Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Start & Stall Issue

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Start & Stall Issue

Recently I had been experiencing a random starting problem with my 04 (47k). It seems on hot days it will turn over the engine but not start. I jumped the car and it starts first time, so thinking it was a battery problem I replaced the battery. Everything was fine for a few days until first hot day, no start. I searched the forum and seen a lot of posts about bad camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. This was what I was experiencing so first I replaced the camshaft sensor, good for a few days then the car stalled out, I was able to restart after a while but figured must then be the crankshaft sensor. I replaced that but this time the car started to misfire on acceleration and had a noticeable loss of power. Back to the forum and found the RCM issue so off I go again and make the solder fix (joints did look fine but made the fix anyway). No go! The car is still misfiring and not sure where to go from here other than sending it into the dealer.

Any ideas wound be appreciated. Could it be the fuel filter or pump? Also I read that you had to use OEM Bosch sensors which I did not.

Really need to invest in a code reader!

Mickland

Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Start & Stall Issue

Well, not to be negative, but there are bad Crankshaft Position Sensors on the market. It does sound like that is the problem. The RCM fix needs to be done under a magnifying glass to really make the fix. It just isn't visable to the naked eye. One other thing that cause rough idle is the IAT sensor located to the rear driver's side of the engine. They have broking their mounting clips in the past, but the car will run rough and not idle. I would do the easiest first, and try another Crankshaft sensor, then revisit the solder joints. With that said, fuel could do this as well, as a few members have lost their fuel pumps. Good luck....

Ooops, I failed to ask if it were N/A or SRT....if N/A, you won't have an AIT sensor...
And, the code reader woundn't help in this case, none of the above would throw a code. But, having one is a good thing...

Last edited by oledoc2u; 05-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

The car is not the SRT and does idle fine so can not be the AIT sensor. I will run it for the next week with the current non Bosch CPS to see if it stalls or is hard to start (takes a few days to order the part anyway). If it runs without issues (apart from the misfire and power loss of course) then that reinforces the non Bosch crankshaft position sensor as the source. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:17 PM

Put the Bosch CPS sensor in last weekend and the misfire was gone, still feels sluggish in the low RPM, particulary in 1st and 2nd gear but still better than it was. Will switch the camshaft position sensor back to an OEM Bosch part and see if that resolves the performance issue. If either of your cam or crank sensors go I suggest you replace them with OEM Bosch parts. Thanks.