CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   How do I remove the rearview mirror??? (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/44851-how-do-i-remove-rearview-mirror.html)

yodaforce 08-27-2010 10:55 PM

How do I remove the rearview mirror???

I've searched and found nothing. In the process of trying to remove it, I have successfully broken off a chunk of glass which is still attached to the mirror. Not really a huge deal because I have someone coming over to replace the windshield, but now I need to disconnect the piece that is apparently glued to the glass. I saw where someone said "turn it 45 degrees" to remove it. Well, that's how I broke the chunk of glass off, prying and twisting.

tighed1 08-27-2010 11:55 PM

Re: How do I remove the rearview mirror????

If it's like most mirrors there's a set screw that holds the mirror assembly to the piece that "was"attached to the glass.

If all else fails, use the force!

Joliet John 08-28-2010 12:49 AM

You're an animal Yoda. Ever rip out a set of lugs trying to get a wheel off?? :D

waldig 08-28-2010 06:17 AM

Fastest way for me would be a sapling about 3". Woody
;)

yodaforce 08-28-2010 09:06 AM

Re: How do I remove the rearview mirror???

Funny guys.

There is no set screw. Now that the mirror is dangling, I can see clearly into the hole, and there isn't anything in there. It's crazy!

You know out of everyone on here that has had a windshield replaced (which is quite a few judging from all of the searching I did), did noone actually hang out and watch the work get done?

onehundred80 08-28-2010 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by yodaforce
Funny guys.

There is no set screw. Now that the mirror is dangling, I can see clearly into the hole, and there isn't anything in there. It's crazy!

You know out of everyone on here that has had a windshield replaced (which is quite a few judging from all of the searching I did), did noone actually hang out and watch the work get done?

Bluecoupe said it just pops out with a bit of force. There are no screws. This was mentioned in a post previously.

bluecoupe 08-28-2010 11:08 AM

Yup no set screw. I have a steel punch the same dia. as the hole in the bottom of the mirror mount. Just turn the mount counterclockwise 45 degrees and it comes off. Reverse to install.

yodaforce 08-28-2010 11:45 AM

Well I wonder why it was so dang hard to turn and just "pop off". I guess I'll have to try the same method now to get the huge chunk of windsheild off of it without cutting my hand off.

bluecoupe 08-28-2010 01:26 PM

I've purchased 2 OEM mirrors with the mount still attached. On one of them I epoxied the mount to a flat bar and let dry overnight. Next morning I clamped the bar down and turned the mirror mount using the round punch. On the other mirror I simply grabbed the sides of the mirror mount using needle nose vice grips and turned the mount with the round punch. Good luck!

SNAKEWOLF 08-28-2010 02:52 PM

It Is In Service Manual 8n-68

Good Luck

yodaforce 08-28-2010 05:49 PM

Got it. Sure do not know why it wouldn't come off while it was glued to the windshield. Had to muscle it with some channel locks and finally it twisted off. It went on the new windshield really easy. I kind of wonder if there was some kind of adhesive from someone else before I got the car. Oh well. It is true, and verified now that you have to twist it to remove it.

04Crosfire 06-29-2017 10:06 PM

Hi, I realize that this thread is nearly 7 years old, but I just recently purchased a Crossfire that needs the rear view mirror replaced, but it is the "auto dimming" type, and I didn't see any posts about how/where the wiring harness is located, and how exactly to remove & replace this type of mirror. Any help?

Steve Jr 06-29-2017 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 04Crosfire (Post 889820)
Hi, I realize that this thread is nearly 7 years old, but I just recently purchased a Crossfire that needs the rear view mirror replaced, but it is the "auto dimming" type, and I didn't see any posts about how/where the wiring harness is located, and how exactly to remove & replace this type of mirror. Any help?

Disconnect battery
Insert a 5 mm rod into the hole on the windshield side an turn 90°, left or right.
Remove the interior light.
Disconnect the harness.
Feed the harness into the opening in the headliner an remove the mirror.

onehundred80 06-30-2017 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 04Crosfire (Post 889820)

It is all shown here CLICK. It even has pictures.

pizzaguy 06-30-2017 12:20 PM

The mod, over eight years and three Crossfires - that I never thought of doing.

ala_xfire 06-30-2017 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 889835)

One of the first mods I did. I have never regretted it.

onehundred80 06-30-2017 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy (Post 889835)

That follows the philosophy of your family's excellent motto 'Never look back'.

Mrmiata 06-30-2017 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80 (Post 889858)
That follows the philosophy of your family's excellent motto 'Never look back'.

Played at all his family reunions ..

BisB 05-17-2018 06:18 AM

How does one tighten the mirror to the windshield mount? It is still "attached" but wobbles.

ala_xfire 05-17-2018 07:01 AM

See the hole in the mirror mount ?
You put the largest Allen wrench that will fit in it and turn 90 degrees either way, that will remove the mirror.
Then you tighten up the spring mount.
Reverse for re installation.