Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Coupe Roof Top Trim strips removal/finish

Old 09-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Coupe Roof Top Trim strips removal/finish

On the coupe roof top, there is a trim strip about 5/8" wide that extends from the top of the windshield to the top of the rear hatch recess on each side about 2" from the upper body recess for the door header. My coupe's trim has flaked off, and requires refinishing, but only on one side. On the opposite side, the trim strip appears to have a vinyl covering of some type because there are tiny air bubbles that can be moved around with just your finger in a few spots. I checked the Crossfire Factory Tech's service manual and cannot find any mention of these trim strips anywhere in the body section or elsewhere in the entire manual. They appear to be plastic, or at least non metallic. It seems as though they would snap in/out, or flex and spring out. Can anyone provide information on these strips, materials, and/or removal and installation? Thanks.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Coupe Roof Top Trim strips removal/finish

They Are Glued In Place Can Be Removed And Painted. I Had Some Repainted On A Blk Xf Do Not Think They Removed To Paint ? Check The Search Feature Under Coupe Roof Strips

. Lo Ts Of Info Good Luck ,

Old 08-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by texas t
They Are Glued In Place Can Be Removed And Painted. I Had Some Repainted On A Blk Xf Do Not Think They Removed To Paint ? Check The Search Feature Under Coupe Roof Strips

. Lo Ts Of Info Good Luck ,

Im having the same issue. except when they painted mine they also painted the small rubber weatherstripping on either side. The body shop said he would repaint them if I could figure out how to get them off because he didn't want to add anymore paint to them while on the car. any insight how i can get these off without breaking them. I feel like i wont be able to order new ones if they break.

Dave

Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by flawxy
Im having the same issue. except when they painted mine they also painted the small rubber weatherstripping on either side. The body shop said he would repaint them if I could figure out how to get them off because he didn't want to add anymore paint to them while on the car. any insight how i can get these off without breaking them. I feel like i wont be able to order new ones if they break.

Dave
flawxy;753654

This is an easy task, using the follow steps:
  1. Open the rear hatch
  2. This will reveal a small type hook at the end of the strip
  3. Gently pull up on that hook and slowly peel up on the strip, since the rubber under the strip is pushed into the channel on the roof.
  4. Continue to lift the strip until you get to the windshield surround and it will pop out of the roof channel.
  5. When reinstalling, reverse the procedure and insert the front first and press the strip in, going all the way back, to the rear window.
I hope this helps....
Dennis
DTMenace

The following 2 users liked this post by DTMenace:
Adasher1 (06-30-2022), nickwe21 (04-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2013, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by DTMenace
flawxy;753654

This is an easy task, using the follow steps:
  1. Open the rear hatch
  2. This will reveal a small type hook at the end of the strip
  3. Gently pull up on that hook and slowly peel up on the strip, since the rubber under the strip is pushed into the channel on the roof.
  4. Continue to lift the strip until you get to the windshield surround and it will pop out of the roof channel.
  5. When reinstalling, reverse the procedure and insert the front first and press the strip in, going all the way back, to the rear window.
I hope this helps....
Dennis
DTMenace
I truly appreciate the help I will give it a try this afternoon.

Dave

Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but have you had any luck getting these strips off? My drivers side one has been starting to peel and I need to re-finish it.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by 07aeroblue
Sorry to bump an old thread, but have you had any luck getting these strips off? My drivers side one has been starting to peel and I need to re-finish it.
No problem, I miss my crossfire. from what i remember, i just took a plastic putty knife or an old credit card and just slowly started drom one end and had to use a little force, but the popped right out. I believe the rubber seal stays with the aluminum roof trim and is easily removed. Again, I think you need to use a little firxe to carefully remove them. Then they just snap back into place.

Good luck,

Dave

Old 04-29-2015, 10:37 AM

Awesome, thanks for the reply! I'll have to give this a shot this weekend.