part was installed.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
You need
this this
. It works like a champ and doesn't mar the wiper arm.