Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Loss of all Power

Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Loss of all Power

I've had my '05 Crossfire completely lose power twice in the past 3 weeks. The first time I was stopped waiting to turn left. Everything shut down, no engine, no radio, no IP lights. I put it in park and restarted it, no problem. The second time I stopped at a restaurant for take-out. Got back into my car, turned the key, and nothing. Again no power at all. I popped the hood, hoping I could wiggle the battery connections for a quick fix, and saw a light flash on my IP. Seeing that, I got out, closed my hood, and the car started right up. Has anyone else had a similar experience and know of a potential remedy?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Re: Loss of all Power

If you wiggle the battery cables and see an effect - I'd say the connections to the battery are suspect (and battery cables can go open inside the terminal - replacement of the cables is the answer there).

Loosening the cable connectors and using a wire brush to clean the battery posts and terminals, then re-tightening them is the answer there.

ALSO, batteries can fail internally (kinda rare, but I have seen this). Battery replacement would be the answer there - if the terminals are clean and tight and if you have to pull HARD on the cables to make the power come back or fail, I'd suspect the battery itself.

But it's hard to tell at a distance if it's the cable connectors or battery.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 456 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Catherine
I've had my '05 Crossfire completely lose power twice in the past 3 weeks. The first time I was stopped waiting to turn left. Everything shut down, no engine, no radio, no IP lights. I put it in park and restarted it, no problem. The second time I stopped at a restaurant for take-out. Got back into my car, turned the key, and nothing. Again no power at all. I popped the hood, hoping I could wiggle the battery connections for a quick fix, and saw a light flash on my IP. Seeing that, I got out, closed my hood, and the car started right up. Has anyone else had a similar experience and know of a potential remedy?
ABSOLUTELY !!!
I had then same problem and it turned out to be a very slightly loose connection on my positive battery terminal.
Remove both battery cable clamps and clean the posts and clamps and then reinstall them very tightly and hopefully your problem will be resol
ved.

I had a thread for this very same issue and it ended up being a slightly loose clamp.
I hope that's all it is for you

Intermittent Complete 12V Power Loss / Ideas ?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM

Thanks all! I've removed and cleaned both battery cables. (The negative was slightly corroded and not as tight as it could have been - not loose, couldn't rotate it by hand - but not tight.) Hopefully this does the trick. After reading some posts I originally thought it was the CPS or RCM. However, the posts didn't seem to match the complete loss of power - no power to any electronics either.

"This post is in response to the MANY occurrences of the "Mystery No Start" issue. Symptoms being car will die and/or will not restart but may restart after waiting for a while. Also, when attempting to start the engine all electronics work but the engine will not crank"

Also, I find it strange that popping the hood was enough to shake some life into the car. Seems more likely a bad connection issue then a sensor issue, but still strange none the less. You'd think hitting one of these Michigan potholes would cause the same affect. If it occurs again, CPS/RCM is next.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks all! I've removed and cleaned both battery cables. (The negative was slightly corroded and not as tight as it could have been - not loose, couldn't rotate it by hand - but not tight.) Hopefully this does the trick. After reading some posts I originally thought it was the CPS or RCM. However, the posts didn't seem to match the complete loss of power - no power to any electronics either.

"This post is in response to the MANY occurrences of the "Mystery No Start" issue. Symptoms being car will die and/or will not restart but may restart after waiting for a while. Also, when attempting to start the engine all electronics work but the engine will not crank"

Also, I find it strange that popping the hood was enough to shake some life into the car. Seems more likely a bad connection issue then a sensor issue, but still strange none the less. You'd think hitting one of these Michigan potholes would cause the same affect. If it occurs again, CPS/RCM is next.
I'd make the RCM next.. cps everything works but the motor firing.. "Been there" ..

Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

EVERYBODY go to the RCM link and do the fix.
Shouldn't take more than 30 mins max.
Why wait for it to strand you!?

FIX IT TODAY!

Just DO IT!

Heck I've even done mine!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
EVERYBODY go to the RCM link and do the fix.
Shouldn't take more than 30 mins max.

FIX IT TODAY!

Just DO IT!

+1 - It was probably the first thing I did after finding this forum and reading up on our cars. And I'll throw in I really should have put together an "emergency" Crank Position Sensor kit. I was lucky enough to have my wife bring me my tools and a sensor for a parking lot repair on it. Overall about 3 hours to get fixed vrs maybe 15 minutes if I'd have been prepared. Score yourself an OBDII reader on Amazon for $15-$20 while you don't need it too!

Old 07-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm still waiting for my two to fail...lol Hard headed I guess. Maybe I will do them this weekend....while I am tearing into everything else... Time, it is Time thing...just don't have the time...

Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Administrator
Received 884 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by tighed1

FIX IT TODAY!

Just DO IT!

Just what my attitude is on the "Sticky Ignition Key Fix".

Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

lol................... I'm just lazy...should have pulled them out last winter and sent them out west...lol

Old 07-05-2012, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Just what my attitude is on the "Sticky Ignition Key Fix".
I know I should.. mine is a little tweaky with move the wheel most everytime.. but I'm in Doc's boat with this one.. lol.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:43 PM

Well, I did the RCM fix. I was at first intimidated by the idea of removing a circuit board from my car and soldering it, but the hardest part probably was getting the cover off the RCM. I did see a small crack in the solder at the joint in question. Hopefully I didn't make matters worse with a bad solder job, (I was a little nervous my car wasn't go to start at all when I put everything back together.) If in time it turns out I didn't make matters worse and the car is behaving better I may get the courage to try the "me so horny" mod.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If in time it turns out I didn't make matters worse and the car is behaving better I may get the courage to try the "me so horny" mod.

You know what your doing to us "guys" when you talk like this. LOL

If the car has indeed started then I'm putting my money on the RCM as your problem and you should be good to go. Good luck.