CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   driver seat.... (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/4442-driver-seat.html)

andrew 03-27-2004 10:56 AM

driver seat....

does anyone else have this problem with their driver seat material?

the lower part of the driver seat...between your legs...the center insert section is baggy (for lack of better terms). the material seems loose. :(

houstondan 03-27-2004 11:06 AM

Re: driver seat....

Originally Posted by andrew
does anyone else have this problem with their driver seat material?

the lower part of the driver seat...between your legs...the center insert section is baggy (for lack of better terms). the material seems loose. :(

that's been mentioned here a couple of times. mine is maybe a little baggy. so is the car seat.

from what has been said here, the attitude of the maker is that that's the way mercedes makes their seats and it's just fine.

dan

lordpercy 03-27-2004 12:46 PM

I've driven mercs and after 100k miles the seats are not baggy, these are not Merc seats they are chrysler and it shows! I will not be taking that as an acceptable answer when my xfire goes in for service in the next week or so.

David Burns 03-27-2004 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by lordpercy
I've driven mercs and after 100k miles the seats are not baggy, these are not Merc seats they are chrysler and it shows! I will not be taking that as an acceptable answer when my xfire goes in for service in the next week or so.

Hmmm... did you notice the "baggy" seats in the 2005 SLK-320 preview pic I posted?

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtes...lk.int.500.jpg

Rob M 03-27-2004 02:19 PM

my seats aren't "baggy" but i would agree that the seating surface is looser than many other cars. so far i'm very pleased with the leather seats. from a design standpoint, it probably makes sense that the leather isn't that tight. leather shrinks as it ages. i've seen examples of tight leather seats that end up with tears along the seams or lots of cracking where the leather creases. the crossfire's seats aren't forming any creases because the leather isn't stressed as much as a seat where the leather has been stretched for a tighter fit. i would expect that down the road there will be some crossfire owners that will complain about bolster wear from ingress/egress difficulty, but that is an inherent issue with all low-slung cars.

i noticed in the owner's manual that chysler makes no recommendations for conditioning the leather. maybe the seats are designed such that even if they are neglected for the life of the car, and shrink considerably, that they will resist significant tears or cracking. just a thought. however, i still plan to treat mine with lexol several times a year

lordpercy 03-27-2004 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns

Originally Posted by lordpercy

Hmmm... did you notice the "baggy" seats in the 2005 SLK-320 preview pic I posted?

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtes...lk.int.500.jpg

I did and BMW have the same but they are baggy on day 1 a design if you like, the xfire is taught and then with age (not much age) it gets loose and doesn't look good. A friend has a Z4 and that has these seats they are very differnet to my baggy drivers seat

crossfiretech 03-27-2004 06:12 PM

The floor mats are german....I'm assuming the seats are also.

houstondan 03-27-2004 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by crossfiretech
The floor mats are german....I'm assuming the seats are also.

since day 1, they've told the press that the seats are mercedes. they are.

if anything, they've tended to claim more chrysler particpation than is true. if you look at your big window sticker (usa only) it reports, among the alleged mileage etc:

parts content information: us/canadian parts content: 1%

major source of foreign parts content: germany:80%

merc uses non-german parts.

best i can tell, the 1% chrysler participation is the owners manual.

dan

David Burns 03-27-2004 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by houstondan
best i can tell, the 1% chrysler participation is the owners manual.

err... I was thinking the 1% was the Chrysler badges on the nose and tail...

crossfiretech 03-28-2004 05:18 AM

Badges are probably made in Mexico.

houstondan 03-28-2004 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by crossfiretech
Badges are probably made in Mexico.

(lord, please forgive me for what i am about to do............. :twisted:)

mexico? badges? they don't need no sinkin badges!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, i'll go away quietly.

dan