CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource

CrossfireForum - The Chrysler Crossfire and SRT6 Resource (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/)
-   Crossfire Coupe (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/)
-   -   replace engine coolant (https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/crossfire-coupe/60218-replace-engine-coolant.html)

wallace pruitt 02-18-2013 06:24 PM

replace engine coolant

Chrysler dealer wants $160.00 to replace engine coolant. Is that price about right?

ala_xfire 02-18-2013 06:44 PM

Re: replace engine coolant

2 gallons of Zerex G05 with shipping from Zoro Tools is $35.38
You would also need 2 or 3 additional gallons of distilled water from any local grocery store at about $1.25 each.
I'd say they are making $120 labor on this, as it only takes about an hour to do it.

You decide.
( I went ahead and replaced my thermostat at the same time, Rob has those for $39.95 :
Thermostat
)

Antifreeze by ZEREX - Automotive Fluids by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

BRING IT ALL BY AND I'LL DO IT FOR $100 LABOR:):):)

texas t 02-18-2013 07:01 PM

napa stocks the coolant also:D

ala_xfire 02-18-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by texas t (Post 724994)
napa stocks the coolant also:D

Well I'll be durn, they sure do !
And only $16.99 / gallon - that's a good price, and no shipping charges.

vinnys 02-18-2013 07:47 PM

Any body ever use or hear of Pentofrost NF? Stuff looks blue and is a concentrate. Made in Germany and was told MB uses it.

Indelibility 02-18-2013 08:16 PM

Aren't there 2 seperate coolant sections? I know it takes a lot, I'd take it to the dealership.

Ed Mahoney 02-19-2013 11:51 AM

two seperate coolant sections ? What ? I dont think so ! Look up how to change coolant here they have good pics on how to do it !

waldig 02-19-2013 01:00 PM

Some of us SRT types have separated the intercooler water circuit from the Radiator circuit for thermal benefits, so sorta yes there are independent water loops.

I want to see whats going on and be sure I know how its done, Id only do it myself, plus you pay yourself for the work and get the tax benefit of not paying out after tax income for a $14 dollar lot boy to maybe do it. Woody;)

GraphiteGhost 02-19-2013 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by waldig (Post 725138)
Some of us SRT types have separated the intercooler water circuit from the Radiator circuit for thermal benefits, so sorta yes there are independent water loops.

I want to see whats going on and be sure I know how its done, Id only do it myself, plus you pay yourself for the work and get the tax benefit of not paying out after tax income for a $14 dollar lot boy to maybe do it. Woody;)

;) The KEY here is SOME, the OEM system on ALL XF's are one system. ;)

wallace pruitt 02-19-2013 01:06 PM

Thank you for the information!

user 8202 02-19-2013 01:14 PM

replace engine coolant
Glad to hear you are replacing your coolant as this is often overlooked. Did mine when I purchased the Crossfire 5yrs ago. Are you doing this for preventative maintenance? Today's modern cars with their aluminum blocks and aluminum radiators, including the many plastic parts don't have the need to flush as in the past, but I continue to do it after significant mileage anyway. After the first 60k miles I would recommend to anyone to have their coolant drained and replaced....

harbor 02-19-2013 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by vinnys (Post 725002)
Any body ever use or hear of Pentofrost NF? Stuff looks blue and is a concentrate. Made in Germany and was told MB uses it.

I bet this was the factory fill : Pentosin - Antifreeze

I flushed mine for the 1st time a little over a year ago and a blue colored coolant was in the radiator as the orig fluid.

Goldwing 02-19-2013 05:16 PM

I'll be having my favorite indie shop change the coolant and brake fluid when the babies go back on the road in April. After 8 years, it's probably about time even though mileage is fairly low. My Audi A6 calls for brake fluid every 2 years regardless of mileage. Coolant gets changed every 90k when I do the timing belt (car has 214k).

vinnys 02-19-2013 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by harbor (Post 725152)

I flushed mine for the 1st time a little over a year ago and a blue colored coolant was in the radiator as the orig fluid.

Yep. Thats the stuff.

psuperti 02-21-2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by vinnys (Post 725222)
Yep. Thats the stuff.

So use pentosin or zerex? I had my coolent tested and still good on a 2004 40k miles. Never flushed so with track events coming up, should I? If not it's what mileage?

Chris L. 02-21-2013 09:20 PM

Last year I bought 3 gal Zerex G-05 & 3 gallons distilled water......(it takes 3 gallons of 50/50 for each car) that was 6 gallons of mix......one for Fred & one for Wilma.....local shop charged $15 or $20 labor / car. I did the mixing myself before taking it in to be sure we ended with a 50/50 for each.

REYMARTZ 03-01-2013 05:24 PM

I used anti-freeze from O'Reilly's. Is that bad? When im at a stop for a while. The thermostat meter crosses the half mark or the meter by a little.

harbor 03-01-2013 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by REYMARTZ (Post 727097)
I used anti-freeze from O'Reilly's. Is that bad? When im at a stop for a while. The thermostat meter crosses the half mark or the meter by a little.

Shouldn't matter if it's from O'Reillys as long as it's G05, Pentofrost or some other antifreeze that meets the spec.

I did notice that my temp gauge was a notch higher after the flush, even though I made sure it was a 50/50 mix.

Chris L. 03-01-2013 06:07 PM

There are types of antifreeze that you should not use in a Crossfire.....

syfi 03-07-2013 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by harbor (Post 725152)

This is the original coolant used in our cars:

OEM Mercedes-Benz Coolant (blue)
OE Part Number: Q1030004 (replaces older Q1030002)
M/B states that the OEM fluid should never be mixed with any other fluid, which would make me leary of using Zerex G05, unless you do a very thorough flush.

Mercedes Benz ANTICORROSIO - Q1030004

Attachment 27857