Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Old 03-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

The CPS requires 2 sockets to replace. 1 socket if you do not remove the heat shield. Probably not a bad idea to carry a small tool bag with a metric/torx socket kit and a couple screw drivers etc. in the car.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Thanks mrobinso

I think you are a Godsend, this is just what the doctor order I am really really grateful I already missed one day of work, this probably saved me from having to do that again tomorrow.

Warmest regards,

tmtait

Originally Posted by mrobinso
My car: 2004 Limited, 68,500 miles

First off I would like to thank members DanielNTX and xfire2005 as well as all others who contributed to this thread:
Crankshaft Position Sensor

…for following through with their problems for all members to see by posting installation instructions, linking to other relevant forum topics, and posting helpful DIYs with photographs.

This community is a great resource and you would be hard pressed to find another auto forum on the web whose members are more willing to spend time assisting and helping others.

That being said, this thread is about the failure of my Crankshaft Position Sensor. I set up a rudimentary timeline to show you the progression of the problem.

Two weeks ago: I was driving on a local road from my office to lunch at a restaurant about five miles away. I get up to 65 mph on the local thoroughfare and my engine shuts out. At first I don’t realize what happened. All the electricity is still on, the AC is blowing warm air, and all of the dash warning lights are illuminated. However, the throttle is unresponsive and I pull over to the side of the road and flip the hazards.

I sit there on the side of the road for a minute, turn off the car completely, and then attempt to restart the car. It ignites the engine and off I go no problem?? A strange occurrence, but at the time I hoped that it was a one time event. My wishful optimism outweighed my better judgement.

Six days ago: No problems up until this point. I drive to my godmother’s house after work – no problem with the car. After dinner I start up the car and begin to drive home. Sitting at a traffic light about five miles from her house, the car completely dies.

The electricity stays on as before, dash lights, warm AC, headlights, hazards, but no response from the engine. I try to restart the car hoping it will start right back up as it did last time. No go.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When the Crankshaft Position Sensor fails, the electric ignition will turnover, and by that I mean you will hear the electric ignition trying to start the engine (a “chik chik chik” sound), but the engine won’t run. If the electric ignition turns over and the engine runs briefly but sputters out, this is not the Crankshaft Position Sensor failing!

I fiddled under the hood with the battery terminals as angry traffic passed me by. I was completely clueless and worried that the Fire was going to need a serious (and expensive) overhaul.

After fiddling for 10-15 minutes with the engine off and when I was about to give in and call AAA, I gave it one last shot. I tried to restart the car and voila! the engine rumbled to life. I was able to drive home (about six miles) with no problems.

That night in my driveway I tested the ignition several times. The engine turned over everytime.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you find yourself in a similar situation as described above, safely pull over (its even fine to leave your flashers on, they should still work!) and wait for the engine to cool off. When the Crankshaft Position Sensor fails, it is due to temperature. As the engine heats up the Sensor will RANDOMLY fail and shut down causing the engine to stall. Let the engine cool down and restart the engine.

Six Days Ago, Later That Night: As soon as I got home I immediately got on the forum and typed in “engine won’t turnover”. I stumbled across the above thread and was immediately sold that my Crankshaft Position Sensor failed. My problem sounded exactly the same.

Five Days Ago: I searched the Internet the next day for a good price on the Crankshaft Position Sensor. See list below.

Chrysler Parts Direct - Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Parts and accessories $171.60

several Mercedes parts wholesalers $110.00 average

I called several Chrysler stealerships hoping to get the part immediately for a price reasonably above the wholesale price.

I was quoted between $220 and $250 JUST FOR THE PART!!

No thank you I said.

IMPORTANT NOTE: After Googling SLK320 Crankshaft Position Sensor I found the legitimte BOSCH replacement part…

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

$42.96! I paid $20.00 for express shipping and had the part in two days.

Even the Autohaus Arizona (the company I ordered from) was fooled by the trickery of the Chrysler Crossfire’s origins. I order the Crankshaft Position Sensor for a 2004 SLK320 and received the OEM Bosch part for just $42.96. However if you search for a 2004 Chrysler Crossfire Crankshaft Position Sensor you will come up with a Vemo brand replica part for $62. (However I just looked and there is no longer any part available for the Crossfire).

Two Days Ago: I installed the Crankshaft Position Sensor this past weekend. It should have taken me twenty minutes with the right tools. However, it took me four hours of driving around picking up the proper socket.

Tools you will need:

Shop lamp or flashlight (this will seriously decrease time spent trying to find the bolt on the sensor)
Ľ 12 pt. or ‘star’ socket.
An 8 inch or longer rachet or socket screwdriver (I bought an extension for my ratchet set to reach down to the bolt)
New Crankshaft Position Sensor
Straight Needle-nose pliers (to pull out and insert the old/new sensor)

1) Lift off the engine cover (just pull up in the corners and at the sides)

2) I placed my shop lamp on the ledge that is positioned at the base of the windshield. It is where the vents for the AC unit are.

3) See the pictures here:

from where the Sensor is located in the read of the engine.

4) First you must remove the electrical plug. On the upside of the sensor there is a clip. I spent 20 minutes trying to unclip this from the wrong end… There is a lip on the clip that is closest to the plug on the Sensor. Run your finger to the opposite end away from that lip and press down HARD with your pointer finger. Simultaneously pull up on the lip of the clip with your thumb. If you press down hard enough the lip should pop up enough for you to pull it free.

5) Once you free the clip the electrical plug should be loose. Pull it out and push it and the wire to the side.

6) Now use the Ľ 12 pt. socket and the extended ratchet or screwdriver to undo the bolt. The bolt is on the lower side of the sensor. Without a light its almost impossible to see as the angle is bad. Use the ratchet to initially loosen the bolt. Use the screwdriver to remove the bolt. Be careful not to bump the screwdriver on anything as you pull it out with the bolt still loosely in the socket. The screw could easily fall into the abyss of the engine bay.

7) Use the straight needle-nose pliers to clamp on the side of the old Sensor and pull out. Change direction of the pressure (up-down, left-right) until the Sensor slides out.

8) Hold the NEW Sensor with the pliers and reinsert it into the hole where the old part was.

9) Place the screw back in the way it came out, making sure not to bump into anything with the wrench on the way down as the screw will pop out and fall. I ended up placing the screw in the hole in the sensor as I inserted the sensor so that it was positioned correctly over the bolt hole.

10) Plug in the electrical plug. PUSH DOWN HARD. If you don’t push down hard enough it may feel like the plug is in all the way but it is not. Feel the clip you unclipped earlier clip to be sure its in all the way.

11) Test the engine before you close up the engine cover! If the engine clicks and dies (which it did for me – ouch) you didn’t press the electrical plug back into the sensor firmly enough. Do this and the car will work like a charm.

So far no problems! Its only been a few days but I will follow up on this thread if anything changes!

If it hadn’t been for the CrossfireForum I would have spent untold money and time trying to get the car serviced at a dealership. And even then it is unlikely I would have gotten down to this solution.

I hope this DIY can help someone who is an amateur mechanic like myself do this repair themselves!

Best of luck and enjoy.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

I see that some people are replacing the CPS when they are having no problems with the one they have in the car at the moment. I think that this is a waste of time, if it ain't broke don't fix it is the old saying. If these were frequently failing it may be a good idea, but we only read these parts mentioned when they do fail. What is to say you are replacing a part that is going to fail soon with a part that will last longer, nothing. Parts like this have a potential to fail after x amount of use and or time, but a small number will fail much sooner, others will not fail during the lifetime of the car.
So why replace a functioning part with a part that may fail next week? Carry the part and tools to replace it in the car by all means but do not bother to change it now.
I had the CPS fail in a Concorde after 30,000 miles, its replacement went to the wreckers 100,000+ miles later. I put 140,000 miles on my LHS and never thought about the CPS.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Default Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sen

I just had this problem as well. I drove my car to the gym and when I was finished there, the XF wouldn't start... Just like every other XF with this problem, it would crank and crank but not ignite. I waited about 15 minutes, and it started right up, only to die a couple lights down the road. Luckily she started again before the light turned green or that would have been embarrassing! The check engine light turned on at that point.

Anyways, I looked up the problem when I got home and came across this post. I purchased the crank shaft position sensor immediately on ebay for $45 (free shipping) and it came in about four days.

BTW some users mentioned that a 1/4 12pt socket (star) is required. This is true. However a 1/4 6pt socket will work as well, as long as the bolt isn't screwed in too tight.

Also, some users might have trouble disconnecting the wire from the sensor. Look at how some of the wires connected to where the spark plugs are. These clips are the same design as the one used to hold the wire to the sensor. Just push down on the near side of the clip, and the opposite side will rise up.

After some stretching to get my body to contort into the awkward position required to unscrew the bolt, I replaced the sensor and she's running like a champ again. Thank you to everybody who posted helpful comments on this problem!

Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 PM

I had the same problem.
Drove the Crossfire to the gas station to fill up the tank on my way to work and when I got back in the car to try to leave the engine would turn but the car would not start up almost like if I was out of gas .. HA! .. with a full tank .. I put it in N and pushed it to the side I sat there for about 30 mins and tried to start it again and it started right up but at the same time the CHECK ENGINE light came on so I called a tow truck and towed to my mechanic knowing it would probably die on me along the road if I tried to drive it .. so I didnt risk it and got towed.. since before buying the crossfire I had been around this forum looking at problems others had with this car so I could not be in the dark if I ever ran into such a problem so I had the Crank sensor already in mind and its symptoms of a bad one.
I had purchased a Crank sensor 2 months before and I just had it sitting at home for when mine went out .. and today was the day So I had my mechanic change it.. he charged me 35 bucks and took about 25 minutes and the Crossfire was up and running like new! fyi: The code my mechanic pulled for the check engine that came on after it stalled at the gas station was 0335 which is in fact BAD CRANKSHAT SENSOR hope this helps guys.

Thanks for all the help to all those that spend some time here sharing!

Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Cool Re: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor

Many thanks for posting this you have saved me a lot of money....

Mine decided to pack in last night in -4 conditions (bang on 40,050miles), but I managed to get home after waiting for it to cool for an hour.

For anybody who is over in the UK, you can get the part from Euro Car Parts for Ł40 and fit it easily yourself. A magnetic bar is a must, otherwise you'll be swearing a lot whilst trying to fish the bolt out.

Took all of 10 minutes to fit, thanks to the pictures posted up earlier.

Same details for the part over here - 2004 SLK 320 Part no. 003 153 27 28 and star socket set Ł9 from Machine Mart.

Chrysler part cost Ł95 and if you pay for the stealer's to do it add Ł140 + vat.... bloody rip off...

Thanks once again.....

Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Thank you thank you a life saver

Old 02-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Ha. Had this problem over the weekend @ 82,000 miles. Man i love this forum. Thanks for the procedure. Just waiting for my part to get in. Again, thanks!

BTW the 1/4" drive E-8 star socket works best

Edit: 30 mins done myself. Mechanic wanted to charge me $150 to do it.... Ha they said it was "hard" to do. Crock.

Last edited by 04FIRESTOCK; 03-02-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 AM

it seems to do it at traffic lights bc it happened to me at a traffic light im going to get my car back from the dealer and do it myself if my warranty dosent cover it

Last edited by bionicdriver; 08-01-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Default Thank you

Thanks very much for the description of the crankshaft sensor replacement. I just did my Xfire today with your article at hand and it was very helpful! I think I could do it in five minutes if I had to do it again. Anyway, I thank you.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Thank you

Originally Posted by robertms49
Thanks very much for the description of the crankshaft sensor replacement. I just did my Xfire today with your article at hand and it was very helpful! I think I could do it in five minutes if I had to do it again. Anyway, I thank you.
Glad it could help! This forum is great in that way, I was just trying to do my part and contribute to the collective knowledge base.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:47 PM

This information was INVALUABLE

My car died in my driveway when I got home from work yesterday. This forum made it extremely easy to find the information I needed quickly. I had the parts and tools in hand and my car fixed the very next day. I am no mechanic, but doing this was way better than paying the stealership, definitely worth doing it myself.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Forum Regular

Here's a thought...for all those times you get great information...join the CICCI. Becoming a member will only make yourself a better Crossfire Owner. OK, it doesn't hurt....

Kj

Old 02-03-2012, 11:49 AM

Oh, I am so filled with hope that this will solve my problem. Had the same stalling-out-at-red-lights issue so I went to the dealership (new in town and thought it was under warranty). No warranty and they want to charge me $430 to replace the "crank sensor" which I assume is the same thing as is described here? If so, one question: do these parts vary by year/model/etc.? I see that the OP referred to Googling a "SLK320 Crankshaft Position Sensor" for his 2004 Limited. Mine is an '04 standard coupe - would that make a difference?

I have been checking out this forum for years but never tried to do a repair for myself before. This time I think the dealer went too far and I have no good local mechanic, so . . . here goes? Thanks a ton for any and all advice! (And if you're so inclined, I am going to post some related questions in the appropriate fora, and would love any help I can get - air filter, hood prop, and air filter all apparently need replacing, as does some tire suspension part whose name I've forgotten).

Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 AM

Kristaplatypus:

That is correct, the Crank sensor is the same for your 04 Standard Coupe
you can buy the part for 43.46$ at the link below as suggested on page 1 of this post but this post is a bit old and prices have gone down on SOME items at local car part stores, youre better off buying it at the local car part stores like autozone, advanced autoparts etc and just ask for the crankshaft sensor for an 04 chrysler crossfire it will run you about the same as buying it online. a few months ago buying it online would save you a good 10 - 12 bucks! But not anymore.

Old Online Buying link from page 1

Its a medium job to do and any mechanic (non dealer) should charge you less then 50$ to do it. Mine charged me 35$ Just ask ahead of time and be specific about what you want done. HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE TO REPLACE THE CRANK SHAFT SENSOR? to the point! otherwise theyll assume you dont have a clue of whats wrong with the car and theyll try to milk you for your $$ if they quote you more than 50$ go on to the next one.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by BenzFire
Kristaplatypus:

That is correct, the Crank sensor is the same for your 04 Standard Coupe
you can buy the part for 43.46$ at the link below as suggested on page 1 of this post but this post is a bit old and prices have gone down on SOME items at local car part stores, youre better off buying it at the local car part stores like autozone, advanced autoparts etc and just ask for the crankshaft sensor for an 04 chrysler crossfire it will run you about the same as buying it online. a few months ago buying it online would save you a good 10 - 12 bucks! But not anymore.

Old Online Buying link from page 1

Its a medium job to do and any mechanic (non dealer) should charge you less then 50$ to do it. Mine charged me 35$ Just ask ahead of time and be specific about what you want done. HOW MUCH DO YOU CHARGE TO REPLACE THE CRANK SHAFT SENSOR? to the point! otherwise theyll assume you dont have a clue of whats wrong with the car and theyll try to milk you for your $$ if they quote you more than 50$ go on to the next one.

Good luck!
Do not buy a cheap part, buy a Bosch part.

Some cheap parts, notably crank shaft sensors have been faulty when received. These were probably made in China.

Motto: Buy Bosch or walk home.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting the job done for for just under $100 (parts, labor, and tax), thanks to all the helpful advice I got here - much better than the $430+ quote from the dealer.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, this saved me time/money as well. OP you're a credit to the internet.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Hey guys. I'm new here. What a great forum. I hope the site can help me out. My car is having these symptoms as well. My question is: How can I tell whether I need to resolder connections on my RCM or if I need to replace the CPS? Car dies randomly, going down the street, intersection, won't restart at gas station, etc. Last night I waited over 30 minutes and my car still wouldn't restart. If the car is moving, I can drop it in an appropriate gear and it starts right back up. However the engine does not turn over at all even though other electrical appears fine.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it cranks over and wont start.... it is likely the CPS... you should get a CEL with a P0335 code also...

It it wont crank over then it is likely the RCM....

Quick Reply: A potential nightmare averted… thank you Crossfire Forum! Crankshaft Position Sensor