CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Tips for driving a manual in a crossfire (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/46362-tips-driving-manual-crossfire.html)

bionicdriver 11-06-2010 11:05 PM

Tips for driving a manual in a crossfire

i need tips about shifting in this car. I didnt know how to drive a stick shift and i bought a crossfire from tulsa oklahoma drove it to nashville tn no major concern i knew how to upshift but its the downshifting im not so sure about on this car can anyone help as far as how to downshift selecting which gears etc I mean this car is not a normal 5 speed passenger car its a sports car and to think that i didnt know how to drive a stick shift and drove it over 700 miles from tulsa to nashville without an accident is a start lol but im trying to catch where the gears reaches its rpms smoothly and not jerk the car both via downshifting and upshifting but like you said practice practice practice ill take all of your tips generously and report back in about a week or 2 normally i put the car in neutral roll to a stop then gear it back into gear depending on the speed but slowly im learning to go from 6th gear to 4th gear downshifting without that jerk

pizzaguy 11-06-2010 11:19 PM

Re: Tips for driving a manual in a crossfire

In the next few weeks, I hope to own a Crossire with a stick, I'll get back to you then!

But for now, I'd say you certainly want to keep the tack above 2,000 if you are pulling or accelerating.

spikehound 11-07-2010 12:11 AM

Personally, I don't downshift as its more stress on the clutch than necessary and brakes are there for a reason. I just leave the car in the gear it's in until just before I come to a stop.

Chris L. 11-07-2010 05:56 AM

1st goes up to 31mph, 2nd = 52, 3rd = 80, 4th = 110, 5th = 137, 6th = 151.

Keep the revs up between downshifts ....i.e., keep your foot on the gas!! If you let the rpms drop & don't try to rev-match.....you'll get a clunking effect.

This is not so true if your purpose of downshifting is to slow down.

If you're going down the interstate in 6th gear at 70 mph (which is about 2500 rpms as I remember) & you want to get on it....you can keep your foot on the gas & drop down to 5th.....even 4th if you're looking for max acceleration. Me personally, if I'm preparing to get on it I drop down to 5th (giving enough gas to maintain the current speed) ...then drop to 4th ..actually increasing the gas (flooring it) before this shift is completed. (I don't think anyone would recommend going down to 3rd at 70...you would have to have the rpms > 5K & there just wouldn't be enough mph to gain by that).
With your foot pretty much to the floor in 4th you'll be approaching 110 within a few seconds.....keep your foot on the gas & hit 5th......5th will take you to 137 & almost anyone that you were playing with will have decided you're insane & will have stopped playing.

Done properly, the time from first hitting 4th (70mph) to hitting 5th (110mph) will be about 10 seconds.

Actually, even when you're upshifting you can get a clunk if you don't keep the rpms up between shifts.

Another favorite ....we have access to the 435 loop around KC about a mile from my house, there's a stop sign about a quarter mile from this 90 degree turn onto the access. Goobers speed up & then have to apply their brakes making the turn onto the access.....this doesn't make sense to me! So, some goober will always dog my *** & I'm down shifting to 2nd rather than applying my brakes like they are doing ....a few seconds later I'm a half mile away & they are trying to recover from almost rolling over making the turn. Love it!

I never power shift to 1st gear.....I've never downshifted to 1st above 5-10 mph.....no guts I guess.

ZeroZero 11-07-2010 06:21 AM

Hi bionicdriver

Well Driving a manual gearbox , you can use the gears to slow the car down along with the brakes , The main reason i like using the gears to help slow the car is that this means you are in the correct gear when you start to accelerate ie you are coming up to a corner/traffic lights you come off the brakes & back on the gas & if your in the right gear your pickup will be smoother & quick ;) .

My wife has just pass her driving test about one year ago & the way she was shown was just to use the brakes & not he gears ,The reason being that brake parts are cheaper to replace than the clutch & gearbox .

I see it this way you can brake later with help from the gears ( ,you can accelerate away faster , you are connected with the car & not just driving , I do not at the moment drive a manual car :( . As i have moved to a SLK55 AMG (auto only) & sometimes i feel like there is something missing & you do not feel like your completely in control

Cheers

Andy

P.s only use first gear on hills .

PP.S please do not keep your foot down on the gas between gear changes (thats accelerating or slowing down) .
it should be a rocking movement , When the clutch is going down your coming off the gas & when the clutch is coming up your going back on the gas ,Its all in the timing you will not get it right 100% of the time (unless you a pro driver).

oledoc2u 11-07-2010 08:23 AM

wow.....I am now pushing 2.8 million miles stick shifting and I can only tell you this....practice my friend...I have trained truck drivers on and off for years, same goes for motorcycles, and cars.....everyone has an opinion...but, not downshifting thinking you are putting less pressure on the clutch and drive train isn't always true...point here is not to "lug" the engine...a point where the car seems to shake....there certainly isn't a problem for using the gears to slow the car if done without slamming a gear, but done smoothly....it's one of those things that has to be hands on to me, it's hard to explain to someone on here how to drive a stick....come to one of the many meets and greets and everyone there will be willing to give you some in the cockpit pointers....

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:20 AM

Excellent advice i cant thank you enough

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
wow.....I am now pushing 2.8 million miles stick shifting and I can only tell you this....practice my friend...I have trained truck drivers on and off for years, same goes for motorcycles, and cars.....everyone has an opinion...but, not downshifting thinking you are putting less pressure on the clutch and drive train isn't always true...point here is not to "lug" the engine...a point where the car seems to shake....there certainly isn't a problem for using the gears to slow the car if done without slamming a gear, but done smoothly....it's one of those things that has to be hands on to me, it's hard to explain to someone on here how to drive a stick....come to one of the many meets and greets and everyone there will be willing to give you some in the cockpit pointers....

I mean this car is not a normal 5 speed passenger car its a sports car and to think that i didnt know how to drive a stick shift and drove it over 700 miles from tulsa to nashville without an accident is a start lol but im trying to catch where the gears reaches its rpms smoothly and not jerk the car both via downshifting and upshifting but like you said practice practice practice ill take all of your tips generously and report back in about a week or 2

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
In the next few weeks, I hope to own a Crossire with a stick, I'll get back to you then!

But for now, I'd say you certainly want to keep the tack above 2,000 if you are pulling or accelerating.

its a treasure ull love the attention and everyone wants a piece of you as far as racing espically mustangs

oledoc2u 11-07-2010 09:30 AM

I taught all 3 of my sons...I think I was sea sick before I was done...you will get the hang of it...with each mistake you make...over time, you will get smoother and smoother with you shifts, and it will be natural....come without thinking...

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZeroZero
Hi bionicdriver

Well Driving a manual gearbox , you can use the gears to slow the car down along with the brakes , The main reason i like using the gears to help slow the car is that this means you are in the correct gear when you start to accelerate ie you are coming up to a corner/traffic lights you come off the brakes & back on the gas & if your in the right gear your pickup will be smoother & quick ;) .

My wife has just pass her driving test about one year ago & the way she was shown was just to use the brakes & not he gears ,The reason being that brake parts are cheaper to replace than the clutch & gearbox .

I see it this way you can brake later with help from the gears ( ,you can accelerate away faster , you are connected with the car & not just driving , I do not at the moment drive a manual car :( . As i have moved to a SLK55 AMG (auto only) & sometimes i feel like there is something missing & you do not feel like your completely in control

Cheers

Andy

P.s only use first gear on hills .

PP.S please do not keep your foot down on the gas between gear changes (thats accelerating or slowing down) .
it should be a rocking movement , When the clutch is going down your coming off the gas & when the clutch is coming up your going back on the gas ,Its all in the timing you will not get it right 100% of the time (unless you a pro driver).

excellent advice ill have to ask you for more but i have this question when i hit first gear at a stop the car bounces a little bit is that normal or is it just me> espically when the car in front of me is slow and i cant give it enough gas i hit 1st gear the car rocks a bit then i rev up to 1800-2200 then i hit 2nd gear the car rocks a bit then 3rd gear it dosent rock is that normal?

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Chris L.

Keep the revs up between downshifts ....i.e., keep your foot on the gas!! If you let the rpms drop & don't try to rev-match.....you'll get a clunking effect.

If you're going down the interstate in 6th gear at 70 mph (which is about 2500 rpms as I remember) & you want to get on it....you can keep your foot on the gas & drop down to 5th.....even 4th if you're looking for max acceleration. Me personally, if I'm preparing to get on it I drop down to 5th (giving enough gas to maintain the current speed) ...then drop to 4th ..actually increasing the gas (flooring it) before this shift is completed. (I don't think anyone would recommend going down to 3rd at 70...you would have to have the rpms > 5K & there just wouldn't be enough mph to gain by that).
With your foot pretty much to the floor in 4th you'll be approaching 110 within a few seconds.....keep your foot on the gas & hit 5th......5th will take you to 137 & almost anyone that you were playing with will have decided you're insane & will have stopped playing.

Done properly, the time from first hitting 4th (70mph) to hitting 5th (110mph) will be about 10 seconds.

Actually, even when you're upshifting you can get a clunk if you don't keep the rpms up between shifts.

Another favorite ....we have access to the 435 loop around KC about a mile from my house, there's a stop sign about a quarter mile from this 90 degree turn onto the access. Goobers speed up & then have to apply their brakes making the turn onto the access.....this doesn't make sense to me! So, some goober will always dog my *** & I'm down shifting to 2nd rather than applying my brakes like they are doing ....a few seconds later I'm a half mile away & they are trying to recover from almost rolling over making the turn. Love it!

I never power shift to 1st gear.....I've never downshifted to 1st above 5-10 mph.....no guts I guess.

by far the best advice ill have to print this and post it on a little notepad inside my crossfire

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:34 AM

by far some of the best advice ill have to print this info out and practice every word written here ill let you know how it goes give me a week or two

bionicdriver 11-07-2010 09:39 AM

LOL anyone that im playing with well i hear you there i get alot of mustangs wanting a piece of this but im not so sure bc im a novice driver when it comes to manual but ill take ur advice put it to the road and kick *** asap

Mike1118 11-07-2010 10:30 AM

While my Crossfire is the automatic I've owned many sticks in my life. You can downshift from hiway speeds to a stop or a near stop without hit'n the brakes. But if you like the way the backend of your Crossfire was desiged it would be best to at least touch the brakes so the guy behind you KNOWS that you are slow'n down. Otherwise he mite be parked inside your hatch!

onehundred80 11-07-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bionicdriver
LOL anyone that im playing with well i hear you there i get alot of mustangs wanting a piece of this but im not so sure bc im a novice driver when it comes to manual but ill take ur advice put it to the road and kick *** asap

Sad to say you will not kick many ***'s in a Crossfire with a manual tranny, every time you change gear they pick up a few yards on you. When you get to third gear you come into your own but it may be all over by then.:(
This cars set up for touring not racing. Always use first gear unless you are on a down hill grade, clutches are expensive. If you want to race, get an SRT-6 or an auto at least.

blackcrossfire07 11-07-2010 11:02 AM

I never downshift to avoid hitting the brakes. I will down shift if I am slowing down and I am ready to hit the gas pedal and speed up. For example.... If I am in 6th gear and have to slow down to traffic. I will shift down to the correct gear based on my speed once I have slowed down. I will pop it in neutral.

Also note that the gear seems to coordinate with the speed. 3rd gear starts at 30MPH and 4th gear starts at 40. Of course I change gears according to the tach, not the speed of the car. But when I have slowed down and need to pick a gear I usually look at my speed to determine which gear I need to be in.

By the way, the only way my car will allow downshifting to first gear is if I am at a complete stop.

Joliet John 11-07-2010 11:34 AM

Your 1st gear goes up to 31 MPH? I may be wrong, but it seems mine hits the rev limiter at around 15 MPH. I never even touch first unless I'm starting on an uphill. This is one of the quirkiest, most oddly gear trannies I have ever driven (and that includes cars like Lambos and Ferraris).

Another issue with shifting this car is that it's so damn quiet. I shift mostly by sound and this car just messes with my head in that regard. If I have the stereo off, it's possible most times, but... I usually don't have the stereo off. If I'm getting into it with someone, I turn off the tunes.

On the upshift, once you reach whatever speed you want to be at, you can go right to 6th. This car will easily cruise at 40 mph in 6th. Typically my shifts are 2-4-6, skipping 1-3 & 5.

Downshifting - to accelerate, 5th is typically fine, as I am likely already above 80, unless I really want to jam on it, then I'll go to 4th. For stopping, I might downshift to 4th, on occasion, maybe 3rd. Rarely 2nd, and never 1st.

There really is no right or wrong answer as it depends on the road surface & driving conditions. The key should be that whatever you do is smooth - if you are driving well, it should mostly feel about the same as an auto trans car.

muskrat 11-07-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Sad to say you will not kick many ***'s in a Crossfire with a manual tranny, every time you change gear they pick up a few yards on you. When you get to third gear you come into your own but it may be all over by then.:(
This cars set up for touring not racing. Always use first gear unless you are on a down hill grade, clutches are expensive. If you want to race, get an SRT-6 or an auto at least.

Is that why there are so many auto racing cars?

Rapps 11-07-2010 06:42 PM

Well.......1st gear is somewhat useless. Do not down shift into 1st unless the car has already stopped.
You will need to shift to 2nd around 14-16mph unless you can take the screaming of rpms and the looks of drivers next to you wondering why your making all that noise and not going faster than a child on a tricycle. If you don't lose the forward motion that came from 1st get into 2nd then it's an more enjoyable experience. If you do lose forward motion open the door, put your foot on the pavement and like a scooter push and lift your foot until you can shift into 2nd. The manual was not designed for any kind of "spirited" driving it's easier to accept this now than fix a transmission later. I do try to "get on it" but again it's a Crossfire, a German touring car, the ******* child. Realize Mercedes wants nothing to do with the car now, they will not acknowledge it publicly and the company that was Chrysler back then is gone so......don't mess your transmission up. I'm not running the car down, if you know me, you know I really love my XF, that I refused to trade it for a Viper (yes I really did) and would cry like a baby if it was in an accident. It's a great car well worth buying and driving but it's not a performance car that can take a lot of abuse if OEM.
Enjoy the permagrin :D