Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Slight moment of HUMMM when driving...

Old 10-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight moment of HUMMM when driving...

Well, I drive my '05 twice per week (usually on weekends) and on two occasions, I've noticed after backing out of the garage and then heading forward, there appears to be a slight humming sound that lasts for about 3-4 seconds and then goes away. The sound resembles the humming sound you hear whenever you travel across a bridge that has steel grating plates to drive on. The tires are the original Conti's with only 4800 miles on them. The car continues to run perfectly with no problems, but would love to know if other XFers have had the similar concern.

Thanks!

Monty

Old 10-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Received 506 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Re: Slight moment of HUMMM when driving.....

It's a Zen thing

I often get the same sound when I drive my Crossfire. First, I get the rush of 1st, 2nd and third gear, full throttle down the entrance ramp. Then I get the perma grin.
And then I get the HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Very Zen.

roadster with a stick

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think I know what you are talking about. It happens to me too! It comes from the engine area and lasts a few seconds.... almost sounds like something turned on and off. I think the interior dash lights get brighter too. I never bothered to investigate... it has been doing it for 4 years.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

My wife has found the perfect solution to all these problems of noise from the car, she turns up the radio. This solution cost me one ruined Mustang differential, initially a bearing was worn out but she turned up the radio until it was screaming. Upon being asked why she never mentioned the noise, she replied "I forgot".
She also forgot to tell me that the the same car was producing less and less power as a result of the worn timing chain jumping camshaft teeth, 30 mph with her foot to the floor was the worst it got until eight pistons going up met eight valves coming down.
She does not drive the Xfire as she cannot drive stick shift and I have no intentions of teaching her, you know why.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
She does not drive the Xfire as she cannot drive stick shift and I have no intentions of teaching her, you know why.
My wife will never drive my Xfire either because she does not know how to drive a stick shift! I will not teach her either... not on my clutch!

I don't ignore noises.... just certain noises. Sometimes noises are normal and will do no harm. My dad has an old Bronco that made a certain engine noise when he bought it new. He went crazy trying to pinpoint it and fix it. Never got rid of the noise. The car is still running with almost 200k miles. The body is rusting and it is falling apart but the engine is still strong!