Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Newb buying at auction.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb buying at auction.

Greetings folks! I'm looking into buying a car, and came across an auction. I'm really not sure about this method of buying. Can any of you folks share any car auction experiences? Whether good or bad, I'd like to hear/read from you.

Another thing, I've noticed some vehicles have rebuilt/salvage titles, is there any big deal buying one of those?

http://easyexport.us/carfinder/vehic...=4c054bdec9d5b

What do you folks think of it?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: Newb buying at auction.

If you got it for less than 4k I would buy it and part it out. I would not buy a flood salvage with the hopes of fixing it up. There is way too much that could be wrong with it. I would buy it and sell the seats, doors, fenders, hood, trim, wheels, trunk lid etc..

Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Received 195 Likes on 150 Posts

rebuilt/salvage titles means the car was totaled and can not be insured again,, yes you can get liability ins but that is it. the only way i would buy a rebuilt/salvage title is for the car to be a trailered race car only. call your ins co to conferm,,, each state may be different. jim

Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are planning on keeping this car----DO NOT BUY!!!! REPEAT----DO NOT BUY!!!! I owned a repair shop and have seen nightmares with flood cars. There are TOO many electrical parts; it is just a matter of time before problems occur, and when they start, they NEVER end. So, by the time you "fix" all the problems, assuming that you can, you will be over the cost of a non flood car!!! DO NOT BUY---not a deal; it's trouble!!!! Now for a parts car---maybe. Again, forget the electrical ones; they will be hit or miss at best. We can help with a "GOOD" car at a "GREAT" price---that's a deal---not some "pig-in-a-poke."

Last edited by JimmyJames; 06-22-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

Do not buy flooded total !!! Nightmare in progress !!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

well, everyone above has told you "NO"....so here I am, about to tell you, from my years of experience, and from being around cars my whole life, the following............."NO"...........why do you think they are selling....at that price....lol....

Old 06-24-2010, 11:25 AM

Being it's listed location is Nashville I'm going to assume it was flooded in our recent flooding disaster... there was A LOT of water in this flood! There were places where cars completely disappeared under water and others were well up to the roofline. The water levels stood for several days so this beauty could've sat covered in murky, muddy water for a while. Definitly not something I'd ever consider calling my new ride... ever. You'll be dealing with rust, electrical, and who knows what else very soon with this one.

If you can get it less than 4K you could potentially make some decent $ off the parts. I may have to take a look at it myself for some spare components to have on hand.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
rebuilt/salvage titles means the car was totaled and can not be insured again,, yes you can get liability ins but that is it. the only way i would buy a rebuilt/salvage title is for the car to be a trailered race car only. call your ins co to conferm,,, each state may be different. jim
Absolutely false about insurance. I have had several "R" title vehicles with full coverage on them.

You need to look at the car to see how deep the water got, and go from there. Sometimes insurance companies will total all cars in an area where a heavy storm hit, and there may be nothing wrong with it. The ODO being lit up is a good sign.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Senior Member/Moderator

We have a fleet of nuns up in PA and some of their cars got in a flood. Being nuns the "red one" and the "blue one etc" run just fine, we don't think we'll file a claim. About 6 months later the electrical system in the cars said otherwise. You wanna buy a "flood car" make sure you replace all the electrics because in time you will have issues.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by prostock
Absolutely false about insurance. I have had several "R" title vehicles with full coverage on them.

You need to look at the car to see how deep the water got, and go from there. Sometimes insurance companies will total all cars in an area where a heavy storm hit, and there may be nothing wrong with it. The ODO being lit up is a good sign.
1.) He did state it could be different from state to state, and in Texas he is 100% correct. You can only get liability coverage on a salvage title in Texas.

2.) The ODO being lit up is fine. The fact it is covered in what apprears to be river residue is not so good.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:39 PM
AlG
Forum Regular

Could probably sell the top alone for $1000. But you can see the mud on the odo. Who knows how much water got into the oil and if the car had been started the engine could be all scored on the inside. And the tranny might not be much better.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A newly registered member makes one post with a link to a commercial auction site asking about buying at auction and then doesn't follow up on any of the comments. Spam?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob M
A newly registered member makes one post with a link to a commercial auction site asking about buying at auction and then doesn't follow up on any of the comments. Spam?
It has happened several times lately. New name, new post about auctions:

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-vehicles.html

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ions-work.html

The moderators need to check the IP address. FP?