CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Question for you Crossfire Owners (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/5181-question-you-crossfire-owners.html)

_fastlane 06-08-2004 01:17 PM

Question for you Crossfire Owners

I've read that in the Mazda Rx8's that they want you to use premium gas.

Is this the same with the Crossfire?

karrick 06-08-2004 01:22 PM

They do indeed-91 octane minimum.

WesMichaels 06-08-2004 01:23 PM

minimum 91 Octane. But the Crossfire puts it to better use. :lol: :lol: :lol: IMO :D

Bill Welch 06-08-2004 03:28 PM

My dealer also told me to use premium. Maybe somebody can confirm this though... he also said that even though the price of the premium is higher, it burns differently and produces more MPG.
Just a sales tactic? I really don't care but I was curious about this statistic.
He could have told me to run cow dung and in the state of euphoria I've been in since owning this thing, I would believe anything.

_fastlane 06-08-2004 03:30 PM

I wonder what the difference would be in performance with regular octane vs premium?

WesMichaels 06-08-2004 03:34 PM

Typically Premium in 91 Octane or higher. Regular is 87 Octane and middle grade is 89 Octane.

landho 06-08-2004 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Welch
... and in the state of euphoria I've been in since owning this thing, I would believe anything.

Would you believe that you should have received 2 special discounts for your car:
1. They forgot to add color to your paint. :D
2. They forgot to put a roof on it too. :D

LOL- It's a beautiful roadster... :lol:

Bill Welch 06-08-2004 03:58 PM

2. They forgot to put a roof on it too. :D :[/quote]

less metal to wash and wax!

DGDanieljr1 06-08-2004 06:43 PM

:D yep...they forgot the top!

David Burns 06-08-2004 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by _fastlane
I wonder what the difference would be in performance with regular octane vs premium?

Your Crossfire engine is designed for the higher octane. Using lower than 91 would have long term detrimental effects to the insides of your engine.

Richard Spafford 06-09-2004 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by David Burns

Originally Posted by _fastlane

Your Crossfire engine is designed for the higher octane. Using lower than 91 would have long term detrimental effects to the insides of your engine.

Yup.
There are some cars with what I think they call dynamic timing so you can use any gas while losing 10-15% HP with 87 octane, but as far as I know, the Crossfire really has to have premium.

Ron H 06-09-2004 10:56 PM

When I took delivery of my Crossfire, the moron lot boy at the dealership put about 3/4 of a tank of regular in it. I noticed quite a bit of hesitation and stumbling, especially in stop-and-go traffic. Adding octane boost didn't really help, but once I'd managed to burn off that tankful, the car ran much better (flawlessly) on 93 octane. So I can attest that regular isn't going to make it in the Crossfire.

Milehighxfire 06-09-2004 11:19 PM

You guys got me curious so I checked the owners manual. When I didn't believe what I read on page 149, I opened the gas tank door and there it was...."Premium Fuel". Oh well, diesel was getting expensive and hard to find anyway. :shock: Hopefully I'll see an increase in performance.

WesMichaels 06-10-2004 06:23 AM

This engine is 10.0:1 compression ratio. With that much compression you have to run the higher octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition that will damage valves and pistons.

If you are hearing "pinging" (especially when accellerating) or the engine tries to keep running after the ignition is turned off you are experiencing "pre-ignition". :(