Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

R-170 Front End Swap?

Old 01-22-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R-170 Front End Swap?

Hey all, I have come across an SLK 230 hit in the side and was wondering about swapping the front bumper, headlights, grille, and hood from the SLK to the Crossfire. It seems easy enough, I just wonder if anybody knows if all the hookups are the same under there. Thanks.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: R-170 Front End Swap?

Originally Posted by Teck-9
Hey all, I have come across an SLK 230 hit in the side and was wondering about swapping the front bumper, headlights, grille, and hood from the SLK to the Crossfire. It seems easy enough, I just wonder if anybody knows if all the hookups are the same under there. Thanks.
the lines will look awful without some custom bodywork, and I doubt anything will align to the fenders

Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It has been done before, I saw this one on ebay a while back from a R171, looks like a complete front clip is required as you will need to use the front part of the SLK fenders:
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

Last edited by MI1XFIRE; 01-22-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM

The crossfire hood and the R170 front bumper/wings will not line up.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM

I'd be doing the hood too.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 AM

I'd be doing the hood too.
And killing the future value of the car. You will never get your money back from this project.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BLACKSRT-6
And killing the future value of the car. You will never get your money back from this project.
Yea, save your money.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

AND it's ugly!

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
AND it's ugly!
Thanks, didn't want to say it!

Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM

It wont be worth as much and it will be ugly? Ok, I wont do this.

Is that what you want? Has anybody in history ever responded to similar discouragement in such a manner as the above. Its not as ugly as driving a lie with a ******* sebring front end. Chryslers are pieces of **** and I don't want my car pretending to be one. Every time anybody asks something on this forum, nobody speaks up with relevant info, they just sit around critisizing. Its my project. Id sell my reproductive organs before Id sell that car. I wasn' ******* asking about dumb *** resale value, I don't care. Can anybody tell me where at any point I asked about resale value or opinions on appearance. At mbworld or audiworld, people actually answer questions. Does it make you all feel smart to discourage people by telling them **** they already know as opossed to having enough respect for a fellow owner to consider that maybe, just maybe theyve thought this tnrough. This forum is 90% old cynics. Any of you ever read posts by lantana tx. Even if he thinks something is a bad idea, his critisism is always accompanied by pertinent information. He'll say this might be a bad idea, but heres what i know. You should all strive to be like him. If everybody thought like you guys, we wouldnt even have electricity. I guess if I want to recognize this car as the mb that it is, i should just move permanently to mb world.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Is that what you want? Has anybody in history ever responded to similar discouragement in such a manner as the above. Its not as ugly as driving a lie with a ******* sebring front end. Chryslers are pieces of **** and I don't want my car pretending to be one. Every time anybody asks something on this forum, nobody speaks up with relevant info, they just sit around critisizing. Its my project. Id sell my reproductive organs before Id sell that car. I wasn' ******* asking about dumb *** resale value, I don't care. Can anybody tell me where at any point I asked about resale value or opinions on appearance. At mbworld or audiworld, people actually answer questions. Does it make you all feel smart to discourage people by telling them **** they already know as opossed to having enough respect for a fellow owner to consider that maybe, just maybe theyve thought this tnrough. This forum is 90% old cynics. Any of you ever read posts by lantana tx. Even if he thinks something is a bad idea, his critisism is always accompanied by pertinent information. He'll say this might be a bad idea, but heres what i know. You should all strive to be like him. If everybody thought like you guys, we wouldnt even have electricity. I guess if I want to recognize this car as the mb that it is, i should just move permanently to mb world.

For realz?

Old 01-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The answer you are looking for, ********* NO! or ********Yes!

Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 PM

I like the crossfire's front end much better than the slk's.. actually there's nothing I like about the slk's styling. You can do whatever you want, but the car would look very confused to say the least. Electricity wouldn't exist is Tesla didn't persist and actually prove everybody wrong, because everyone though he was crazy and tried to shoot him down (Edison included). If you really beleive it will look good, do it.. but don't get upset when both crossfire and slk owners hate the car..the crossfire owners are already giving their opinions lol. If you really feel that chrysler is crap, trade it for an slk, they are close in price and you won't feel like you are living a lie. You will be losing money by doing this swap, but it's still your money to spend and no one else's. I would just recommend doing a photoshop at the least to get an idea of how it is going to look before you dive into this project.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think it would be a brilliant idea.

You would accomplish the following:
  • Destroy your resale
  • Render your car invisible at car shows
  • Confuse the DMV
  • Get called a poser
  • Regress the styling of the Crossfire by nearly a decade
  • Spend absurd amounts of cash
  • Create a completely confused character line throughout the side of the car
  • Reduce the space behind the grille for intake mods
  • Do an even worse job of marrying the two cars together than Daimler did in '03
Since it's your money, not mine, this is the best idea I've seen all day. I would love to see you actually finish this project.

There's your support.

If that's still not sufficient, then perhaps you truly would be happier just buying a Mercedes if the badge means that much to you. Then, you could join THEIR forum and cuss them out for giving you an opinion AFTER YOU ASKED FOR ONE.

But seriously, you have my support. I'm sure the parts are cheap and abundant. Convert the coupe portion to the Vario Roof, while you're at it. Now THAT would be the cat's pajamas.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ever think people are tired of answering your absurd questions?

How is your NA to SRT performance going, or your race seats, or your AC delete? How about 110 racing fuel or new cams? What about a chip tune or your 4.3L swap? Most of us regulars remember all your outlandish threads.

Search and read, and do not be disappointed when you ask a stupid question that you get a lot of stupid responses.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JHM2K
I think it would be a brilliant idea.

You would accomplish the following:
  • Destroy your resale
  • Render your car invisible at car shows
  • Confuse the DMV
  • Get called a poser
  • Regress the styling of the Crossfire by nearly a decade
  • Spend absurd amounts of cash
  • Create a completely confused character line throughout the side of the car
  • Reduce the space behind the grille for intake mods
  • Do an even worse job of marrying the two cars together than Daimler did in '03
Since it's your money, not mine, this is the best idea I've seen all day. I would love to see you actually finish this project.

There's your support.

If that's still not sufficient, then perhaps you truly would be happier just buying a Mercedes if the badge means that much to you. Then, you could join THEIR forum and cuss them out for giving you an opinion AFTER YOU ASKED FOR ONE.

But seriously, you have my support. I'm sure the parts are cheap and abundant. Convert the coupe portion to the Vario Roof, while you're at it. Now THAT would be the cat's pajamas.
You may also get pulled over by the police. When they run your plate and it comes back as a Chrysler and you have Mercedes badges, they will want to talk to you about it...on the side of the road.

When I had my Stratus coupe (same as a Mitsubishi Eclipse but much sexier ) I had a "Power by Mitsubishi" emblem on the back and was stopped because they ran my plate and there were no Dodge emblems present, but there was a very small Mitsubishi one. Lesson learned.

I agree with what's already been said. If you want to waste your money and reduce the value of your car, go wild. Remember, this was a joint Chrysler/Mercedes venture. So why hide that?

Old 01-23-2012, 01:10 PM

When you ask a question and other take the time to provide an opinion that will save you time, effort and cash it is your choice to except or disgard the provided support.

It's your money, car and time. Use them to the best of your desire and when your finished post your photos.

My opinion is that you will not complete this project. If you did your wallet will be lighter and you will own a butt ugly car. Photos of said butt ugly car were previously linked for your review. However, if that's the look you want and you have the cash, go for it.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TomStratRT
You may also get pulled over by the police. When they run your plate and it comes back as a Chrysler and you have Mercedes badges, they will want to talk to you about it...on the side of the road.

When I had my Stratus coupe (same as a Mitsubishi Eclipse but much sexier ) I had a "Power by Mitsubishi" emblem on the back and was stopped because they ran my plate and there were no Dodge emblems present, but there was a very small Mitsubishi one. Lesson learned
Now that's something I never thought of. Makes me glad I took the "///AMG" off the rear bumper the prior owner had applied

BTW Teck -- what exactly is a C-170 (noted in your sig)?

Old 01-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Forum Regular

Even after the rant... it is ghastly in my opinion. if you want to do something like that you should go to a good body shop and have them do a complete kit to make it all mesh together better than the Frankenstein look you are going to end up with.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Kid, I've read this whole thread and some of your other threads/questions before, so I say this with all sincerity; You are misguided, and need to grow thicker skin. Your proposed Mod got met w/ many calling B.S. on you(partly because they felt you'd never do it, not just because it's a lame idea). Please try to be a man and learn from this. Much of this was simple constructive criticism; this sometimes happens in the real world. Perhaps you need to learn that there are other ways to tell people to F***Off without using that actual word. Our government is full of these guys that know how to do that!

Quick Reply: R-170 Front End Swap?