Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Unable to put car in any gear, clutch problem?

Old 10-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unable to put car in any gear, clutch problem?

Guys,

Really looking for some assistance please... Last night I put my clutch in with the car started and i heard like a clunk sensation and felt the pedal shake at the same time as the noise... Now when i put my foot down on the clutch it is very hard, almost the same hardest as putting my foot on the break. I put the clutch in as much as I can and it won't let me engage in any gear.

What do you think the problem might be? new clutch? new gearbox? new linkage?

I really hope it's not too expensive whatever it is.

I've had no problems with the clutch or selecting gears previously, The car has a manual gearbox.

Thanks in advance

Mp3wizard

Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Unable to put car in any gear, clutch problem?

Can't really tell from that description. It could be a number of things. I would start by checking the clutch linkage . As I have said before start with the small things and work up to the big, more expensive things. JMO

Old 10-13-2012, 06:33 PM

Thanks Warren, where would I start with that? I'm not expecting to be able to sort myself, but If I can identify the exact problem, then at least it'll minimise the risk of getting ripped off at the garage.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Well buddy, I don't know how mechanically apt you are but it would involve someone to check the linkage to the clutch housiing from the pedal. How you do that is something you will have to deciide. It is very hard for any of us to give a pinpoint solution to the problem. We can only advise you as you take the various steps to correct it. Sorry, wish I could give you a more definete answer to solving the problem. You have to get deeper into the diagnosis and let us know.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

haven't looked myself.. but wouldn't the downloadable service manual (in the SRT6 section of the forum) have the linkage and adjustment procedures?

Old 10-13-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
haven't looked myself.. but wouldn't the downloadable service manual (in the SRT6 section of the forum) have the linkage and adjustment procedures?
Why yes it does indeed.. check out page 2739..

Page 378 starts the clutch - master cylinder section.

Last edited by Mrmiata; 10-13-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:09 AM

So with the engine off I can put into any gear, switch the ingition on with the clutch pedal pressed down as far as possible and it jolts, so It looks like the cluth doesn't disengage properly, and it's also squaky.

So according to the service manual it should be one of two things as per below... Think I'll take it into a garage to take a look.

CLUTCH WILL NOT DISENGAGE
PROPERLY.
1. Low hydraulic clutch fluid level. 1. Replace hydraulic clutch
components as necessary.
2. Clutch cover loose. 2. Follow proper bolt tightening
procedure.
3. Clutch disc bent or distorted. 3. Replace clutch disc.
4. Clutch cover diaphragm spring
bent or warped.
4. Replace clutch cover.
5. Clutch disc installed backwards. 5. Remove and install clutch disc
correctly.
6. Clutch master or slave cylinder
failure.
6. Replace hydraulic components as
necessary.
CLUTCH PEDAL SQUEAK. 1. Pivot pin loose. 1. Tighten pivot pin if possible.
Replace clutch pedal if necessary.
2. Master cylinder bushing not
lubricated.
2. Lubricate master cylinder
bushing.
3. Pedal bushings worn out or
cracked.
3. Replace and lubricate bushings.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:38 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

How many miles? Sounds like either the clutch disc or the pressure plate has failed. Mostikely fix is going to entail dropping the transmission. Possibly failure of the hydraulic cylindrical, but if high mileage, likely clutch components themself.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

I am guessing throw-out bearing, assuming these puppies have one. I know my Audi does.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 PM

Yeah, that was going to be my next comment. They do have a throughout bearing which is driven by the slave cylinder. All of the mechanism that connects to the bearing is in the bell lhousing. Good chance something has come loose in there or the bearing has come apart. Unless somebody really dogged the car before it was put away I doubt if the pressure plate or disc would have failed that way. Again, You won't know until you look. JMO

Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 PM
Received 543 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by mp3wizard
So with the engine off I can put into any gear, switch the ingition on with the clutch pedal pressed down as far as possible and it jolts, so It looks like the cluth doesn't disengage properly, and it's also squaky.

So according to the service manual it should be one of two things as per below... Think I'll take it into a garage to take a look.
You might be needing to read this.
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...-crossfire.pdf

Old 10-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Man. You really have to" WANT" to do it, especially on the floor. I put a clutch in my Ferrari in my garage and no way was it that difficult. However different animal. I am not sure I would have attempted that without a lift. Congrats to the guy who did it. You have my vote.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

Right guys, garage have had a look at it and have said that the Hydralic slave cylinder is leaking, There need to take the gearbox out, and have said they may need to fit a clutch kit, depending on what they see. They said it'll cost about a $1000 dollars to replace the hydralic slave and fit a clutch kit (if needed)

Is there anyway to top up the fluid and do a DIY repair just to keep me going for a week or so??

If not how hard is the hydralic slave cylinder to replace? I assume it's a big job if you need to take the gearbox out.

Mileage is 85,000.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 AM

Ya know I don't know how to answer these general questions. So I will assume that you have the car now back from the shop. If so did you drive the car? Did they top off the fluid so you could drive it? Your expanation of the situation is not clear and does not have all the facts. They are telling you that they have to drop the trans. to remove the bellhouseing and get to the clutch. I am quessing at all of this, so sorry but I can't give you a answer.They should tell you if you can top off the slave cylinder and run it that way.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Warren Smith
Ya know I don't know how to answer these general questions. So I will assume that you have the car now back from the shop. If so did you drive the car? Did they top off the fluid so you could drive it? Your expanation of the situation is not clear and does not have all the facts. They are telling you that they have to drop the trans. to remove the bellhouseing and get to the clutch. I am quessing at all of this, so sorry but I can't give you a answer.They should tell you if you can top off the slave cylinder and run it that way.
The clutch shares the oil in the brake fluid reservoir, so if the slave cylinder is leaking then you will notice the oil in the master cylinder reservoir go down.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:58 AM

I knew that one hundred. What I was referring to was again the questions are so "general." I don't understand why they can't give us all the facts if they want help.. It would eliminate a lot of second quessing.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 AM

The garage had a quick look underneath and could see the Hydraulic slave cylinder was leaking, That's all the information I have, the car is still in the garage, they've stated that they can't really tell if it's just that or if there's another issue until the gearbox comes out, I've asked them to bleed the system and put in some more fliud initially to see if they can get the clutch working temporarily. I appreciate the descriptions might be a little vague but as I am not mechanically minded that's the best I could do, never the less I appreciate everyones input and hopefully it'll minimize the chances of the garage taking me to the cleaners.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Now a little bit more info. That helps. Since the car is already there you did the right thing by giving them the ok to bleed the system. If the problemis leaking they should be able to tell after doing that. At least you will get some kind of a diagnosis and will be able to start from there. " Small things first and work up to the larger ones."

Old 10-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Is it just me 180 or are we chasing our tail here.. Twice the OP has stated the garage has determined it's leaking. Bleed it to death it's still going to leak. Seems the only real question left is new clutch or not.. and that decision can only be made after taking it apart.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Is it just me 180 or are we chasing our tail here.. Twice the OP has stated the garage has determined it's leaking. Bleed it to death it's still going to leak. Seems the only real question left is new clutch or not.. and that decision can only be made after taking it apart.
I give up and agree with you. A leak is a leak is a leak. It went out with one push so I suspect something more. I never trust garages/dealers as they say whatever they feel like. Unless you know what the real facts are you are at their mercy and they know it.
Unless the reservoir is going down there is no leak.
If there is no oil on the floor there is no leak, as there is a drain hole normally so the oil does not build up in the bell housing.

Quick Reply: Unable to put car in any gear, clutch problem?