Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Sparkplugs

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default re: Sparkplugs

Originally Posted by waldig
Use a short length of fuel line like 3/8th inch ID to start and remove the plugs when they are broken free. Coil packs come off first. Woody
Yes I did it this way about 2 weeks ago per your advice. It only took about an hour and a half. I've had worse auto jobs before.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dinasrt
You probably had another jaw dropping moment when you had to pay for said spark plugs and full synthetic oil. At 26 years old I know I would have. This thread starts with a 19 yr.old and now a 26 yr. old. You youngsters are smart and very fortunate to have this nice little(and well built)performance car like this at your age. Glad to hear your maintaining them well, drive safe. Pick your spirited driving locations wisely.
luckily, the car had a 65,000 service before getting the car. i have yet to purchase oil or plugs. i am not looking forward to it! haha

Old 07-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Forum Regular

Got my car more than a year ago, it is a 2004. After 7 years I think it is tome to change the plugs.
They were dirty and I believe the news ones were an update compare to the NGK that were stock.

Since I have changed mine, I have a smooth and nice running engine.

I will change mine every 20k, My choice. for $40 it does not hurt

Old 07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what mine looked like after 18k miles.

QFbjF.jpg

Was glad to change them.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Forum Regular

My plugs were dirtier than yours.

btw when I got the car, i passed by Chrysler for a quote for a tune up.
$1000
I replied, "really"" the girl, well there are 12 sparkplugs...

last time i requested a quote for the differential, transmission, radiator and bleeding brakes..
i was providing all fluids and parts for the tran.

$100 to flush the differential
$110 to flush the trans
$100 for the radiator

I was like, damn everything is $100

He replied... kind of...
I was like.. ok thanks You bye

Old 07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
Forum Regular

Ridiculous, isn't it?

Old 07-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Forum Regular

more than ridiculous

it defies gravity....

Old 07-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

did you ask her if it had 12 cylinders? Now you guys make me want to go change my plugs. I need to order more from Rob...bought a set for the coupe, but didn't the roadster...this 2'fer thing gets expensive

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tunaglove
Go slow and try to have fun doing it.
Just like prom night LOL

So what plugs are NA guys using? Cost and source if possible...

Old 10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still looking for additional tips on the plug wires. Plugs were not easy for me, but I just bought two more very short extensions, along with dielectric grease and a pair of spark plug boot pliers. Wires are about as tough as anything I've tackled, at least relative to any other vehicle I've ever owned. I thought getting them off was tough, but getting them on has so far been impossible.

Just a data point - I'm changing mine now at 80K. I bought the car at 73K, and was told the plugs had not been changed. Car runs smoothly (at least it did this morning before the plugs came out), but the tips were burned off each of the six I've removed so far.

I'm not touching the last six until I get the wires back on the first six and hear it run.

Michael

Old 10-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Speaking of spark plugs..on my list of things to do... and look what I found..
http://econtent.autozone.com:24999/z...e/en_US/66.pdf

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 PM

Dielectric grease and the plug boot pliers worked magic. Only about an hour and very little blood to reassemble driver's side. It ran very smoothly, so I should get the remaining six tomorrow.

The attached (I hope) picture shows what each of the six I've changed looked like after 80,000 miles. It still ran well, but I expect some improvement. These were pretty well used up.

Michael
05 Roadster Limited, black 6 spd (pulls to the left now)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
80K miles plug.jpg (88.9 KB, 90 views)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:27 PM

When I took my car in for the 30k check-up (in 2007) the dealer told me it was time for new plugs. Oh and because there were 12 of them, it would cost $300.00 just for the plugs.
I told them thanks, but I'd pass.
As for sparkplug longevity, I finally got around to changing my 02 Hondas original sparkplugs a few months ago at 156k. The mpg went down with the fresh plugs.
By the way, what's the plug of choice for an NA car?
What gap?
What's the price per plug?
Thanks

Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM

FireAMX,

Manual says NGK or Bosch. The plugs I removed, original I am certain, were NGK. It just seems wrong to me. Maybe in a Toyota. I put Bosch back in. Box has more numbers than seems reasonable, but +45, and then FR 8 DPP33+.

Gap, per manual, at 0.039 inches/1 mm. The gap end came with a cardboard cylinder to protect the plug, and the gap was correct out of the box.

I think they were about 7-8 bucks each, from Autohaus AZ.

I am very pleased with how it runs, and will make a trip to Tampa, via Atlanta, over the next week. I hope to see some improvement in mileage.

I hope to forget how little fun I had changing them before I need to do it again!

Michael

Michael

Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 AM

I hate changing our plugs. Did it twice so far. It was difficult putting the wire back on the rears being sure that they "popped" on. Love the Denso Iridium IK22's that are in there now. Besides....F**** stands for Friggin.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 PM

WOW..... Have had my CF for 5 years. Got 115,000 miles on it. Runs great and I get over 30 mpg. Have not changed or touched the plugs or wires. Yea, I should change them, but you don't shoot a good horse.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris2806126
WOW..... Have had my CF for 5 years. Got 115,000 miles on it. Runs great and I get over 30 mpg. Have not changed or touched the plugs or wires. Yea, I should change them, but you don't shoot a good horse.
I agree, some people like wasting money on plugs that have seen hardly any use. As for updates on spark plugs there has hardly been any of any consequence in the last few years, it's mostly advertising BS. The biggest change in plugs has probably been how to make them more cheaply with a bigger profit. But people swear they have a smoother running car with every unnecessary change, good for them, but why waste your money.

The stealership would have you change your plugs with every oil change, it's money in their pocket.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by onehundred80
I agree, some people like wasting money on plugs that have seen hardly any use. As for updates on spark plugs there has hardly been any of any consequence in the last few years, it's mostly advertising BS. The biggest change in plugs has probably been how to make them more cheaply with a bigger profit. But people swear they have a smoother running car with every unnecessary change, good for them, but why waste your money.

The stealership would have you change your plugs with every oil change, it's money in their pocket.
The maintenance schedule states change at 100K miles or 5 years. I wouldn't worry much about the years. If gas milage and performance hasn't changed I wouldn't get in a rush?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:23 AM

I agree, some people like wasting money on plugs that have seen hardly any use.
Over 100K is hardly any use?

Why do you bother eating, 180, you are simply going to be hungry again?

But I am sure you are right, because those mercedes engineers aren't sticklers for details

Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM

One of the biggest problems about not changing the plugs for long periods of time, especially with the originals having high mileage and lots of years, is that when you do finally want to change them they won't come out of the head. I had that problem with my truck that had about 7 years and 40,000 miles on them when I decided to change them, I got them out but it wasn't easy. Sometimes saving a little now doesn't pay off in the long run. Save money now if you can but don't be cheap.

Quick Reply: Sparkplugs