Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Needswings has the Wavetrac for crossfires. '04 to '08

Old 12-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Re: Needswings has the Wavetrac for crossfires. '04 to '08

even if you are in calf,, if you go through Needswings the price is better and you can still take or ship to unitrax, as needswings made a deal with them for them to do the install even though it was needswings who sold it to you. jim

Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if your in cali then have unitrax do it. 225$ is the install price. drop it off and save the shipping. they are the direct distributor for the wavetrac and do these diffs in 24 hrs.
That isn't installed into the car. Just the diff. Correct?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gentlemen, don't roast me too much, but for a newb, what is a Wavetrac and what is the advantage of installing one. Please be gentle, I'm still new to higher mechanics.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
That isn't installed into the car. Just the diff. Correct?
The answer lies in the 'save shipping' comment.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
The answer lies in the 'save shipping' comment.
That didn't answer my question Dave. If I am correct, they install into the diff for $225, plus shipping, if you aren't local. You will still need to take your diff out, at a cost, and re-install, at a cost. We do it all for $400 if you are local to us. Just don't want people to think they can take their car to them for the complete install.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That didn't answer my question Dave. If I am correct, they install into the diff for $225, plus shipping, if you aren't local. You will still need to take your diff out, at a cost, and re-install, at a cost. We do it all for $400 if you are local to us. Just don't want people to think they can take their car to them for the complete install.
your correct doc. i did the actual install of the diff into the car myself. i wasnt trying to sell your option short just giving him an alternative as he lives in cali and the diff install isnt that hard just a bit time consuming.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 538 Likes on 454 Posts

I guess we read things different to you guys then, when someone says 'drop it of and save the shipping' we would assume that it is the diff being dropped off not the car, as who ships a car?
Seems logical to me.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
even if you are in calf,, if you go through Needswings the price is better and you can still take or ship to unitrax, as needswings made a deal with them for them to do the install even though it was needswings who sold it to you. jim
minus the cost of the oil and seals im not seeing a difference in price. mind you i fully support rob but to say his is cheaper wouldnt be exactly correct. without a group buy 1200$ is as cheap as it gets with the wavetrac. doesnt matter what company you get it from. with the group buy we did the initail saving was 150$ over the retail cost. (our group buy 1100$) with my shipping costs and install cost i spent 1500$. unless your car is close to either needswings or unitrax you either install the unit yourself or pay someone to do it.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by smfrycruzr
Gentlemen, don't roast me too much, but for a newb, what is a Wavetrac and what is the advantage of installing one. Please be gentle, I'm still new to higher mechanics.
no roasting needed! the wavetrac for all intensive purposes is a limited slip diff. your oem setup is on open diff which cant handle the power of modded cars. heres a quick price breakdown

1. oem 3000$
2.used oem 400$ (no way to know how long it will last)
3. osgiken 8000$ if you can get them to build it
4. wavetrac 1200$ and warrentied for life up to 1000 hp
so you see even if you dont race your car and the diff fails the wavetrac is the way to go.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 197 Likes on 151 Posts

read this . it explains everything. well almost everything,,, the only thing left out is the wavetrac well fit any crossfire srt6 or limited. jim

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...2-srt-6-a.html

Old 01-01-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by amx1397
read this . it explains everything. well almost everything,,, the only thing left out is the wavetrac well fit any crossfire srt6 or limited. jim

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...2-srt-6-a.html
this isn actually the read you need if you want to understand what the wavetrac does
Wavetrac® Differential - A torque biasing differential with a difference

Old 01-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Thank you Gentlemen, very interesting read. I went to Wikipedia to learn of the different types of diffs. Just amazing what all is done inside that unit between the wheels. Thanks for not roasting the un-informed.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Thank you Gentlemen, very interesting read. I went to Wikipedia to learn of the different types of diffs. Just amazing what all is done inside that unit between the wheels. Thanks for not roasting the un-informed.
no worries. for the xfire diff the failure point seems to be the spider gears or the roll pin that holds everything together. you will reuse your oem ring and pinion gear so doing this before any damage occurs would be best. the s/c xfires have a lot more power and it seems to affect them more but be aware the n/a diff is the same setup and subject to the same failures.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM

no worries. for the xfire diff the failure point seems to be the spider gears or the roll pin that holds everything together. you will reuse your oem ring and pinion gear so doing this before any damage occurs would be best. the s/c xfires have a lot more power and it seems to affect them more but be aware the n/a diff is the same setup and subject to the same failures.
Hey 32krazy, since I only do regular driving with the "occasional" foot tromping, do I really need to worry about getting the wavetrac? She really has turned into my garage queen, since we bought the PT-GT, I don't get to drive her all that much..

Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM

Hey 32krazy, since I only do regular driving with the "occasional" foot tromping, do I really need to worry about getting the wavetrac? She really has turned into my garage queen, since we bought the PT-GT, I don't get to drive her all that much..
no way to tell. we have 1 member whop never raced and did a burnout in his driveway and lunched the diff. mimisrt races weekly and hasnt had an issue. my buddy races in a bracket class and ran all last season. did a maintenence teardown and the spider gears the roll pin ring and pinion were all toast. doesnt even know how the diff was still turning . i guess the biggest concern isnt that the diff will fail its will the wavetrac be available when you need it. we had 22 built in the group buy and im told a total of 50 were made. more have been sold since the buy and nobody knows how many are left and if autotech will build more if needed. would suck if you need the unit and the last unit sold a week before!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

...would suck if you need the unit and the last unit sold a week before!
Thats what Im worried about. lol

Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for clearing the axle situation up.i just rethreaded my 12mm x 1.5 semi stripped hubs to 14 mm x 1.5 and do not want to have to take those off.thanks for the info im in the market for the wavetrac.took it out of my imaginary kids college fund.lol.i got the chevy 350 and with 425 lbs tq imma need that in by next month.any answers you have on the diff ill digest.unbolt remove send ,get back and reinstall is the basic theory i suppose.you can use everything even driveshaft?and finally what is the difference inthe 2 wavetrac diff's needswing sells 1 costs more than the other?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by robertalive
thank you for clearing the axle situation up.i just rethreaded my 12mm x 1.5 semi stripped hubs to 14 mm x 1.5 and do not want to have to take those off.thanks for the info im in the market for the wavetrac.took it out of my imaginary kids college fund.lol.i got the chevy 350 and with 425 lbs tq imma need that in by next month.any answers you have on the diff ill digest.unbolt remove send ,get back and reinstall is the basic theory i suppose.you can use everything even driveshaft?and finally what is the difference inthe 2 wavetrac diff's needswing sells 1 costs more than the other?
theres only 1 wavetrac 2 distributors. pick who you want. being form nj call ttm in long island and ask them the cost for the install. best shop on the east coast. tell bruce i sent you. (wont save you a dime but it sounds great!) while the diff is out check the flex plates and replace as needed