CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   Side View Mirror (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/53896-side-view-mirror.html)

sounddaddy 01-03-2012 04:44 PM

Side View Mirror

My side view mirror is loose ... can't imagine why ? ... no trauma or anything ... just went for a ride and it's loose ...breakaway not latching...2004 coupe with 14,000 miles ... any clues ?

RMADERMAN 01-03-2012 05:51 PM

Re: Side View Mirror

Originally Posted by sounddaddy
My side view mirror is loose ... can't imagine why ? ... no trauma or anything ... just went for a ride and it's loose ...breakaway not latching...2004 coupe with 14,000 miles ... any clues ?

Try turning the mirror breakawy and tightening the screws.

MrMoPar 01-03-2012 06:41 PM

If the base is tight, then the press on retainer for the spring that holds the tension on the mirror post has moved. If this is the case, will need to remove door panel to unplug the mirror connector to allow mirror to be removed so the tension clip can be pressed back down.

sounddaddy 01-03-2012 07:15 PM

Sounds like the case Mr Mopar ... it just spins on the base with no tension ... Thanks ... Any idea what caused that ?

RMADERMAN .. Thanks I will check the screws also.

Happy New Year Guys

MrMoPar 01-04-2012 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by sounddaddy
Sounds like the case Mr Mopar ... it just spins on the base with no tension ... Thanks ... Any idea what caused that ?

RMADERMAN .. Thanks I will check the screws also.

Happy New Year Guys

The mirror post has a tension spring held on by what some call a "Palnut". It is not really a nut, but a thin spring steel washer with fingers that stick inward. When pressed on, the fingers grip the stud, and the spring tension pushes back against it keeping it in place. Most likely culprit is the washer cracked between two fingers, releasing it's grip.

The washer would nut be a serviceable part by itself. It may be possible to find one non OEM. I have a mirror off that has a damaged base. When you get yours off, send me a picture so I can see what is up with it.

sounddaddy 01-18-2012 09:34 PM

I took the glass off and see an aluminium washer that pushes onto the post ... I did not take the door panel off or remove the mirror ... just took a peak inside.

I got in there with a small screwdriver and it seems pretty sloppy ... like it will not push down and grab the post. ... very loose.

can this be fixed ? ... mirror is otherwise perfect as car only has 14k on it

Micah 05-22-2012 01:40 PM

I found pieces of what must be the "palnut" in my passenger mirror. Do you have any tips on what could be used to fix it? It's an '04.

sounddaddy 05-22-2012 01:58 PM

No .. i have not fixed mine either ... seems like i need to get a new mirror ?

Micah 09-09-2012 08:56 AM

yah, i ended up just buying a new mirror from the dealer