Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

how fast can the crossfire take a corner?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how fast can the crossfire take a corner?

i know the car is pretty unpredictable at high speed conering but whats the fastest anyone has gone into a corner? exit? or anything with a turn. i remember in my 1997 eclipse gs (dropped to the floor and it was even lower then crossfire) i could take exits off the freeway at 90mph and i mean that. no special springs just cut the stock springs with plasma cutter. but whats the "official" or "unofficial" speed of the crossfire before it breaks traction. and this could mean with traction control on or off. i already put it to the test with traction control off and it was not pretty. but any answers or comments would be appreciated and again i like my crossfire alot but my 1997 eclipse could take exits and cornering far beyond the crossfire or even any ferrari or lamborghini or any car for that matter. but i cant trust my crossfire its almost like it has a mind of its own with the traction control on and its dumb as rocks with it off so what do we do?

Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: how fast can the crossfire take a corner?

Can't give you a number, but I autocross mine and I can tell you it would be well above speed limits.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrossfire
i know the car is pretty unpredictable at high speed conering but whats the fastest anyone has gone into a corner? exit? or anything with a turn. i remember in my 1997 eclipse gs (dropped to the floor and it was even lower then crossfire) i could take exits off the freeway at 90mph and i mean that. no special springs just cut the stock springs with plasma cutter. but whats the "official" or "unofficial" speed of the crossfire before it breaks traction. and this could mean with traction control on or off. i already put it to the test with traction control off and it was not pretty. but any answers or comments would be appreciated and again i like my crossfire alot but my 1997 eclipse could take exits and cornering far beyond the crossfire or even any ferrari or lamborghini or any car for that matter. but i cant trust my crossfire its almost like it has a mind of its own with the traction control on and its dumb as rocks with it off so what do we do?
how are your tires?

i don't know an exact speed, but i take exit ramps / etc really hard sometimes, and while i scare the living @(#@# out of myself, i have never broken traction yet.. if i did i think i'd be dead!

Old 09-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you can out-corner this car with an Eclipse, you should be thinking VERY HARD about tires. I can take my buddy's Z4 around any curve or corner in town and leave him backward in a heartbeat.

This would be considered G-pad times wouldn't it?

I put on Falkens FK-452's and they are much stickier than the stock Conti's it came with.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Forum Regular

2 Different answers - Car runs on Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tires
Basis on answer - Exit ramps;
Skyline Drive - runs thru the Shenandoah Mtns in Virginia:
RT 33 - runs east to wet thru Virginia - thru both thru the Shenandoah Mts from Charlottesville to Elkton & then over the the Blue Ridge into West Virginia. Both Skyline and Rt 33 have some real nasty hair pins that are posted at 25 mph - Driving my wife's Audi A6 wagon it's a push to hit 33mph around thos curves.
1> Summer - hot over 80 - car sticks to the road! can take the posted 25 MPH at 40-45 before I chicken out - back end doesn't move off track - don't even feel that I am close to lossing the back end. Anyone that races would do much better than I do. But never lack trust in the car or tires
2> Winter - cold(cool to some) 30 to 40 degrees - summer tires do not like the cold even when warm! don't push it as hard as I do in the summer - tires too hard and get slippery - would take the 25mph curves at 35 - thats it - lack trust that the tires would hold much past that.

You can pull Skyline Drive up on a map - great drive and a ton of fun. Car handles well for what it is - but tires; skill and nerves will max make it a better car. All I have are the tires!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

The highlight of my day is taking a 25mph long sweeping corner at 50. The car will push if I go in too fast but when I get it right and can stay on the gas, I can power through the corner on the edge of traction and the car feels balanced. What a blast. One day I'll push past the limit (theres room for error) and see how the car reacts. How fast? Organ relocation fast.

Les

Old 09-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I just put on F1 GS D3's....and I own an Eclipse...restoring it for my son who will graduate next spring...I ran the crap out of that old Mitzi and so has he...there isn't even a comparison between the cars...like comparing a go-kart to a corvette...ask Jane at what speed she takes the turn at the end of the straight-away at Putnam Park...I would say around 90 going in...but that isn't the same as an exit ramp...its a right hander into another right hander....and, I love the F1's so far, they stick very well....

Old 09-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Forum Regular

I know it was a different environment but at Texas Motor Speedway, I was not even breaking a sweat at 95mph in the turns. I feel I could have went at least 110 without issue.

Steve

Old 09-25-2008, 06:56 PM

you were taking turns at 90 exit ramps at 90 in an eclipse? your ballsy!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

my old eclipse...was given to my son at 17...he managed to drive it through flooded waters, ran it 3 qts low, 1 clutch, 2 sets of brakes, 2 sets of tires, before he grew up a little and removed the ricer wing...now it just sits...so this summer, I ordered a new kit for it, side skirts, front and rear bumpers, for $500 bucks, and my friend w/ the body shop will paint the car this winter...the motor is still running fine with 90K on it...interior is on me...putting racing seats and harness in front, carpeting the rear area, roll cage isn't out of the question either...still working on that...I could have scraped her, but she deserves one more go...but, it will NOT stay up with, or corner with the SRT...not even close...

Old 09-25-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Careful taking turns on public roads because you may never know if there is something on the ground to cause you to lose control. I'm saying this from experience because it has happened in the past to me and I wound up in the field with $1800 suspension/wheel damage. There was just a little bit of gravel that caused the mishap. So from my motorcycle to car experiences, I no longer test the limits, maybe close but not close enough. Safety first....

Old 09-26-2008, 04:47 AM

i like my crossfire alot but my 1997 eclipse could take exits and cornering far beyond the crossfire or even any ferrari or lamborghini or any car for that matter
Your eclipse out handled these and you traded it?

but i cant trust my crossfire its almost like it has a mind of its own with the traction control on and its dumb as rocks with it off so what do we do?
Take her out back and put her down, she's a goner.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I can say is that thru the Hills and Dales of Central Texas this car acts like it's glued to the road bed. I've never driven a car that doesn't swing and sway into and out of a tight downhill flat curve.
I was running with a Nissan Maxima just last week thru the "Backbone" , the Maxima had a slight edge in the straights it seemed but in the twisties the Crossfire was all over his a$$ end. He kept glancing in his rear view mirror runnin outside the lanes only to see my lil red beast huggin the inside track !

Old 09-26-2008, 05:02 AM

We have some good winding mountain roads round here, the Dragon is less than 5 minutes from where I sit in my office now and we have several 'insert name here bend road" that require some high quality tires I think I love the car too much to risk losing it at 90 mph in a bend but I know I have the headroom if I need to. But why risk losing it?! That's what the track is for.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM

I've taken multiple turns that were at the limit of traction and some that weren't close, but the speeds were very high.

I took one on the beltway in Houston at 130mph. This one:

I've also taken several post 25mph exit ramps in Chicago at anywhere from 50-60mph with traction just about to break, or maybe a little bit of tire squeal. Never felt out of control though, so it was good.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
houston_map.bmp (1.08 MB, 469 views)
Old 09-26-2008, 08:31 AM

i know the car is pretty unpredictable at high speed conering
Bullshit!!

but whats the fastest anyone has gone into a corner? exit? or anything with a turn.
80 degree flat turn at 85-90mph
60 degree banked turn at 105-110mph

but my 1997 eclipse could take exits and cornering far beyond the crossfire or even any ferrari or lamborghini or any car for that matter.
Bullshit!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoronos
Bullshit!!

80 degree flat turn at 85-90mph
60 degree banked turn at 105-110mph

Bullshit!!
Lol....I think we should have a bullshit section.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by robby363
Lol....I think we should have a bullshit section.
YA THINK ??? LMAO !!!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:47 AM

lol he really likes that word. maybe thats what hes saying in that picture of his haha

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

…my 1997 eclipse could take exits and cornering far beyond the crossfire or even any ferrari or lamborghini or any car for that matter
Why are you calling BS?

…just cut the stock springs with plasma cutter..its dumb as rocks…
Making more sense now?!

Quick Reply: how fast can the crossfire take a corner?