Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Dual Side Exhaust on Crossfire

Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Side Exhaust on Crossfire

Hey Everyone,

I have an 05 Crossfire Coupe and I am looking to install a side exhaust like the one on the Mercedes SLR McLaren. It is a dual exuast the comes out just behind the front tire. I'm new to this forum so I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics so I don't have a picture of the Mercedes so please google it if you want to see what I'm talking about. My question is, does anybody know if this can be done? I think I need substantial space underneath my Crossfire as such an exhaust requires a strange exhaust pipe routing. But please message me back if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Sam

Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dual Side Exhaust on Crossfire

I don't think there's enough room in there to route the pipes through a cat and muffler/resonater and still dump out the rear portion of the front fender. While I love this look on the McLaren SLR and wouldn't mind it on my Crossfire, I just don't think it's easily accomplished.

Note I did not say it's impossible. You could always take you car to a custom fabricator and leave it with them for a few weeks, but you'd have to leave your checkbook and your first born child as well.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Why do you think the McLaren costs so much?

Old 06-11-2009, 03:59 PM

yeah but i still think it would look good i was thinking of doing this also but was looking into it more and just dont think it would look as good for how much it would cost.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by samo59
Hey Everyone,

I have an 05 Crossfire Coupe and I am looking to install a side exhaust like the one on the Mercedes SLR McLaren. It is a dual exuast the comes out just behind the front tire. I'm new to this forum so I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics so I don't have a picture of the Mercedes so please google it if you want to see what I'm talking about. My question is, does anybody know if this can be done? I think I need substantial space underneath my Crossfire as such an exhaust requires a strange exhaust pipe routing. But please message me back if you have any ideas. Thanks!

Sincerely,

Sam
I do not think it is possible, but here is the Stirling Moss edition, a little different, but you get the point...

On a normal SLR, the 2 pipes are parallel to the ground and exit just above the bottom of the body....

Old 06-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Member/Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess is that would be a 5-10k mod. The exhaust is gonna have to be custom made , then you have quite a bit of body work and I'm sure re routing of things. I think it would be very expensive. What may work a bit better would be a side pipe that comes down under/behind the side skirt and exits in front of the rear wheels through the side skirt. I would think that would be the way to go, lots cheaper. Then you have to figure out what to do with the back side because now you have a big opening where the exhaust once was.
Pat

Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always wanted 'lake pipes' (I believe this is what the cobra/viper type exhausts that exit on the side are called) on an XF, but with our ground clearence, I think it would be a serious undertaking....

Old 06-12-2009, 01:40 PM

Yea I agree with all u guys. It would be very pricey haha. Pat's idea was good with exhaust coming out from the side skirt just before the rear wheels. I think that would be easier and would give more room to route the pipes underneath.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to say (as already mentioned) a viper type exhaust would look pretty cool. Of course keep in mind that if you rerouted the exhaust the bumper would be left with a gaping hole where it originally was located. It would probably require some custom fabrication to adapt the rear bumper so it looked natural. Not to mention the obvious fabrication needed to be done to the door sills.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

There was a post on here somewhere where someone photoshopped the back end possibilities removing the exhaust. Sorry I don't know where it is. I think it involved running a diffusser(sp) across that area.
As for Cobra side pipes that was my initial thought as well, some late 60's Vettes ran that type of side pipe as well. There is also a thread on that subject where various side pipes were photo shopped onto the Crossfire. To my knowledge no one has actually done side pipes as yet.
Pat

Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 PM

Yea, those are interesting ideas. Having the pipe on the outside would look kind of wierd though don't you think. I was thinking of having the pipes underneath and then all you could see were the two exhaust tips coming out of the side skirt. You really think that an empty exhaust outlet in the rear would look that strange? I think if I added the rear air diffuser's it might balance the look. Where do you buy those anyway?

Old 06-19-2009, 05:16 PM

I'm having My exhaust redone in the next week or 2, and I'm having it run out through the side skirts, just in front of the rear tires. The mechanic I took it too, said it shouldn't be any problem.

So i'm thinking of getting dual glass packs instead of cats, 2.5inch pipes, and headers if I can find some.

Does anyone know where I can find headers for my coupe?

And how much horsepower would all this add??

Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Hey,

Could you post some pics when you're done? That sounds really cool. How much did it cost you? About the headers, I've had trouble finding some for the XFire too. With an exhaust and headers, I'm thinking you should see 20+ horsepower, but I'm not sure.

-Sam

Old 06-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Just buy that Batmobile and be done with it.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 PM

Hey,

Could you post some pics when you're done? That sounds really cool. How much did it cost you? About the headers, I've had trouble finding some for the XFire too. With an exhaust and headers, I'm thinking you should see 20+ horsepower, but I'm not sure.

-Sam

yeah sorry to say but i really dont think glass packs would sound good on a crossfire. and also about the headers you are not really going to get much of a gain out of it go to the search and look up headers or exhuast and you will find it cost alot of money and you dont get much power. just wait for tvt to get there exhuast done and get that or get borla

Old 06-20-2009, 04:16 PM

Yeah ive heard headers wont make much of a difference on this kind of car. But with a new exhaust, like a maganflow catback, you should see 15-20 horsepower gain, no?

Old 06-23-2009, 06:52 PM

yeah the machanic said if i could even find headers (which i did for around $400) they would be a huge pain in the *** to install.

so I've finally decided on 3inch pipes, and some high flow cats, while running dual tips out each side. horsepower gain will most likely be around 10, shouldn't really expect too much more. The only reason I refuse to get a Borla or Magnaflow is because everyone can buy those. This custom exhaust will be one of a kind.

thanks for the advise, ill put up pics when its all done.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by patpur
There is also a thread on that subject where various side pipes were photo shopped onto the Crossfire.
Here is the thread with the side pipes photoshopped in:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...p-request.html

Most of the picture links don't work, but scroll down and there are some pics embedded in the thread.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Yeah ive heard headers wont make much of a difference on this kind of car. But with a new exhaust, like a maganflow catback, you should see 15-20 horsepower gain, no?
Headers make a difference, but you are right...not that much of a difference.

I just don't think a magnaflow catback will gain you 15-20 hp.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM

When I saw these pictures, I recalled seeing this thread. Dummy stick-ons found on the German eBay site during one of my infrequent roamings...

Quick Reply: Dual Side Exhaust on Crossfire