Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Somber announcement

Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Somber announcement

It's with a heavy heart, I regretfully have to announce the fact that at the stroke of midnight (in just a few minutes) our 2004 Crossfire is officially deminished in value. Due to the expiration of its 7 year warranty.
I can't believe how fast the last 7 years have flashed by, it seem like only yesterday I drove it home from the dealer.
I've enjoyed each and every mile, and it's been the most fun car I've owned since I purchased my AMX back in 1970.
I hope to keep right on enjoying it for at least another 7 years. (Thanks to this great forum as well).

Old 04-02-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: Somber announcement

I've enjoyed each and every mile, and it's been the most fun car I've owned since I purchased my AMX back in 1970.
Thats a mighty strong statement from an owner that has plenty other nice toys in the barn!

Good luck on another 7 years! James

Old 04-02-2012, 12:24 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come I've seen on here somewhere someone saying the warranty lasts till 2014 ?
And what is "amx"? ,amx.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 AM
FP
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the 7 years, and sorry your warranty is over. Keep enjoying the ride my friend....

Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackerman
How come I've seen on here somewhere someone saying the warranty lasts till 2014 ?
And what is "amx"? ,amx.
I'm not AMX, but this is a photo of an AMX...

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...m-g9lYvW7-K-H0

Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My biggest fear is what happens after Fred's Lifetime Powertrain Warranty expires?????

Old 04-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by +fireamx
It's with a heavy heart, I regretfully have to announce the fact that at the stroke of midnight (in just a few minutes) our 2004 Crossfire is officially deminished in value. Due to the expiration of its 7 year warranty.
Sooo... how many times have you had to actually USE your warranty since that honeymoon ride from the dealership? Have faith! The next seven years will be much like the first! ..at least since it is not a convertible with window probs.
PACEMAKER

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Received 878 Likes on 684 Posts

Now I know what your screen name means.

YOu scared me, I thought you were gonna tell us you sold the car.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When the warranty ends, the fun begins.

Time for that V-8, Mike...

Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM

It's great you have enjoyed the car for so many years. Congratulations!! Now you have many more years to enjoy it. Only have had mine for a few weeks now but hope to keep it for a long time too.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Sooo... how many times have you had to actually USE your warranty since that honeymoon ride from the dealership? Have faith! The next seven years will be much like the first! ..at least since it is not a convertible with window probs.
PACEMAKER

Actually, the only warranty work I personally received from a local dealer was a replacement battery in April of 2008. They did have the car for nearly 2 months trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, but it turned out to be Mother Nature playing a very expensive trick on me instead of anything covered under warranty.
While the car was still brand new and at the dealer, I believe they did a front end alignment, and replaced a hose before I purchased it. All under warranty.
With the exception of the gas cap umbillical cord breaking in 2005, and the original windshield wiper blades losing their "wiping edge" soon after, tires are the only other thing I've had to replace beside oil and filters.
After owning around 100 cars, the Crossfire still stands out as being my favorite. (Followed very closely by my AMX)

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx
Actually, the only warranty work I personally received from a local dealer was a replacement battery in April of 2008. They did have the car for nearly 2 months trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, but it turned out to be Mother Nature playing a very expensive trick on me instead of anything covered under warranty.
While the car was still brand new and at the dealer, I believe they did a front end alignment, and replaced a hose before I purchased it. All under warranty.
With the exception of the gas cap umbillical cord breaking in 2005, and the original windshield wiper blades losing their "wiping edge" soon after, tires are the only other thing I've had to replace beside oil and filters.
After owning around 100 cars, the Crossfire still stands out as being my favorite. (Followed very closely by my AMX)
I'm 40 days away from where you are AMX.

I have had seat heaters, head lights, a tranny sensor and a water pump replaced under warranty. At dealer prices, I think this is about $3K. And then there is the normal maintenance, on my third set of tires at 55K miles.

It has been fun, but I'm ready to bail.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kurtisberry
I'm 40 days away from where you are AMX.

I have had seat heaters, head lights, a tranny sensor and a water pump replaced under warranty. At dealer prices, I think this is about $3K. And then there is the normal maintenance, on my third set of tires at 55K miles.

It has been fun, but I'm ready to bail.
Really about 3k in maintenance?
From what I have read these xfires are pretty reliable, I suppose you either drove it to hard or got the lemon from the factory

Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not complaining because my personal history tells me that this car is not especially bad or good, but just average for warranty fixes. Still, it seems more intense than what y'all are saying as I've had an air conditioning vent replaced, a cig. lighter replaced, an oil sensor replaced, my rear hatch fixed to get rid of a rattle, two motherboards (for what turned out to not be a motherboard problem), a dome switch on hatch closing, some paintwork where the factory made a given fit too tight, and a headliner refit, all under warranty. P.S., I, too, have an LPW, and found the comment about the expiration of that warranty being, at first, one of the funniest things I've ever heard, and then on reflection, a truly tragic observation.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Time flies when you're having a good time. I am over a year without a warranty. I actually found it rather liberating to be running on my own dime. I now can find any shop that I want for maintenance. Found a good independent that works on European cars and feel better about the whole deal. Getting new pads and rotors this week.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Wish I knew of a good shop locally to service my car. That's the problem with living in a smaller town I guess. The dealer I bought the car from says they do service but he is 100 miles north of here in Detroit. It would be nice to have someone closer.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackerman
Really about 3k in maintenance?
From what I have read these xfires are pretty reliable, I suppose you either drove it to hard or got the lemon from the factory
From what you have read? Do you own one? They cost a lot to keep on the road.

How does beating a car make seat heaters or a water pump fail? Can beating a car make head lights fog over?

My car has been babied from day one, with every maintenance procedure followed to the Tee. Seldom driven hard. This is not a lemon, it is the norm. Still have my original CPS, RCM and Varta battery that most have had to repair or replace.

In the 70's I worked for a Ford subsidiary. We made most of the electronic parts for Ford. What I found most eye opening was that Mercedes used our cruise control units. Ford charged $100 as an option, Mercury and Lincoln was a $120 option. Mercedes charged $500 for the exact same unit, made in Lansdale, PA.

My water pump cost $560 from the dealer. That is a 500 % mark up, could have bought a Bosch after market unit for $110.

Parts for these cars are way over priced and vary scarce. That is why I'm getting out.