Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Continental DWS

Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental DWS

this forum is invaluable. did research here on tires, and felt like the continental dws was favored tire. had a set installed and man did that make a huge difference in ride, handling and noise. if there is a better tire it must be phenomenal.

thanx you guys

Old 02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Continental DWS

I was highly impressed with them on my Limited... I think the SRT-6 would make mincemeat of them.

For daily driving, there's not a better tire out there. Heck i even put them through the ringer on the track, and while they're not "track tires" by any stretch of the imagination, they're very good at telegraphing the limits. In other words, they communicate to you LONG before you cross that fine line of traction/loss of control.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster98
this forum is invaluable. did research here on tires, and felt like the continental dws was favored tire. had a set installed and man did that make a huge difference in ride, handling and noise. if there is a better tire it must be phenomenal.

thanx you guys
Sounds like I need to get with the program and grab a set.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by sk8erjosh09
Sounds like I need to get with the program and grab a set.
I'd give 'em the recommendation for a daily, especially since you have plans of race rubber for those other wheels

Be advised that the DWS warranty will not apply to the set you buy, as Continental's lawyerese fine-print states the tires must be able to be rotated...

Still, they're some of the most reasonably priced tires out there on the market and they perform right up there with the best of them. I've never run a quieter tire, or a more comfortable one for that matter.

Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I'd give 'em the recommendation for a daily, especially since you have plans of race rubber for those other wheels

Be advised that the DWS warranty will not apply to the set you buy, as Continental's lawyerese fine-print states the tires must be able to be rotated...

Still, they're some of the most reasonably priced tires out there on the market and they perform right up there with the best of them. I've never run a quieter tire, or a more comfortable one for that matter.
Tire Racks price for them aint bad at all. Once I wear out the current POS's Im deffinately gonna swoop on these.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:27 PM

+1 on this for the most part, but my Discount tire manager, says that they can be rotated side to side (they are not unidirectional), and if done by discount tire in a timely manner (every 5000 to 6000 miles), and the pressure in the tires kept to spec, the company should stand behind them. We'll see ..... There are many auto manufacturers that have come out with cars recently that have staggered tires, that its hard to imagine tire companies NOT standing behind warranties, as long as tires are maintained according to the manufacturer specs and maintenance. Just sayin ......

Old 02-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by IBLUBYU
+1 on this for the most part, but my Discount tire manager, says that they can be rotated side to side (they are not unidirectional), and if done by discount tire in a timely manner (every 5000 to 6000 miles), and the pressure in the tires kept to spec, the company should stand behind them. We'll see ..... There are many auto manufacturers that have come out with cars recently that have staggered tires, that its hard to imagine tire companies NOT standing behind warranties, as long as tires are maintained according to the manufacturer specs and maintenance. Just sayin ......
Discount Tire is very good to deal with on this. And you're right, they can be rotated side-to-side. My DT store helped me tremendously in my case... honoring Continental's pro-rated warranty when Continental would not.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

I got a set of these on our BMW 328i and they are great !!!
Read about them first here on the forum.
Very pleased with these !!!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was highly impressed with them on my Limited... I think the SRT-6 would make mincemeat of them.

For daily driving, there's not a better tire out there. Heck i even put them through the ringer on the track, and while they're not "track tires" by any stretch of the imagination, they're very good at telegraphing the limits. In other words, they communicate to you LONG before you cross that fine line of traction/loss of control.
+1 when I had my limited. I'm still searching for the perfect SRT-6 tire that doesn't kick in the TC every time I stomp on the gas.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 PM

Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, but want to give an update on these tires. Had them installed in June of 2011, and have put on 18K miles. Had the tires rotated and balanced today at Discount Tires, and couldn't be happier. Tread measured 10/32 when they were new, and after the 18K, the fronts are at 8/32nds, and the rears at 8/32nds. Granted, that I really don't drive overly aggressive, I might get 50K out of them. DT told me that as long as the proper presssures are maintained, and get them rotated and balanced, every 5 to 6K miles, they will back them up 100% for the warranty of 50K miles. We'll see .......Just sayin ...

Old 02-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 449 Likes on 316 Posts

Good to know as I have these on our BMW

Old 02-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Administrator
-C-I-C-C-I Associate Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

~ on my 3rd set of dws tires ... used on the bmw, volvo & mb... never a complaint.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:44 AM
Forum Regular

Tried to get the Contis in November. No dice. Had to go with the Kumho Ecsta 4x. Less than $250 each for the rears including install and tax. They really proved their worth in the slush and snow last week! Will get the fronts in the spring if Uncle doesn't lay me off :-/

Old 02-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I put DWSs on Wilma last year.....they have a real high UTQG rating......but a weird observation......instead of 10 32nds.....mine only measured 8-9 brand new???????????

Old 02-13-2013, 11:32 AM
AlG
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the Contis on the front for over a year. They still look great. Just had the General UHP Exclaims on the rear changed over to the DWS because the Generals were bad in the rain and terrible in even in little snow even though they are stamped M + S on the side. Those were on the car for about 30,000 miles but they were just about gone. The original Contis that came on the car went over 50K.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM

If anyone has new DWSs.....please measure the tread depth & let us know ....

Old 02-17-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine were 9's from the start too. got them in October 2011. great tire.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks. No way way they were 10 32nds as advertised/spec sheets. I do like them though.....

Old 02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular

How do the Continental DWS' compare to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? Any experience?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Sandy
How do the Continental DWS' compare to the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? Any experience?
Sandy .... they're 2 different tires. The PS2s are considered "summer" tires, and would give no traction in slippery (wet) AND snowy conditions. The DWS (stands for "dry, wet, snow") are made with different configurations of the treads and "sipes" that provides better traction in all conditions. They are NOT considered "snow" tires, but are amongst the best "all-season" tires available. The "DWS" are indicators built into the center tread, that wear down as the tire wears, that will indicate whether or not the tire will perform as it should. If the "S" (snow) indicator is gone (its the first to go), then it will only perform well in the "D" (dry) and "W" (wet). Along with that, the composition of the rubber in the tires, are different also, so that they resist getting flat spots when parked in very cold weather. I'm pretty sure about this, but I'm sure others may chime in about them.

On a side note ... measurements of the depths of treads, are completely dependent on the competency of the person taking the measurement, and the accuracy of the instrument used. I Usually have measurements taken in the center tread, at 2 to 3 places around the tire. Just sayin .......

Quick Reply: Continental DWS